Remembrance Day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had two minutes silence on the course (in middle of captains drive in comp), a flag on 18th green with poppy emblem and poppies as tee marker. Also the greens staff painted a poppy onto the grass outside the patio just beyond 18th green

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We normally have a "poppy flag" out on specific holes on Remembrance Sunday. . Eg in 2016 it was a special flag commemorating 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme flag on 16th hole. This year it was a special 1918-2018 flag on 18th commemorating end of WW1 - a rather nice flag with a verse of Binyon's poem "For the Fallen" ("They shall grow not old ...) on it. Shame that due to torrential overnight rain, our annual commemorative "international" competition had to be cancelled & course was closed.

Ps. We also always sound the klaxon to signal the start & end of 2min silence.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if i was any good with technology i'd post the picture, but nice touch at our place, as well as the flags on 9 and 18, greenkeeper had painted a large poppy on the hill just short of the 11th green

D

Deleted Member 1156

Flags on both 11th and 18th plus 2 minute silence. Confused the hell out of me on the 11th as we have red flags for front positions and it was at the back of the green :sleep::ROFLMAO:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It absolutely hosed it down in East Kent yesterday morning so I've no idea what my Club did, just pleased to see on tv that London didn't get the weather we did

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A couple of years back a klaxon went at 11 for everyone to stop playing. Naturally a pair of utter morons started yelling from back down the fairway for our group to get off the green so they could play. Pretty much every group on the course that saw it had words with them at some point. Total lack of respect and they didn't give a toss about what they had done.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reviving an old thread but can any one who has served explain to me why there are different salutes? Just watching the start of Wolves v Arsenal and they had serving military on the pitch as part of the minute's silence/minute of reflection. During the Last Post some were saluting with their fingers vertical, perpendicular to the ground while others were saluting with their fingers horizontal or perpendicular to the ground. Is there a reason for this and is it defined by which branch of service they are in?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Army & RAF has palms forward
Navy has palms down

Scouts is little finger and thumb touching, other 3 fingers straight, palm forward.

Guides is the same as scouts, but at shoulder height, forearm vertical

Benny Hill is an army salute in front of the face

?

D

Deleted member 15344

Army & RAF has palms forward
Navy has palms down

Scouts is little finger and thumb touching, other 3 fingers straight, palm forward.

Guides is the same as scouts, but at shoulder height, forearm vertical

Benny Hill is an army salute in front of the face

?

RAF and Army are the same - palms out

Navy palms down - due to historical their palms were always dirty and didn’t want to show dirty pains to the king/queen

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RAF and Army are the same - palms out

Navy palms down - due to historical their palms were always dirty and didn’t want to show dirty pains to the king/queen

True dat.

I hasten to add they were dirty due to oils and grease and not Just because we were crabby ?

I’m also led to believe that the boot necks (royal marines) salute like the Army in order to show an open palm. This ensured they where not concealing a dagger. Might be mumbo jumbo that thought. Still it’s a good dit.

Whilst we are on the subject of differences between the 3 branches of the armed forces.

There’s a difference in the way the Royal Navy stand to attention compared to the other lot

Our (allowed) physical behaviour during the national anthem differs as well.

Prizes for those who can guess what and more Importantly why?

Ps. Not you Phil. I know you know ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
True dat.

I hasten to add they were dirty due to oils and grease and not Just because we were crabby ?

I’m also led to believe that the boot necks (royal marines) salute like the Army in order to show an open palm. This ensured they where not concealing a dagger. Might be mumbo jumbo that thought. Still it’s a good dit.

Whilst we are on the subject of differences between the 3 branches of the armed forces.

There’s a difference in the way the Royal Navy stand to attention compared to the other lot

Our (allowed) physical behaviour during the national anthem differs as well.

Prizes for those who can guess what and more Importantly why?

Ps. Not you Phil. I know you know ?

I’ll have a guess that the Navy have feet either slightly apart or with toes turned out to counter the rolling motion of the ship and keep them upright?

Your point about the open hand salute is also why we shake hands right handed, as that was normally the hand in which a weapon was held; using the right hand was seen as a sign of trust as you were unarmed.