Recommend a Driver / Fairway woods (not a survey! ;) )

GUB

Visit site
I am looking for some advice ref; driver and fairway woods, and possibly a hybrid club. Having vowed to get back into the game after some 6 years in the wilderness I recently bought a set of Srixon 1-601s which I am awaiting delivery of (pending some fitting adjustments). What I need now is the big sticks!

My fitting session for the irons told me that I had a clubhead speed of 80mph and a tendency to push the ball a little (i.e. it went to the right more than it did the left!), nothing much though, and I cannot recall a consistent push/slice when I used to play.

Anyway all that said, I am looking for a decent driver, budget around £150. Something that instills a bit of confidence would be nice, I never really had the cohonas to use the big stick that often off the tee and it would be nice to change that.

Also after a 3 wood. Something that will be useable off the tee AND off the floor (hitting woods off the fairway was never the strongest part of my game). I understand the MacGregor Mactec is a good bet here, but I am open to suggestions from those with more experience.

Finally I have wondered whether it’s worth me carrying a 5w or if I should go for a rescue type club for shots off the fairway. As with the 3w I never quite mastered the fairway shot with this wood, tending to bounce the sole at the point of impact so I am wondering whether this will bridge the gap and give me some confidence so I can eventually use a 5w.

Appreciate that I have covered a lot of ground here, I have had a quick trawl through the old threads, so have some ideas already, but would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
This is what I am currently using,

King Cobra 454 Comp Driver 9.5reg because my F-speed died and I had to give my pro his srixon back.

3W - King Cobra Speed LD
5W - King Cobra Speed LD

King Cobra baffler in place of 3 iron.

With regards to the fairway woods these cobras are awesome. I can hit them off the floor with total ease. Some don't like the noise they make. I always use a 5 wood, I find that on a lot of occasions I will hit D off the tee followed by a 5 so thats why I carry it.

The rescue club will be an absolute gem to hit off of the fairway but obviously will not be as long for the occasions when you WILL need to hit a fairway off the deck.

For your driver I would get your swing speed with your driver measured then opt for a Cobra F/M Speed LD whichever suits. I think Madandra will agree here!

I would buy the Cobra fairways to compliment the driver. I am just so comfortable and confident with them that I would endorse them to anybody.

If you buy a hybrid (they are so overpriced compared to what they substitute though) go for the Baffler, I am not kidding when I say that it is the finest club of its type available today.

Some say my love of Cobra is unhealthy, I can assure you a) that I just love their products, there is no hidden agenda, and b) I don't make love to cardboard cut-outs of Ian Poulter despite such slanderous accustaions put to me at the range! I may be biased towards their gear (except putters) but with justification.

Don't just take my word for it though, there are many members of this forum who will give you very good advice!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It has been said here a million times, go and get custome fitting for your big sticks as well. It shouldn't be about trying to have nice matching sets but what is best for your swing.

Try not to go in with any preconceptions (easier said than done) and try a wide range. For my money a Callaway Big Bertha 11 degree is my preference for the big dog. I have a Ping G5 3 wood and switch between my Callaway steelhead + 5 wood and a cobra DWS baffler hybrid.

Just make sure you try before you buy.

Happy golfing
Homer

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a similar swing speed (a little higher) and work hard on the same path. (in to out)

I use a Callaway FT-3 draw, and it works well, but the new versions are expensive. A draw bias would be good, but NOT offset, in my opinion.

I love my Taylor Made 3 wood, but it's not really and off-the-deck sort of club.

I still use a 5 wood as well as a 3I hybrid. There is no question with these two covering the same distance (for my swing) the 3H is good for 185-ish and the 5 wood for over 200.

If you want to get a few, try and match up the shafts, maybe by buying all of one make, such as MD or Benross. I have an MD rescue and it's great (outstanding, actually) but I have to tweak my grip a little strong as it doesn't square through impact like the Taylor Made or Callaway.

Dave

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time for me to put in my usual word for Orka clubs (the obsession seems to be getting on a par with Medwayjon and Cobra). All are fuly fitted and prices are very competitive. The clubmaker has also given me some advice on the contents of my bag so could help there. I do not carry a 3 wood but carry a 5 wood and a 4 iron hybrid.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just ditched my big headed Cobra because it won't conform to the rules soon, but it was a beautiful driver and performed exceedingly well. I tried it on the range before I bought it and it wasn't until I got it home that I realized that it was 9 degees with a stiff shaft. If I had seen that before I bought it I might have been put off. Just shows you that its the performance that counts, although I will say that one makers stiff shaft is another maker regular.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Was a bit surprised yesterday when I played on a society day, that the pro had a second hand non conforming cobra for sale in his shop. What, someones going to buy a driver to use for a month?

SoggyMoggy

Visit site
"They will be permitted on bounce games & non-competitive golf"

I'm new on here but I don't think this is in the spirit of the game. They will be against the rules no matter what form of golf you are playing. Do you ignore every other rule when playing with friends ? If so, why bother playing golf ?

We've all had 4 years to make sure that one particular club in the bag conforms with the rules - if it doesn't, take it out of the bag !

SoggyMoggy

Visit site
Believe it or not we actually attempt to get it back in play with a golf club !

If that means we add a shot or 2 (or more) to our score then so be it. After all, that is the point of the game.

If you were playing darts you wouldn't stand 2 foot from the board, or if you were playing tennis you wouldn't stand right by the net to serve etc etc

So why cheat in golf ?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if i could get away with it in tennis and darts i would :D

not so much in golf though

i have turned a blind eye to the odd thing tho - i.e. putter barely touches the ball when lining a put up

SoggyMoggy

Visit site
Turning a blind eye is a slightly different discussion but what I'm trying to say is that using a non-conforming club should not be seen as 'less cheating' than any other rule in the book.

How can we have different levels of cheating ? No-one can claim they are not aware of the rules, it can't be seen as an accidental breach. Whether we like the rule or not let's abide by it (as per stupid spike mark rule).

I've bought myself a new driver to avoid breaking the rule - I would hope that whoever I play with/against on the 1st Saturday in January will have done the same if he has a non-conforming driver at the moment.

And if he hasn't watch out for the fireworks ;)

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i agree

i never play just for fun - there's always a pint at stake. Id hate to be buying it (worse than losing LOADS of money by the way) because my mate had a dodgy driver

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would ditch a non-conforming driver and don't expect to see any next year, friendly or match.
I do think it's a bit dodgy though the amount of pros/ranges etc. selling these clubs. If you were new to the game, you might get one thinking it's a bargain only to join a club and discover you can't use it under certain circumstances.
If I was taking in PXs I wouldn't take anything illegal, and with any remaining stock would sticker and price it up accordingly. Then again, I don't have a living to make???

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
there isn't that much of a discount on the dodgy clubs either!

I've just got a talyormade r7 11.5 draw bias (weighted) driver and 5-wood. don't have a 3-wood at the moment but tried out the ping g-10 recently (we had a demo day at the range) and reckon the shallow head would be a demon off the grass. (no club loyalty - I go with what feels and performs best)