Replacing my irons - Titleist or TaylorMade

Mike79

Visit site
The place I went to don’t stock them unfortunately - only Ping, Titleist or Callaway. Now you mention Mizuno again I might find somewhere that stocks the lot.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have now :eek:

Side by side against the Sim Max, the 921 felt miles better. Didn’t agree with the Sim Max iron at all. Something just didn’t feel right. So they are out of the equation.

Custom fittings have a 3 week lead time and then 8-12 weeks for the clubs to arrive.

I’ve seen the previous model 919 at a good price, but obviously no custom fitting option on that. Could only custom fit on the current 921 model.

Guess I need to do more range time comparing current set against a couple of others to see what’s what.

Another vote for the Mizuno 921 Hot Metals, had mine for just over two weeks and had my first handicap cut in 4 years.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally, I can't see the point of changing irons you are satisfied with in the first place!
There hasn't been much real development in iron technology for the last 20 years - just gradual decrease in loft and some shifting of weight to give the (false!) impression that they are longer than in the past!
I'm certainly happy with my 20+ year old irons, even if the shafts are probably now a smidgeon too stiff for me - softer shafts would likely mean that I 'spray' it more than i currently do!
The golf club selling/sales business is, imo, pretty corrupt for many folk. And I've certainly been a 'willing' victim of those aspirations! Notwithstanding the aforementioned loft 'cheating', I've been guilty of thinking the 'latest/greatest' heads/shafts are 'right' for me - though some actually have performed very well!

Last edited:

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a hit of a T300 this morning along side my 755.

755 has it for feel, T300 much longer. I think I was more consistent with the 755 but it’s the club I’m used to.

Booked in on Friday for a custom fitting session for Ping G425 and as there are no more custom fittings on the current Titleist irons, will try a stock T200 and T300 to see their stats in comparison to see if off the rack works.

Curious - why are there no more custom fittings on Titleists? Aren’t they still relatively new?