Relaxation of C19 restrictions

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So should they (the R&A) not be the one’s rescinding….?
No. The R&A simply gave permission to the national authorities around the world. The national authorities used the dispensations appropriately according to their circumstances. Have Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Japan etc done or changed anything?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our greenstaff have been maintaining bunkers to normal standards every day. There is always a perfect preferred lie.

You may play at a course where they have sufficient green staff to do that. I do not. Our bunkers only get done twice a week under normal circumstances.

There again lies one of the problems I bet most EG and R&A staff play at a similar course to you but do not see the the problems at average level courses.

Courses need time to get things back to the way they were and a lot probably cannot do it overnight.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may play at a course where they have sufficient green staff to do that. I do not. Our bunkers only get done twice a week under normal circumstances.

There again lies one of the problems I bet most EG and R&A staff play at a similar course to you but do not see the the problems at average level courses.

Courses need time to get things back to the way they were and a lot probably cannot do it overnight.
How many comps will you be running in the few days between yesterday and mid next week? If a member complains get them to sort the bunkers on one hole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many comps will you be running in the few days between yesterday and mid next week? If a member complains get them to sort the bunkers on one hole.

Our first comp is on Monday morning 19th July starting at 7.30. Tuesday is bunker day anyway.

All EG/ R&A needed to do was to have a 'Grace Period' total lack of thought as to how it would work in the real world in my opinion.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our first comp is on Monday morning 19th July starting at 7.30. Tuesday is bunker day anyway.

All EG/ R&A needed to do was to have a 'Grace Period' total lack of thought as to how it would work in the real world in my opinion.
It not the responsibility of the R&A. The dispensation is still available in those countries that want to use it. But I agree about EG. I wonder if the other CONGU unions will think about it.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Would the clubs not be able to do this with a local rule sanctioned or not?
Just make the comp a NQ.
Just keep the preffered lies for a week but have the rakes there anyway.
Give the staff time to catch up. Not all clubs have lots of staff!
Putting in ridged rules straight away atm dosnt make much sense.
The way it’s going we could be in a lockdown again if people just throw caution to the wind.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would the clubs not be able to do this with a local rule sanctioned or not?
Just make the comp a NQ.
In effect that's what they have said. No one has said you can't play golf.

But I wonder how many bunkers are actually worse at the end of a normal day's play than now. Especially if clubs only tidy their bunkers twice a week.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think CONGU trumped the EG announcement by saying that all the Covid rules were rescinded for it to be a valid competition.

All restrictions on touch points are removed. All adjustments to the Rules of Golf to cover the COVID pandemic are rescinded. Flagsticks may be removed and the hole must conform to the Rules of Golf such that the definition of a Ball Holed is once more enforced (noting the exception in Rule 13.2 – Ball Resting Against Flagstick). With no restrictions on bunker rakes on the course, a local rule to allow preferred lies in bunkers is not permitted (apart from situations already covered under the Rules of Golf and the appropriate Model Local Rules utilised) and generally making all bunkers GUR is no longer permitted. Rule 3.3b (scoring in Stroke Play) is reinstated fully and a return to a ‘normal’ method of attestation must be used for physical scorecards. Any use of electronic scorecards must fully implement the requirements of this rule

Applies to England Golf only (at the moment)

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In effect that's what they have said. No one has said you can't play golf.

But I wonder how many bunkers are actually worse at the end of a normal day's play than now. Especially if clubs only tidy their bunkers twice a week.[/QUOTE

there bad.
Some players take the lack of a rake to just walk in and just walk out.
Not even an attempt to smooth.