Returning to the tee

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In U.K. under CONGU rules : qualifiers for handicap - and presumably Supplementary scores- the local rule is NOT allowed.

Because of this most clubs have not introduced the model local rule for any play as it would be confusing to have different rules
Although many informal social (swindles etc) groups do use it.

Swango1980

Visit site
But likely only applied a penalty of one stroke!
True. Although, I suspect if they did that, they probably still do. Having Rules for casual golfers seems off to me, as I'm sure they just decide amongst themselves what they are happy with. It also confuses golfers actually playing in comps. Last year, we had members in comps applying this new rule when they couldn't find their ball, not realising it wasn't a rule we permitted, nor would it have been permitted anywhere for a qualifier. So, I wonder if it just caused confusion rather than being helpful?

sunshine

Visit site
I played in a flag comp this Sunday and one of my playing partners hit the tee shot off line and didn’t choose to play a provisional. After not finding the tee shot played a stroke and distance shot instead of going back to the tee. Is this correct and if so why should anybody bother with playing a provisional from the tee?

Welcome back to golf.

The missing bit of information here (for me), is what is a flag comp?
- If it's a competition of any sort that is qualifying for handicap purposes then you are not allowed to do this. If it's a stableford then the player should score 0 for that hole. If it's a medal then it is disqualification.
- If it's an informal swindle or other such friendly game then the club may have a local rule permitting this, but that's unlikely.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's a medal event then I would say if you can't find the original and don't play/can't find the provisional then you have no choice but to go back. Not seen anything at my club to the contrary. I didn't think you could choose the stroke and distance penalty unless the club had introduced it as a local rule and I know for a fact my club didn't adopt it

We haven't adopted it for comps which is a bit rich when they keep saying ready golf, pick up if you can't score. We don't want hold ups. Well introduce the rule

Played a comp yest. Both me and my pp saw my ball go into some rough.. 30 yards worth of rough before a hedge. Rolling along floor at low speed. We both searched for 3 mins were shocked it wasn't found as we both saw it and with the length of rough no way could it be in the hedge , ended up walking back to where I played from etc. Lucky we were a 2 behind a 3 with a 3 behind so we had gained some ground and nobody noticed

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We haven't adopted it for comps which is a bit rich when they keep saying ready golf, pick up if you can't score. We don't want hold ups. Well introduce the rule
Well play a provisional if the ball is not in sight.
Going back is called a 'walk of shame' for a reason.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well play a provisional if the ball is not in sight.
Going back is called a 'walk of shame' for a reason.

Why on earth would I play a provisional ball if we both see it bounce and land?

My pp ball we didn't see land but we both know that area is pretty open should we play a provisional just because we didn't see the exact spot? Sorry but that's nonsense

If you saw the shot you would understand why a provisional wasn't played

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site

Played a comp yest. Both me and my pp saw my ball go into some rough.. 30 yards worth of rough before a hedge. Rolling along floor at low speed. We both searched for 3 mins were shocked it wasn't found as we both saw it and with the length of rough no way could it be in the hedge , ended up walking back to where I played from etc. Lucky we were a 2 behind a 3 with a 3 behind so we had gained some ground and nobody noticed
If your club adopted that rule for comps, would you be able to play qualifiers? If not, how would you get handicap adjustments?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your club adopted that rule for comps, would you be able to play qualifiers? If not, how would you get handicap adjustments?
.I am very surprised we can play comps as the new holes 14-18 have patches of rough where it's free drop out as they don't want you playing in there.. one hole has it both sides

They want the gorse to grow

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
.I am very surprised we can play comps as the new holes 14-18 have patches of rough where it's free drop out as they don't want you playing in there.. one hole has it both sides

They want the gorse to grow
No problem with that if they have declared the area(s) GUR.