Returning Golfer - Where to purchase from advise desperatly needed!

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
So after a long break from the game I've decided that this is the year to get back playing. I've booked a few lessons, and decided that I need to upgrade my equipment too (Got myself a cheap set of Fazers last year to see how it goes)

On my first lesson the Pro told me something I probably already knew - that the set of Fazers were pretty useless and I should look to change them ASAP. Now, this is were the touble has started! lol! It's been 10+ years since I was in the market for some clubs and wow it's changed so much!

Rather than getting into specfics about what clubs I need - I am struggling to come up with whats the best option to get me kitted out. Where is best to buy from?

1) The Pro where I am getting some lessons tells me that he can kit me out, even with second hand gear, and that's the best option (of course, he would say that!)

2) I went to American Golf today and they have some great offers on new kit (even some of last years stock and nearly half price) They said they would custom fit any new clubs too - so best to get from them (Again, they would say that too!)

3) Been scouring eBay, and there are some amazing bargains. Crazy how low some of the prices are - trying before buying is not an option, however.

Am really just after some word of advise, or any comments at all really to help me out!?!

Cheers

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome

somewhere between A and C for me depending on how much information your pro has given you on what you need and whether you trust him not to rip you off (if you have a good idea of what things sell for at the other 2 options then this is far less likely to happen)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Check the for sale section here lad. Gibbo is always looking to shift gear. You might need to lengthen them and change the lie angles though.....

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oi!!

I have a cracking set of Callaway X Tour forged, cavity backed irons, forged and really decent nick with Golf Pride multi compound grips, Dynamic Gold S300 shafts they are standard length and lie btw!!!!

Also 2 jaws wedges gap and sand wedge and a driver... might be able to agree a price and save you a hell of a lot of £££

;)

Lydo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're on a budget 2nd hand from is the way to go, cos obviously u cant get custom fitted on the stuff from ebay, so the clubs might not suit you.

If you go to American golf make sure once you are fitted that you look on the internet and get them to pricematch the set from somewhere online cheaper. The only thing about American golf is that they'll try and force specific clubs on you as they as on commission on certain models, or so i've heard.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you decide to go down the second hand route, there is plenty of quality gear in the for sale section.

As a guide..

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?52495-Full-set-of-Callaway-clubs-for-sale

..... And of course

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...-A-few-Mizuno-bits&highlight=mizuno+bits+sale

As with anything it all depends on how much you're willing to spend?

If you're flush buying new is always good, but saying that second hand will give you plenty of bang for your buck!!

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to say i had a lot of luck on ebay.. ...custom fit - not so much!

Pays your money, takes your chance.

Guaranteed, you will want to change in a years time anyway, especially if you hang around here because someone will gush about a wonderful new bit of kit they bought and will get you thinking, "hmmm thats just what i need"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Support your local pro. Wouldn't trust AG to fit me and chances are they will foist certain makes at you. Plenty of bargains to be had second hand and makes like G20, Cally X20 etc should be around at good prices

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for all the info, lads.

Will checkout the Sale section on here. As with most people at the moment I am on a budget, and I love a bargain so Second Hand would be best!

To be honest (although I have only had one lesson) I haven't taken to the pro that much, and was a bit put back with how frank he was about my current clubs. I do agree with him, and I want to change the clubs, but I just got the feeling he was trying to get some more cash out of me on my first lesson!

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Guaranteed, you will want to change in a years time anyway, especially if you hang around here because someone will gush about a wonderful new bit of kit they bought and will get you thinking, "hmmm thats just what i need"

This was my first thought to be honest.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Forget AG!!

Get yourself down to your local Direct Golf!! I have always loved the service from there and their staff are always top class and provide me with a fabulous service! Even now when I go into store to use their driving range they ask how I am getting on with the clubs and how my lessons are going!

GO TO DG!!!!!!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Support your Pro. He may be dearer but loyalty will be worth it in time.

AG or anyone else wont let you try gear on your course or offer the odd free tip/lesson.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it all depends on what level you are at. What was your handicap when you stopped all those years ago and what do you think it roughly is now. If its total beginner level then a second hand set off the shelf is the way to get started. If your at a level where you have a decent swing and can hit a ball then I'd look to go get fitted out first and see what you need then look to second hand to try get them.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no reason your pro would want to rip you off. He needs the repeat business so wants you to come back, he has offered you second hand clubs too. I would stick with him.