Retrieving Ball Safely without touching the flagstick

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had three members DQd at the weekend .
Holding the flag To keep it centred , as the wind was a gale force.
It’s not just windy on the links.

It puts me off on short putts when the flag is moving around.
But we have been told not to touch it.
Schoolboy error as one of them shot 68 for second place.

That is allowed!
I would be fighting this if I were on the receiving end of a stupid decision.
https://www.randa.org/en/news/2020/03/covid-19-related-guidance-on-the-rules-of-golf

Visit site
Thank you Saint Hacker for your sensible assessment. Don't you think we are all getting I teeny bit precious with all this?
All bar one of my midweek PPs are over 70, and I haven't heard one of them worry about touching the flag stick as they pick the ball out of the hole. Nor do they spray the ball with sanitizer or anything like that. We are just playing a normal round of golf with the cup nearer the surface, and certainly no lifting mechanisms. I actually don't like the flag kept in, but rules are rules.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had three members DQd at the weekend .
Holding the flag To keep it centred , as the wind was a gale force.
It’s not just windy on the links.

It puts me off on short putts when the flag is moving around.
But we have been told not to touch it.
Schoolboy error as one of them shot 68 for second place.
Why would you get disqualified? Attending the flag is still within the rules isn't it? Touching it breaks health guidelines but not golf rules?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Allow players to centre the flagstick in a safe manner which does not involve using the hand, even when wearing a glove or using a towel (for example, by using a club). The centring of the flagstick may be allowed while another player putts (this may be desirable in windy conditions when the flagstick is required to be left in the hole and is leaning towards the player making the stroke).

So can you only use a club to centre the flag. Also, how can you stop it moving around in strong winds like we had this weekend:unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under Covid rules you can’t touch the flag with your hand.
But you can with a club.
But that's not a golf rule is it?? You shouldn't be disqualified from a comp for it! That's just for health and safety in the current climate isn't it. That's different surely?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I thought you were allowed to touch the flag to centre it, just not with your hand, so an elbow or forearm could do.
Our place started back in May using the upturned cups, they were too shallow and the ball wouldnt stay in it to count as holed.
Thick foam inserts came the following week, I thought they worked really well, no bounce outs and two fingers had the ball out easily enough.
These were replaced with the thick full sleeve putt buddy devices, I couldnt stand them as they blocked the ball dropping when putting into any sort of wind, I suggested cutting around 270 degrees out of the section that would interfere with the ball so that it would allow the ball to drop without coming in contact with anything but the original flag. The greenkeeper tried it on one but only milled out two sides rather than leaving one single support which could be lined up behind the pin. I think there must have been quite a few complaints over the thicker putt buddys as they were replaced again this week with the javelin type which is isn't a sleeve, more of a dipstick connected to the plastic base that lifts out with a putter lifting the lever. I played like an absolute beginner but couldn't fault the new type, I still much prefer the flag out when putting though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought you were allowed to touch the flag to centre it, just not with your hand, so an elbow or forearm could do.
Our place started back in May using the upturned cups, they were too shallow and the ball wouldnt stay in it to count as holed.
Thick foam inserts came the following week, I thought they worked really well, no bounce outs and two fingers had the ball out easily enough.
These were replaced with the thick full sleeve putt buddy devices, I couldnt stand them as they blocked the ball dropping when putting into any sort of wind, I suggested cutting around 270 degrees out of the section that would interfere with the ball so that it would allow the ball to drop without coming in contact with anything but the original flag. The greenkeeper tried it on one but only milled out two sides rather than leaving one single support which could be lined up behind the pin. I think there must have been quite a few complaints over the thicker putt buddys as they were replaced again this week with the javelin type which is isn't a sleeve, more of a dipstick connected to the plastic base that lifts out with a putter lifting the lever. I played like an absolute beginner but couldn't fault the new type, I still much prefer the flag out when putting though.
Are you sure they were puttbuddy? They only have one rod and that is close to the flagstick.IMG_1477.jpeg

Edit: Just noticed your comment re 'thicker' and realised we must have a 'slim' version as the picture above isn't quite what we've got. It is certainly seems to be a slimmer rod.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
we use these

These work pretty well as long as they are in the hole. The flag stick is a little thicker at ground level, but not had any issues putting out. However, the ball lifter can get stuck in the raised position at times. Played behind a 4 ball of our long term older members last night. They left the ball lifter in the raised position on virtually every hole, had to go knock it back down before putting out.:rolleyes: