Removing a playing partner's ball from the hole

messi1

Visit site
The scenario - you play your third shot to a par 5 from 60/70 yards and hole out for eagle. As you approach the green one of your playing partners, before removing the flag, removes your ball from the hole and throws it to you with a compliment. I believe this (I may be wrong) to be against the rules and perhaps this should result in a one or two stroke penalty. As it turned out a fellow member from the group behind immediately approaches you stating that you are disqualified from the competition as you did not remove your own ball from the hole. Am I not right in saying that disqualification should only occur if the eagle was signed for at the end of play instead of the correct score with an additional one or two shot penalty i.e. a 4 or 5. Petty or what??

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't see a problem. If the balls sitting in the bottom of the cup and not resting against the flag, the holes finished. I've often picked out a FC's ball if I've been tending the flag and they sink the putt.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ball is in the hole so the ball is not in play - you can't be penalised for touching a ball that is not in play. IMO player in group behind is talking complete tosh. Different if the ball is not in the hole and is actually being prevented from dropping by the flag stick. Then you (or you caddy) have to remove the flag and if the ball drops then fine - if it doesn't and pops out then tough - console yourself with the thought that you have a nice short tap-in.

Last edited:

messi1

Visit site
Cheers for the responses folks. Me thinks I'll be hoisting the member ;). If there are any club pro's or anyone who plays to a high level out there who are up to speed with the rules could you shed some light on this. I have heard people say that this is a penalty but immediate dq? Highly unlikely!!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the responses folks. Me thinks I'll be hoisting the member ;). If there are any club pro's or anyone who plays to a high level out there who are up to speed with the rules could you shed some light on this. I have heard people say that this is a penalty but immediate dq? Highly unlikely!!

Next time hand them a rule book and ask them to show you the rule they think you have supposedly broken.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
T As it turned out a fellow member from the group behind immediately approaches you stating that you are disqualified from the competition as you did not remove your own ball from the hole.

It doesn't pay to think you have heard them all. Someone is bound to come along with a new one. Thanks Messi, I love that one.

I find it such a pain these days to reach down to tbe bottom of the hole for my ball, I am utterly delighted if anyone else takes it out for me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So many rule myths to break, so little time to break them all.

I usually just ask " are you making the rules up as you go along?"

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ball is in the hole so the ball is not in play - you can't be penalised for touching a ball that is not in play. IMO player in group behind is talking complete tosh. Different if the ball is not in the hole and is actually being prevented from dropping by the flag stick. Then you (or you caddy) have to remove the flag and if the ball drops then fine - if it doesn't and pops out then tough - console yourself with the thought that you have a nice short tap-in.

You don't have to remove the flag. Yesterday Poulter holed one with the flag in and it sort of wedged against the stick. He just waggled the pin until the ball dropped then reached in and took it out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't have to remove the flag. Yesterday Poulter holed one with the flag in and it sort of wedged against the stick. He just waggled the pin until the ball dropped then reached in and took it out.

Sorry - yes I realise that :thup:but same applies. Wiggle it and if it pops out then tough :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is 1 circumstance where this 'myth' does have validity.

The ball has to be 'holed' - defined as:

A ball is "holed" when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole.

17-4 is the relevant Rule (Ball Resting Against Flagstick) - and there's Decisions based on differing circumstances. 17-4/3 would probably the relevant one in this case (ball lodged against Flagstick removed by unauthorised person).

In Strokeplay, Should the ball not actually be holed before teeing off on the next hole (or all players leave green if last hole), player is DQ-ed from comp.

So, as usual, there is a sort of basis for the 'myth'!

Key first question though is 'was the ball actually holed?' If the answer was 'Yes', then just tell him and laugh at the pillock!
Interesting that he decided to come all the way to the green to tell you too!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Oops. Forgot the 'unrelated' bit.

I presume you were talking about Fellow Competitors as opposed to Playing Partners. There's a difference.

FCs are competing individually, as are you. PPs are part of the same team as you.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oops. Forgot the 'unrelated' bit.

I presume you were talking about Fellow Competitors as opposed to Playing Partners. There's a difference.

FCs are competing individually, as are you. PPs are part of the same team as you.

A Competitor is a player in a stroke-play competition. A Fellow Competitor is any person in the same group with whom the Competitorplays. Neither is a Partner of the other.

Playing Partners are not defined but the term is used (often on TV) to mean Fellow Competitor.

A Partner is a player on your side playing a match or a fourball or foursome strokeplay competition.

Depending on the form of play and the type of competition members of a team may be playing as individuals or as partners. The term is not defined.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I played at the weekend with some of our club's more senior citizens. Rather than see them struggle to pick the ball out of the hole, and being a little younger and almost house trained, I picked the ball out for them. I really must stop.

Can you imagine the play-off for the Open, as one player sprints to the cup, picks out his opponent's ball out of the cup tosses it to him and tells to remember to add the penalty shot/s. I have visions of Steve Williams rugby-tackling Tiger to allow Adam to pick Tiger's ball out and cost him penalty shots.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played at the weekend with some of our club's more senior citizens. Rather than see them struggle to pick the ball out of the hole, and being a little younger and almost house trained, I picked the ball out for them. I really must stop.

Stop? Please don't stop. Just emigrate to Edinburgh, join Baberton GC and pick my ball out the hole any time.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Stop? Please don't stop. Just emigrate to Edinburgh, join Baberton GC and pick my ball out the hole any time.

You could always get one of those little gadgets that go on the handle of your putter for picking the ball out of the hole :D

I think M&S do them around Christmas time :thup: