Region3 - Draw with the driver

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What shape do you get?

Most of the possible ones. On 'clean' hits mostly straight, pull, push draw or fade. 90% of the time I'm trying to hit it straight. The only one I can mostly produce when I try is a fade.

Standing further away would cause the toe to come up and subsequently the clubface would be pointing more left.

So since drivers can't be adjusted for lie angle in a custom fit, wouldn't someone who has their irons flat have the toe up on a driver?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So since drivers can't be adjusted for lie angle in a custom fit, wouldn't someone who has their irons flat have the toe up on a driver?

Possibly, depending on why they have the irons flat (irons are hit more steeply). I'd also say that you're more likely to see a driver sitting on it's heel than any other club (apart from Smiffy's putter!).

On 'clean' hits mostly straight, pull, push draw or fade.

LOL, make it easy why don't ya!

So a bit of everything? Most people can get the fade as it doesn't require you to get forward ....and it's helped by having the ball on a tee so if anything they will fall backwards.

Are you desperate to hit a draw? It IS a lot easier to fade a driver. The key to hitting a draw is swingpath, swingpath and swingpath. Once you know how to adjust that you should nail it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you desperate to hit a draw? It IS a lot easier to fade a driver. The key to hitting a draw is swingpath, swingpath and swingpath. Once you know how to adjust that you should nail it.

I'm not desperate to hit a draw, but it would be nice to be able to.
At my course there are a few holes where a draw would help, but only 1 that would be made a LOT easier if I could rely on a draw.

Looking at the various shot shapes I get when trying to hit it straight it's a miracle I ever get round near handicap. It's not like I have a red hot short game either.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very interesting read even for a man who doesn't do the range/practice/lessons thing or have a huge understanding of the golf swing.

If I remember right you are a far better golfer than I am. Do you shape your shots by 'just doing it' naturally, or do you not try to mess around with shaping the ball much?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to throw a little complication into this. The 'D Plane' / New ball flight laws work on the basis that you are striking the ball out of the sweetspot. If you hit near the tow or heel (Especially with a driver) you will get something called the gear effect, due to the face curvature. This will have an effect on the way the ball spins off the clubface.

This link explains it well:

http://www.golfclub-technology.com/gear-effect.html

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to throw a little complication into this. The 'D Plane' / New ball flight laws work on the basis that you are striking the ball out of the sweetspot. If you hit near the tow or heel (Especially with a driver) you will get something called the gear effect, due to the face curvature. This will have an effect on the way the ball spins off the clubface.

This link explains it well:

http://www.golfclub-technology.com/gear-effect.html

Thats one I have noticed, thanks for posting that link. Helps to explain where the odd draw tee shot comes from.