Realistic target for handicap drop

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am busy looking at targets for this year, and not sure what would be a realistic drop.

Last season I got cut from 18.9 to 14.8, a combination of a cut for winning the winter fourball and a good medal round taking me back down to 14.8.

My initial goal would to not be the highest handicapper in our Saturday sweep. There are currently 28 guys play and two of us are off 15, so just one off gets me that one ;), only worked it out this morning but only 7 guys are in double figures the rest are +1 to 9 with the average being 7.4 for all of us !!:eek:

I am fortunate that I do have ab bit of time to practice and am having lessons fairly regularly, so what could be possible ?

I was thinking of aiming for 12.4 but is that too much ? Has anyone of a similar handicap made a goal and what do you think is possible ?? or anyone else got experience of same

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
14.9 to 12.4 isn't too much at all I'd say. One really good round in a comp and youll manage that.

I'd say that single figures would be a fair challenge. Especially as you have time to practice.

To blow my own trumpet a little, I dropped from 21 to 7 in 6 months during 2017.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am busy looking at targets for this year, and not sure what would be a realistic drop.

Last season I got cut from 18.9 to 14.8, a combination of a cut for winning the winter fourball and a good medal round taking me back down to 14.8.

My initial goal would to not be the highest handicapper in our Saturday sweep. There are currently 28 guys play and two of us are off 15, so just one off gets me that one ;), only worked it out this morning but only 7 guys are in double figures the rest are +1 to 9 with the average being 7.4 for all of us !!:eek:

I am fortunate that I do have ab bit of time to practice and am having lessons fairly regularly, so what could be possible ?

I was thinking of aiming for 12.4 but is that too much ? Has anyone of a similar handicap made a goal and what do you think is possible ?? or anyone else got experience of same

That is a great position to be in with time to practice and the motivation to improve.

What I would say is don't set yourself outcome targets, set yourself process targets.

i.e. Becoming a 12 handicapper is an outcome target.

The process is I am going to follow;
* take a 1 hour lesson every other week and do 3 or 4 practice sessions each week
* 45 to 60 minutes on putting
* 45 to 60 minutes on chipping and short pitches
* 45 to 60 minutes on full wedges / short irons
* 100 balls at the range - woods and long irons

So that might be 3 hours of practice each week. It is probably a lot and far more than most handicap golfers do.

Follow the process, measure the success of your practice and the outcome will take care of itself.

I remember taking up the game and being fed up as a 20-something handicapper. One winter I put in the effort. Took 8 hours worth of lessons over 16 weeks, went to the range twice a week and improved my ball striking. Next season I was a 17 handicapper, but I felt at that point 'great, I've achieved my objective'. Stopped practicing, got fed up not being able to play to 17 / 18, and probably played even worse.

I had a few years off and my handicap (and game) lapsed. I don't want to be a 24 handicapper again, so I have had lessons again and have been going to the range & playing a practice round most weeks. I don't have as much time for golf and have to be realistic about my goals, but in 2019 (when the clocks change), 2 practice sessions a week;

* 45 to 60 minutes on chipping and putting
* 45 to 60 minutes on shots of 50 to 150 yards

Keep things simple with the long game and don't take too many risks and try and make my score with my 9 iron to putter.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was in a similar predicament as yourself, my handicap goal last year was 14. I started at 17.4 and throughout the whole season only had two 0.1s.

I went from 16 Handicap to 14.6 which got me close to target and then the next medal I totally skipped 14, ended up off of 13. :ROFLMAO: Delighted to smash my target, I just kept plugging away and practicing and after that I came quickly down to 11 Handicap where I leveled out and ended up with another 1 shot cut in the year end review and finished the year as a 10 Handicap. 4 Shots better than my target.

My point is, don't worry about setting a too high or too low a target, just get out there, practice and play as much as possible and the handicap will be sure to come down at a canter. (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Grant's post above is great but I'd also say it depends on where you are in your golfing life.

I'd also say that i'f you're still relatively new to the game and your handicap hasn't peaked then with the right focus and time to put the work in you could make single figures.
But if you've been around 14 to 18 for a while and have been taking lessons and practicing in the past then it might not be so easy.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What costs you the most shots? Add that as a major part of your practice regime. Keep your stats and review after a few months. This, if your previous focused practice has worked, will give you a new area to target. And repeat...

As to what number you should target? None. If you set yourself a target like that you will potentially tense up as you get close. The elimination of areas of concern will lead to the drop, and that drop will be based on how destructive the fault previously was.

What’s achievable? Mate of mine went from 18 to 9 in one season, and down to 5 the following season, where he’s pretty much stayed for the last 20 years.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is a great position to be in with time to practice and the motivation to improve.

What I would say is don't set yourself outcome targets, set yourself process targets.

i.e. Becoming a 12 handicapper is an outcome target.

The process is I am going to follow;
* take a 1 hour lesson every other week and do 3 or 4 practice sessions each week
* 45 to 60 minutes on putting
* 45 to 60 minutes on chipping and short pitches
* 45 to 60 minutes on full wedges / short irons
* 100 balls at the range - woods and long irons

So that might be 3 hours of practice each week. It is probably a lot and far more than most handicap golfers do.

Follow the process, measure the success of your practice and the outcome will take care of itself.

I remember taking up the game and being fed up as a 20-something handicapper. One winter I put in the effort. Took 8 hours worth of lessons over 16 weeks, went to the range twice a week and improved my ball striking. Next season I was a 17 handicapper, but I felt at that point 'great, I've achieved my objective'. Stopped practicing, got fed up not being able to play to 17 / 18, and probably played even worse.

I had a few years off and my handicap (and game) lapsed. I don't want to be a 24 handicapper again, so I have had lessons again and have been going to the range & playing a practice round most weeks. I don't have as much time for golf and have to be realistic about my goals, but in 2019 (when the clocks change), 2 practice sessions a week;

* 45 to 60 minutes on chipping and putting
* 45 to 60 minutes on shots of 50 to 150 yards

Keep things simple with the long game and don't take too many risks and try and make my score with my 9 iron to putter.

Good reply Grant, thanks.

I suppose having a number you want to get to gives you some satisfaction when you get to it, but see what you are saying.

In terms of process goals I have actually done this as well, more subconsciously though.

They are to continue to have a lesson probably every month and aim for two practice sessions a week.
I am self employed working from home, so can trade a little time during daylight time, just now, for working at night to allow me to practice from the grass as opposed to driving range at night. I also stay less than 5 minutes from Gailes, so easy enough to watch the weather, check the diary and have some grass practice during the week. In terms of what to do when practising I have shown a copy of my schedule for last Thursday. This was taken from " the practice schedule used by college golfers" it is a You tube video by Robb McGarr, very helpful. Also gives you something to compare your progress over the months.It took longer than anticipated but was good to go through as it was more structured. I have a habit of hitting too many of the same shots on the range, normally stopping when I run out of balls or it gets dark.

Apologies have 2 photos can't remove any !!

Best of luck with your quest GrantView attachment 26370

Last edited by a moderator:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
14.9 to 12.4 isn't too much at all I'd say. One really good round in a comp and youll manage that.

I'd say that single figures would be a fair challenge. Especially as you have time to practice.

To blow my own trumpet a little, I dropped from 21 to 7 in 6 months during 2017.

Do you mind asking what age you were at that point and how often you played ?

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in a similar predicament as yourself, my handicap goal last year was 14. I started at 17.4 and throughout the whole season only had two 0.1s.

I went from 16 Handicap to 14.6 which got me close to target and then the next medal I totally skipped 14, ended up off of 13. :ROFLMAO: Delighted to smash my target, I just kept plugging away and practicing and after that I came quickly down to 11 Handicap where I leveled out and ended up with another 1 shot cut in the year end review and finished the year as a 10 Handicap. 4 Shots better than my target.

My point is, don't worry about setting a too high or too low a target, just get out there, practice and play as much as possible and the handicap will be sure to come down at a canter. (y)

That was great reduction, well done (y) I suppose just keep practising and playing, minimising the risk with shots and trying to decrease the dispersion of shots.

no reason you can't get to 10 or less.
Cheers Patrick, have had some good bits to rounds recently. Shot 1 over for last 6 and the following round 3 over for first 9, just need to extend that for more holes. Ultimate goal would be single figures and able to play to it

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grant's post above is great but I'd also say it depends on where you are in your golfing life.

I'd also say that i'f you're still relatively new to the game and your handicap hasn't peaked then with the right focus and time to put the work in you could make single figures.
But if you've been around 14 to 18 for a while and have been taking lessons and practicing in the past then it might not be so easy.
I am now 53, and have been playing since late teens :rolleyes: the lessons seem to have narrowed down to one fault and I understand where my bad shots come from now

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What costs you the most shots? Add that as a major part of your practice regime. Keep your stats and review after a few months. This, if your previous focused practice has worked, will give you a new area to target. And repeat...

As to what number you should target? None. If you set yourself a target like that you will potentially tense up as you get close. The elimination of areas of concern will lead to the drop, and that drop will be based on how destructive the fault previously was.

What’s achievable? Mate of mine went from 18 to 9 in one season, and down to 5 the following season, where he’s pretty much stayed for the last 20 years.

My short game has always been lacking, often able to get close to the green in the correct numbers but too many to hole out in. My full swing getting better through better body rotation is also helping my short game, so some days they look like real pitches ;). Looking forward to the challenge this year and will try not to focus too much on the numbers

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Good reply Grant, thanks.

I suppose having a number you want to get to gives you some satisfaction when you get to it, but see what you are saying.

In terms of process goals I have actually done this as well, more subconsciously though.

They are to continue to have a lesson probably every month and aim for two practice sessions a week.
I am self employed working from home, so can trade a little time during daylight time, just now, for working at night to allow me to practice from the grass as opposed to driving range at night. I also stay less than 5 minutes from Gailes, so easy enough to watch the weather, check the diary and have some grass practice during the week. In terms of what to do when practising I have shown a copy of my schedule for last Thursday. This was taken from " the practice schedule used by college golfers" it is a You tube video by Robb McGarr, very helpful. Also gives you something to compare your progress over the months.It took longer than anticipated but was good to go through as it was more structured. I have a habit of hitting too many of the same shots on the range, normally stopping when I run out of balls or it gets dark.

Apologies have 2 photos can't remove any !!

Best of luck with your quest GrantView attachment 26370View attachment 26370

Yes - I've also seen the Rob McGarr video and the two things I took from it were:
* measuring the success of your practice sessions, so you can compare the following week.
* how many of the routines are short game focused.

Also have seen Denis Pugh and Francesco Molinari speaking. Molinari had his best ever year last season, but they were talking about following their process and getting better at certain disciplines.

They would measure 2019 as just as successful, or more successful, based on their process. Even if that didn't translate to 2 tour wins and a major win and 7 or 8 other top 10s.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My biggest cut in the shortest time was 14 to 8 in 6 months. Followed by a cut to 6 in the next 6 months.

I did not set any targets it just happened when I was able to plan the days I played a lot better so a lot of the stuff on my mind when I started a round was no longer there.

My practice regime was no different before and after, it was only the mental attitude that changed.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you mind asking what age you were at that point and how often you played ?

I would have been 24, and probably managed to practice around 4 times a week - which I understand isn't possible for alot of folk.
But I did practice - very little time was spent on the course. I was chipping and putting most chances I had.

Visit site

This for me
I don't need a spreadsheet to know that the things that cost me numbers are
1. hacking off the tee into gorse either topped short (40 yards away into heilan gorse) or in lost ball territory over the hill and far away)
2. Distance control on longer putts = too many 3 putts

Fix these and I'd save about 15 shots a round easy

In summary -- I could get a respectable handicap - If I could drive and putt :confused:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would ask a couple of the better golfers in your group who have played with you for the answer to your question. They will have all the necessary information.

Alternatively ask your pro for a quick assessment of what he thinks he could get you down to, and how much it will cost - again he will have the skill set to advise accurately.

Based purely on what you have written, and my own experience of having time at your age after that same period of playing, was that I quickly got down to 8 (from 13) when I stopped letting work get in the way of playing golf 😎 From your description of your tee to green abilities I can't see any reason why you should play off single figures at all.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I went from 14 - 12 in a season without playing too much golf. The key things that did it for me were as follows:

Keeping tee shots in play - no 3 off the tee.
Short game, practice every shot possible and spend loads of time doing it. Put yourself in difficult situations when practicing
Putting - pre shot routing is important for confidence.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the downside would be that we don't have ESR like England to can't reply on that extra shot after a few good rounds, though it might get easier once we go to the new handicap system