Returning to golf after 20 years away - clubs?

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Hi, new member here! Contemplating a return to golf after 20 years away (I'm now 42) and was wondering what wa my best option regarding clubs?

I'm on a budget of sub-£200 to start with, so do I go new box set or used - and in either case, what would I be looking for?

Thanks!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a small budget you're better to go for second hand irons, you won't get very good stuff new for under £200 I wouldn't have thought. Second hand you could get some second hand Pings, Callaways, Cobras etc from 4 or 5 years ago.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
welcome!

What did you have when you last played? A model or two back from the latest version of that might be within budget! (new versions seem to come out every 5 mins these days!!)

I am back fishing after 25 years off.... and it's all changed beyond belief, I am sure golf feels similar!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go second hand rather than not very good new ones. Stick with the main brands, Callaway, Taylor Made and Ping. Personally I would look for something from the Ping G series, how new will depend on how much you can get for your £200. If you can go up to the G25 series then they are smashing clubs for the money.

In addition to those three a good number on here have very good comments about the Benross range. You will get a lot for your money there, worth looking at.

Places to look at, Golfbidder, Golclubs4cash and of course that well known auction site.

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Thanks for the input - I had been thinking that better quality but used was better than budget new tbh (it's the same with mountain biking, my other love). I don't even remember what I had when I used to play; I think it was a £300 package set from American Golf but I've no idea what brand.

I've been finding things like this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1869869493144621/ online - Titleist DCI irons plus a couple of half decent woods, putter and a bag, to which I'd probably add a usable hybrid.
Or these Mizuno T-Zoid irons that could be the basis of an OK set: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/641983409658476/

Am I on the right lines with those? It's mainly just so I've got something that's OK enough to not put me off, but not too much shelled out if it turns out I don't have as much time to play as I thought!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have mentioned the second hand route is best.

I would not worry too much right now about getting the best fit, but unless you are very tall or very small, regular and standard should be fine.

Although even second hand, £200 is not going to get you a lot if you need a whole set.

I would start off with a set of irons, you can probably get a set of Ping G20/25 for £120/£150 if you look hard enough. A set of TM rocketbladz would also do nicely and they should be able to be had around the £100 mark.

The next thing you will need is a putter, personally I wouldn't bother with a cheaper brand. Go for an older Odyssey or even one of the Cleveland beach putters. You can probably pick up something suitable for £30 or so.

Finally you will need something a bit longer and shorter in the bag but I would say these are second in terms of the above. Either add a driver/3wood/hybrid and a sand wedge if you have some cash at the end. Driver wise I would look Ping once again, even a G10 or something would be suffice, can get them for about £30.

Dont spend too much but try and get the bigger brands and as new as possible. Feel free to ask on here before you purchase and someone will confirm if its a good deal and fit.

Welcome back and get stuck in!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the input - I had been thinking that better quality but used was better than budget new tbh (it's the same with mountain biking, my other love). I don't even remember what I had when I used to play; I think it was a £300 package set from American Golf but I've no idea what brand.

I've been finding things like this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1869869493144621/ online - Titleist DCI irons plus a couple of half decent woods, putter and a bag, to which I'd probably add a usable hybrid.
Or these Mizuno T-Zoid irons that could be the basis of an OK set: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/641983409658476/

Am I on the right lines with those? It's mainly just so I've got something that's OK enough to not put me off, but not too much shelled out if it turns out I don't have as much time to play as I thought!

The Titleist set is actually good value to start. The irons are quite old and wouldn't be the most forgiving but would work. The bag looks good and the driver is quite a recent model.

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Thanks again - I'm 6' tall on the nose so I figured standard length shafts would be OK.

I've never heard of Benross, so will keep an eye out for them - from looking at Golfbidder they seem to be the higher end of the market, so maybe if I stick with it I'll pop along to them for a second set as I'm not far from them😉

Facebook and Gumtree seem to have a few diamonds in the rough, so cheers for the pointers and I'll keep looking!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks again - I'm 6' tall on the nose so I figured standard length shafts would be OK.

QUOTE]

At 6ft you may well need clubs that are more upright and a longer shaft.

Do a static fit on the Ping website to check.

I currently have a set for the taller person on ebay Callaway Xforged (2008/2009 model) upright lie plus one inch shaft but shafts are believed to be stiff flex. Looking to end up with £90 in my pocket

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along, Try your local Gumtree online, just type in the make of clubs you want , there's usually plenty to choose from at reasonable prices. Arrange to meet the seller face to face somewhere public local or their house and pay cash after checking them out. (y)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Where are you based?
I have a set of clubs you can have for £150, not too keen on posting them though as it’s hassle and would probably cost a fortune!

jamiet7682

Visit site
Check out facebook marketplace or the buy/sell section on here. Ive used both as well as bought used and new from american golf.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I've never heard of Benross, so will keep an eye out for them - from looking at Golfbidder they seem to be the higher end of the market, so maybe if I stick with it I'll pop along to them for a second set as I'm not far from them😉

Facebook and Gumtree seem to have a few diamonds in the rough, so cheers for the pointers and I'll keep looking!
The thing with Golfbidder is they hold stock from all the big names going back. For example they have Callaway X-20 from 2008 which were good in the day, Taylormade Rocketbladez from 2012 etc so plenty of still functional sets out there for around £180. They offer a 7 day return policy and each set has a marking based on condition so you have an idea of what you are getting whereas buying off e-bay etc has risks with counterfeit, poor condition etc

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Where are you based?
I have a set of clubs you can have for £150, not too keen on posting them though as it’s hassle and would probably cost a fortune!
I'm Surrey/Hants borders area (used to play Puttenham GC as a junior guest back in the day, and Hoebridge) - anywhere close to you?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally would def go second hand.

Best bet is to look on Gumtree for someone selling a full set. Use that as a starting point and if you get the bug again, you can upgrade from that base as and when.

Edit - not to be too morbid. But you often get someone who has died and their family are selling a decent set of golf clubs, without really appreciating the value or how much it would cost to piece together.