Recievers in at ChavWorths

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ChavWorths otherwise known as WoolWorths have got the revievers in, & good riddance I say.

Fom many years these outlets have gone steadily downhill, the quality & range of products reducing, the way they displayed & presented their stock went downhill. No-longer were they the place where you'd brows for the latest music & films on CD & DVD, or Vynl & VHS as it once was many years ago. Gone are the days when the pick-n-mix on a Saturdays was worthwhile. Gone are the days when they were the place to find a decent diary, or the christmas decorations, or wrapping paper.

Over recent years they seem to have been inhabited by teens in their chav outfits mowing down OAP's & unsuspecting browsers with their pushchairs of multiple sprogs, trailing along a collection of hoodies like gormless spotty moths. A visit into Woolworths at 5-30 in the afternoon when WHSmiths has been shut for the last ten minutes is a disapointing venture. Each time hoping the shop would be what it was 20 or more years ago, giving the choice & real value it did all those years ago.

Instead now being held up by a gaggle of spotty youths trying to look like untidy monks, preventing you from seeing if the latest Bond film is cheaper or not than HMV, whilst wheeled banshees barge through all unsundry, leaving a trail of zimmer frames in their wake sprawled in the isle

No, I say Good riddance to chavWorths...

Best stay away from Asda & Iceland people than you normally would, as they'll be the only shops the chavs with their brats & untidy moron-monks will have for them & be mowing down the unsuspecting populace

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
and todays award for most sympathetic, caring individual goes to......................

What about the projected 30,000 jobs that are about to be lost. I suppose they deserve it do they!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not a good time to be made redundant, xmas, beginning of a recession, etc. MFi will be going soon too, and I suspect that after the Jan sales, most of the retail sector will have a clear out of staff, as next year is going to be difficult.
A lot of what shops sell is made in China, and the dollar exchange rate has really messed with prices, making stuff way more exoensive, but the shops can't really increase the prices to match, or no one will buy anything. Knocking 2% off the vat is a drop in the ocean.

Tough times ahead.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
this may just be the beginning as xmas is always the time to announce redundancies, thereby overcoming the notice periods before the next financial year.

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
My sympathies go out to everyone who will be personally affected by an economic situation not of their making, especially at this time of year.

Cernunnos - I'm guessing you don't have kids?

Woolies is an excellent shop for parents of young children.
It's one of the few shops left on the high street with a decent selection of toys for my apparently chavvy brats.
The only other alternative toy shops tend to be either out of town superstores or the Argos "shiny book of dreams".
Also their kids clothes have always been excellent value.

Maybe if they had concentrated on what they are good at and dropped all the other stock that was either too expensive ((CD's computer games etc)or no one really wants and rebranded as a kid's store then they could have been still going strong.

Now, where did I leave my hoodie......?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sad news, I like woolies they are like an aunt you never visit buy like to know they are OK. Ain't been in one for ages.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hands up all those who have ate a sweet from the Pic'n'mix with out paying?

I have!

We all contributed to fall of Wooleworths :D

Bit of info for you all too, the first ever woolworths was opened in Liverpool in 1909. Sad times!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My wife loses her job at the end of December and is finding it hard to even get an interview let alone find a role. Still in Cernunnos world she probably deserved it working for GM in a mortgage company especially with the US sub-letting problems being blamed on the current economic crisis

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
ChavWorths otherwise known as WoolWorths have got the revievers in, & good riddance I say.

Fom many years these outlets have gone steadily downhill, the quality & range of products reducing, the way they displayed & presented their stock went downhill. No-longer were they the place where you'd brows for the latest music & films on CD & DVD, or Vynl & VHS as it once was many years ago. Gone are the days when the pick-n-mix on a Saturdays was worthwhile. Gone are the days when they were the place to find a decent diary, or the christmas decorations, or wrapping paper.

Over recent years they seem to have been inhabited by teens in their chav outfits mowing down OAP's & unsuspecting browsers with their pushchairs of multiple sprogs, trailing along a collection of hoodies like gormless spotty moths. A visit into Woolworths at 5-30 in the afternoon when WHSmiths has been shut for the last ten minutes is a disapointing venture. Each time hoping the shop would be what it was 20 or more years ago, giving the choice & real value it did all those years ago.

Instead now being held up by a gaggle of spotty youths trying to look like untidy monks, preventing you from seeing if the latest Bond film is cheaper or not than HMV, whilst wheeled banshees barge through all unsundry, leaving a trail of zimmer frames in their wake sprawled in the isle

Best stay away from Asda & Iceland people than you normally would, as they'll be the only shops the chavs with their brats & untidy moron-monks will have for them & be mowing down the unsuspecting populace

Words fail me.....................

:mad: :mad: :D :D :D :D

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Yes I was just thinking the same as a woman at work was explaining that her husband (a store manager at woolies) was losing his 15 years worth of pension oh and his job and the lovely Christmas they were facing.

Oh and I shop in Asda but neither own a Burberry or a Tracksuit but obviously the badges we stick on stuff sooooooooo defines us :rolleyes:

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woolworths, regardless of the condemnation have kept thousands of people employed for years, in effect being a major contributor to the economy. £30,000 or more will be redundant, they will be a tax burden unless they find employment, they will likely affect the housing market and they will certainly affect the local communities economy. It was a disaster in the current climate for this to happen. Now is the time where this country needs to find employment, help the banks to loan again, levy or reduce mortgages and continue to do this till we get out of the current stew we are all in. Unfortunately Labour seem bent on doing the oposite.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Woolworths, regardless of the condemnation have kept thousands of people employed for years, in effect being a major contributor to the economy. £30,000 or more will be redundant, they will be a tax burden unless they find employment, they will likely affect the housing market and they will certainly affect the local communities economy. It was a disaster in the current climate for this to happen. Now is the time where this country needs to find employment, help the banks to loan again, levy or reduce mortgages and continue to do this till we get out of the current stew we are all in. Unfortunately Labour seem bent on doing the oposite.

what do you expect - it's the party of the lowest common denominator, it's been perpetuating class divisions that for the most part haven't existed for years.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
We called it Pick 'n' Nicks in Motherwell Woolies. I remember walking round with my mum (I was about 11) and had got all my faves in my bag and as I followed her round I just picked away at them to the point that I had almost finished them and I was sick of them so I said 'Mum, sweets are bad for your teeth so I am just going to leave them' ....

She was so proud of my health awareness she got me a matchbox car instead. RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!