Retro 3 woods ??

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Been playing around with 3 woods trying to find the holy grail 😂 my old man got a Taylormade 200 series and a tm vsteel up the loft so going to give them a bash I used to play a tm 360ti driver when I was a junior 16years ago 😵so quite looking forward to having a play around with the older clubs .Anyone still play as such what’s your views ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a Cleveland Classic that was new in 2013.

Not quite retro, but looks a bit retro.

It’s probably the most reliable club in my bag so no plans to change it.

Seems a lot of pros keep older 3 woods in play and when you have a good one, it’s tricky to find a better one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been using a 2014 Big Bertha 3 wood set at 16 or 17°, on and off, since it came out....struggle to find something I hit better.
When they start getting much older than about 2010 they'll start to lack a lot of the newer tech that really does make a difference, especially in a fairway where there are fewer CoR restraints.
One of the YouTube channels put a 90's Callaway Steelhead against a modern equivalent and the oldie was left for dust.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still play my 15* v steel, it does exactly what I want yardage wise and is a beautiful shape so don't bother looking at anything else. Also have a 13* ts for windy days. Some new ones go the same distance as a driver with too little spin to make then playable for fairway shots.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I was only going to have a play see how they compare can’t see either of the older clubs being kept in the bag but if I get the right flight and yardage off either who knows

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was good n about this the other month when i dug out a wooden headed Ping and 3 wood plus a MacArthur 3 wood. I couldn't hit a thing with them but a PP was smashing it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a titleist tornado 2 from the early 90's, the head is literally the same size as a golf ball. It's good to hit but obviously very unforgiving

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm still playing both 3 and 5 wood V-Steels.
Am I the only one still rocking stiff steel shafts? Bought the graphite equivalents but they don't have the feel and weight I like that comes from steel.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Still play my 15* v steel, it does exactly what I want yardage wise and is a beautiful shape so don't bother looking at anything else. Also have a 13* ts for windy days. Some new ones go the same distance as a driver with too little spin to make then playable for fairway shots.
I had the Tour Smoothie for a long while too and it was a great club, especially for windy days (esp. on links). Passed it on ('permanent loan') to a Pro mate who eventually caved face in. We (He) rescued the Matrix Code 8 which is still about somewhere waiting for an appropriate head.

3-woods are very much 'personal preference' clubs. Henrik Stenson has a 2009 head (or at least did last year), though it's 13*, so it's a 2 really.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm still playing both 3 and 5 wood V-Steels.
Am I the only one still rocking stiff steel shafts? Bought the graphite equivalents but they don't have the feel and weight I like that comes from steel.
Graphite, being lighter, tends to allow faster clubhead speed and greater distance, at least off the fairway; Steel's weight tends to allow club to get through dodgy lies better. That's from personal experience/experiment a while ago. I tried carrying 1 of each a couple of times a long while ago, but that (mixed balance I believe) turned out to be rather a disaster!

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Do not carry a 3 wood any longer. I am using a Tour Edge HL2 19 degree 5 wood as part of a matched custom fit set and I have to say modern fairway woods seem to perform better than older ones I have tried.

Wolf

Visit site
Old school classic there Bob absolutely love it. Ugly as sin but a good bloody club.

😂that’s classic I remember them ,the tisi drivers too

Now those were UGLY Drivers but I had one with a Grafalloy blue shaft, absolutely sensational club literally couldn't miss a fairway with it, probably one of the best I've ever owned.

Wolf

Visit site
Screenshot_20190420_225943.jpg
Still got one of these from my junior days along with the matching driver, both clubs sounded like hitting a ball with a frying pan but they were both awesome clubs.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 27130
Still got one of these from my junior days along with the matching driver, both clubs sounded like hitting a ball with a frying pan but they were both awesome clubs.
The old Titleist clubs were great I had a 975d which was a solid club I replaced this later with a 975jvs which was the longest thing I’d ever hit at the time. I’d love to see how it would compare to my current m4

Wolf

Visit site
The old Titleist clubs were great I had a 975d which was a solid club I replaced this later with a 975jvs which was the longest thing I’d ever hit at the time. I’d love to see how it would compare to my current m4
I'm inclined to agree I had those 2 clubs, the old DCI irons which were lovely but nowadays don't particularly like their new incarnations or Wedges. But I'd happily put those old clubs back in the bag