Refereeing, again.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, two games ruined by shocking refereeing again today. Southampton utterly shafted by Mark Clattenburg (again), and Liverpool denied at least one absolute stonewall penalty by Howard Webb, who is apparently the top ref in the country. This is becoming a common theme every weekend now, and with so much money etc riding on each game, is it fair to have people so obviously not up to the job in charge? Is it time to bring in video refs in the stands? Extra officials as the have in UCL games? Or is there genuinely an agenda at the FA towards certain clubs?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Points are being binned on a weekly basis due to poor decisions or lack of balls to make them)
Webb is a good ref and sees most things for himself but he really dropped a clanger in that incident today. Gary Neville (Mr ManU) even couldnt believe it. The Man City match could have been very different too when Sterlings run from yards onside was flagged by what looked like an unfit linesman. As much as I hate to say it, Liverpool will struggle to get top three as long as wrong (or lack of) decisions repeatedly go against them.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, two games ruined by shocking refereeing again today. Southampton utterly shafted by Mark Clattenburg (again), and Liverpool denied at least one absolute stonewall penalty by Howard Webb, who is apparently the top ref in the country. This is becoming a common theme every weekend now, and with so much money etc riding on each game, is it fair to have people so obviously not up to the job in charge? Is it time to bring in video refs in the stands? Extra officials as the have in UCL games? Or is there genuinely an agenda at the FA towards certain clubs?

Have you ever seen one of those extra officials in the UCL make a decision?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no allegiance to either Chelsea or Liverpool but Howard Webb completely bottled the penalty decision!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree with all said here. Did anybody see the AV v West Ham game on MOTD where there was 2 studs up over the ball tackles ad not one red card?!? The scissor tackle on Lucas was also a shocker.... A month ago people were seeing red for these... Consistency please....

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree with all said here. Did anybody see the AV v West Ham game on MOTD where there was 2 studs up over the ball tackles ad not one red card?!? The scissor tackle on Lucas was also a shocker.... A month ago people were seeing red for these... Consistency please....

Same again yesterday, Carlton Cole foot up straight into the WBA lads leg, left with two huge stud marks down his thigh. Straight red, no question. So he gets away with a yellow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The extra refs started in the Europa League and I never saw them give a single decision especially anything controversial like a penalty. They seemed just competent enough to give corner or goal kick. I do think Liverpool were denied a penalty. I'm sure the standard of refereeing in the PL has dropped but is still better than much on offer around Europe.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Every weekend is littered with them so it amazes me that folk are surprised by it.

Yesterday Rooney staying on the pitch was a puzzle....the list could go on and on,my team had a shocking offside decision go against them but hey why worry there will be dozens more before the season ends!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These things have a tendency to even themselves out over the season...so I wouldn't worry. At the end of the day, there is a human element in every decision made. One ref might see a certain challenge as a booking, one ref might think it is a sending off. I think we just have to accept that and move on. Football is a fast paced game, and introducing "video refs" would just ruin the sport. The goal-line tech has been a great decision, as it takes less than a second (i believe) for an answer to be given...so it doesn't slow down play so much

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because, as we all know, refereeing a game played by uber-fast, uber-fit professional cheats and no replays is really very, very easy.
Strikers miss sitters, goalkeepers miss easy saves, defenders miss easy tackles/interceptions and referees miss obvious fouls .................. but .................... we only talk about the refs, not the £100,000+ per week professional sportsmen.
If it was that simple we'd all do it!

Slime.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Because, as we all know, refereeing a game played by uber-fast, uber-fit professional cheats and no replays is really very, very easy.
Strikers miss sitters, goalkeepers miss easy saves, defenders miss easy tackles/interceptions and referees miss obvious fouls .................. but .................... we only talk about the refs, not the £100,000+ per week professional sportsmen.
If it was that simple we'd all do it!

Slime.
Very good point mate.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
How did Eto'o not even get even a yellow card for his tackle on Henderson. Seems that if you commit such a foul at the beginning of a match it is ok.:mad: Should have been a straight red, and Henderson was lucky not to be seriously injured.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did Eto'o not even get even a yellow card for his tackle on Henderson. Seems that if you commit such a foul at the beginning of a match it is ok.:mad: Should have been a straight red, and Henderson was lucky not to be seriously injured.

I knew it should have been a red card as soon as I saw it ................................... on the slow motion replay :whistle:.

Slime.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I knew it should have been a red card as soon as I saw it ................................... on the slow motion replay :whistle:.

Slime.

Quite possibly the best point made. In real-time, it is just a foul. In slow motion, it's slightly more. TV pundits harp on saying the ref has made a mistake, but in real time, it has happened so quickly! TV pundits also have the benefit of 5 different angles of every incident...so they can really show everything at its worst!

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In real time it was obvious that Eto'o went in with his foot at knee height and caught Henderson on the knee. Webb had an excellent view. Not a difficult decision. The standard of officiating in football is so poor compared to other sports.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
In real time it was obvious that Eto'o went in with his foot at knee height and caught Henderson on the knee. Webb had an excellent view. Not a difficult decision. The standard of officiating in football is so poor compared to other sports.

Maybe ......................... or maybe it's that the standard of cheating in football is so high compared to other sports!

Slime.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite possibly the best point made. In real-time, it is just a foul. In slow motion, it's slightly more. TV pundits harp on saying the ref has made a mistake, but in real time, it has happened so quickly! TV pundits also have the benefit of 5 different angles of every incident...so they can really show everything at its worst!

.............. and whilst watching said replays they are not impeded by people running accross their line of sight either.

Slime.