Realistic target for handicap drop

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure that would help. The scores would have to be exceptional. 2 scores with a net differential of -4 or better in four returns.
He has only had two good scores and one of those questionable
"18.9 to 14.8, a combination of a cut for winning the winter fourball and a good medal round taking me back down to 14.8. "
The ESR question wasn’t in connection with my handicap, more of a general one. Winning the winter football which meant winning three league style matches then 4 knockout games meant a review by the handicap committee as they do with all trophy winners. Got cut from 18.9 to 15 😳 then back to 16 and on final medal back to 14.8

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The battle seems to be playing to my ability when it is a card round.

I play maybe 8 to 10 rounds a month, but only 1 or 2 will be when a competition is on with the round counting for handicap.

Last year was 15 to 12

Would love to get to single figures this year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The battle seems to be playing to my ability when it is a card round.

I play maybe 8 to 10 rounds a month, but only 1 or 2 will be when a competition is on with the round counting for handicap.

Last year was 15 to 12

Would love to get to single figures this year
It's a mental thing. If you can do it in non-qualifying rounds you can do it with card and pencil in hand. You just have to learn how to make a score under pressure. If you are off 15 you can play to a decent standard and so 12 or lower is achievable. What are your issues with a card in your hand?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a mental thing. If you can do it in non-qualifying rounds you can do it with card and pencil in hand. You just have to learn how to make a score under pressure. If you are off 15 you can play to a decent standard and so 12 or lower is achievable. What are your issues with a card in your hand?

Not an issue with the card as have had plenty of good rounds with them.

More the issue that is it only once or twice a month get the chance to get handicap down.

I play better than my handicap say 1 in 2 rounds. You need to shoot 3 or 4 better than handicap to get a 0.2 cut.

Is just high variance. Need my good rounds to happen when the comp is on, sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

More the issue that is it only once or twice a month get the chance to get handicap down.

I play better than my handicap say 1 in 2 rounds. You need to shoot 3 or 4 better than handicap to get a 0.2 cut.

Is just high variance. Need my good rounds to happen when the comp is on, sometimes they do sometimes they don't.
What is par and the normal CSS? That's a tough school to shoot that far under to get any sort of cut

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a similar issue in that there is a Saturday and a Wednesday medal at Gailes each month but not may other counting competitions. Not like Bogside, where I used to play they have at least two medals a week. The only positive is we can use any tees at any time, so our sweeps are always played off the medal tees. May need to look to supplementary cards and open comps to help with handicap rounds

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spoke to my coach today and he suggested having a good few weeks of short game work, see how that goes and maybe set the season target at end of March. He did say that my full game swing will have bad shots now and again but my short game was more destructive to my scoring than long. So a short game lesson being lined up.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Spoke to my coach today and he suggested having a good few weeks of short game work, see how that goes and maybe set the season target at end of March. He did say that my full game swing will have bad shots now and again but my short game was more destructive to my scoring than long. So a short game lesson being lined up.

Miss the centre of a fairway by 20yds and you'll, probably, still be on the fairway. Miss the centre of a green by the same margin and you're looking to get up and down, potentially out of a bunker, to save par.