Replacing my irons - Titleist or TaylorMade

Mike79

Visit site
Yeah, so the regular tri spec will be about 25% heavier than the stock Sim max, and the sim max 7 iron has 28.5 degrees loft compared to your current 35 degrees.

Unfortunately for you, you're looking to replace a quality players forged cavity back, which in my view the Sim max will never keep up with...

Maybe my money is better spend on lessons then...

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Definately worth getting a lesson, even if its for no other reason than starting a relationship with a local pro. They're a great resource for advice on equipment and will be able to see if anything about your current clubs are holding you back.

Obviously more research though, not all pros are created equal! The forum can probably help though...

TogoPresley

Visit site
Maybe my money is better spend on lessons then...
I would go for a fitting, sounds like it worked well for past 14 years. IMHO from recent experience there are so many comparable heads that the difference between them for most people would be negligible, but the shafts vary a lot. Not just the flex and the weight, but balance points, launch and spin profiles etc. You may find out that you're playing the exact heads you suit and you need to switch the shafts?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would just go and try a few diff clubs and see what suits you best rather than restrict yourself to to one brand without trying the others.
I switched from a set of blades at the end of last year to GI clubs, they go high and straight and are 2 clubs at least longer, they do have strong lofts of course but the confidence of hitting a 7 iron comp to my Sunday best 5 has been a revelation. Gone from 4/5 this year to the edge of 2

Mike79

Visit site
Have you looked at the Mizuno 921 hot metals

I have now :eek:

Side by side against the Sim Max, the 921 felt miles better. Didn’t agree with the Sim Max iron at all. Something just didn’t feel right. So they are out of the equation.

Custom fittings have a 3 week lead time and then 8-12 weeks for the clubs to arrive.

I’ve seen the previous model 919 at a good price, but obviously no custom fitting option on that. Could only custom fit on the current 921 model.

Guess I need to do more range time comparing current set against a couple of others to see what’s what.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Side by side against the Sim Max, the 921 felt miles better. Didn’t agree with the Sim Max iron at all. Something just didn’t feel right. So they are out of the equation.

Custom fittings have a 3 week lead time and then 8-12 weeks for the clubs to arrive.

I’ve seen the previous model 919 at a good price, but obviously no custom fitting option on that. Could only custom fit on the current 921 model.

Guess I need to do more range time comparing current set against a couple of others to see what’s what.
Pay for the custom fit, get your specs .
Buy the previous model in them specs.
Can’t be to much difference in the performance.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got the 919 hot metals, had the jpx900 tours before and I was pushed to tell the difference between these and the forged.
it's about getting the right shaft,for me it was the Nippon 950GH .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I've the hot metal pro, and these are night and day comp to the 919, nor sure what they have done with the 21, but it's far superior.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tried the 919 when they came out, I tend to get invited to try any of the new mizuno irons when they come out as my mate is the mizuno pro in sneck. The 919 were unremarkable, in that they were not that muck more forgiving or longer than my blades apart from the obvious strong lofts, the new ones ate something else thought ?

Mike79

Visit site
I think I’m going to line up a fitting and go in with an open mind. Explain my game as it is today. Hopefully they get me to hit my irons then make some recommendations as to what could work well. Then focus on on specific sets to fine tune. Right now I’m basing it on what looks good and what’s available on a good deal off the rack.

Thanks for all the input - appreciated!

Mike79

Visit site
Had a hit of a T300 this morning along side my 755.

755 has it for feel, T300 much longer. I think I was more consistent with the 755 but it’s the club I’m used to.

Booked in on Friday for a custom fitting session for Ping G425 and as there are no more custom fittings on the current Titleist irons, will try a stock T200 and T300 to see their stats in comparison to see if off the rack works.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a hit of a T300 this morning along side my 755.

755 has it for feel, T300 much longer. I think I was more consistent with the 755 but it’s the club I’m used to.

Booked in on Friday for a custom fitting session for Ping G425 and as there are no more custom fittings on the current Titleist irons, will try a stock T200 and T300 to see their stats in comparison to see if off the rack works.
Mizuno not an option ?