Recommend me a course on the way to Scotland

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So in just under 2 weeks myself and 3 friends embark on our annual pilgrimage to Scotland for 6 days of golf (sunday to Friday).

We are staying in Boat and will be playing Ballater, Moray, Dornoch, Spey Valley and Boat of Garten, but we need another course to play on the way up. Last year we stopped and played the Queens course, Gleneagles for £50 each, but there are no deals to be had this year as a green fee is about £85 so we want to try somewhere else.

We usually leave around 03:30 am and we drive so are looking for something Ideally within 30 - 45 minutes of the M6 -> A74(M) -> A9 and can be at no later than midday. We start near Bracknell so had considered an early tee time at the Belfry, but the preference is really to get the majority of the drive out the way and leave only a few hours into Boat.

Any ideas for some hidden gems?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
So in just under 2 weeks myself and 3 friends embark on our annual pilgrimage to Scotland for 6 days of golf (sunday to Friday).

We are staying in Boat and will be playing Ballater, Moray, Dornoch, Spey Valley and Boat of Garten, but we need another course to play on the way up. Last year we stopped and played the Queens course, Gleneagles for £50 each, but there are no deals to be had this year as a green fee is about £85 so we want to try somewhere else.

We usually leave around 03:30 am and we drive so are looking for something Ideally within 30 - 45 minutes of the M6 -> A74(M) -> A9 and can be at no later than midday. We start near Bracknell so had considered an early tee time at the Belfry, but the preference is really to get the majority of the drive out the way and leave only a few hours into Boat.

Any ideas for some hidden gems?

Silloth if you want to stop somewhere in the North of england? You could get to Monifieth/Carnoustie/Downfield/Alyth/Forfar within about 45 mins of Perth A9 turn off.

Playing Boat of Garten and Dornoch, you lucky so and so - two of my favourite courses.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Silloth (west Cumbria), Lancaster (just off the m6), Brampton (Cumbria) just 20 mins off the M6. Southerness is highly recommended, but I haven't played it myself.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Lanark GC would be a good shout.
Glenbervie played host to major Amateur events.
Pitlochry goodish course with astonishing scenery
Blairgowrie.

Just Soooooooooo many.

Couple of great shouts there Glenbervie is a smashing track, and the Rosemount at Blairgowrie went straight into my top five courses ever when I played it this year - gorgeous course.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Another vote for Glenbervie! Dooms right there are soooo many.

Aren't Gleneagles doing their twighlight golf which was £200 for a 4 ball I believe.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Silloth if you want to stop somewhere in the North of england? You could get to Monifieth/Carnoustie/Downfield/Alyth/Forfar within about 45 mins of Perth A9 turn off.

Playing Boat of Garten and Dornoch, you lucky so and so - two of my favourite courses.

Yeah, we played Boat last year. Loved it.

Muckhart is just over the hill south of Gleneagles and was described as a "hidden gem nestled in the foothills of the Ochils" by Peter Aliss...

Thanks, will check it out.

Silloth (west Cumbria), Lancaster (just off the m6), Brampton (Cumbria) just 20 mins off the M6. Southerness is highly recommended, but I haven't played it myself.

Southerness is a little far, but will check out the others.

Lanark GC would be a good shout.
Glenbervie played host to major Amateur events.
Pitlochry goodish course with astonishing scenery
Blairgowrie.

Just Soooooooooo many.

Thanks. Played Blair last year. Unfortunately they do not allow visitors at weekends otherwise we would have been back like a shot.

D

Deleted member 17920

Silloth great course and a nice green fee.

Playing Boat of Garten and Dornoch , you lucky so and so agreed!.

S

Snelly

Rather than the Belfry, consider Little Aston, Beau Desert or the Portal Championship course at Tarporley.

That said, if I was you I would divert through to one of the Southport courses. Birkdale, Royal Liverpool and Lytham are all a bit pricey. Go for Hillside, Formby or Southport and Ainsdale (in that order) and you won't regret it. Hillside is just magnificent.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you considered going up the east side of the country and stopping at Ganton? Now that is a seriously good course and drains really well so no weather issues.

It's top 3 inland courses in the UK :thup:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems we were wrong about visitors on a Sunday for Blair and there is a tee time available just before 1 so it looks like we are going to opt for that. It's on the Lansdowne as we played Rosemount last year.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Actually caused more problems than solutions as we didn't know where to go with all the choice!!