Ready to quit the game

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I seriously think I am ready to stop playing. I am getting no enjoyment from the game due to my constant shanking. I get them so regularly and it seems I have them more than I don't.
The rest of the time I am playing off a handicap of 8 and keep getting told I will come down further.

It's not the odd bout of them, it's been on and off for 5 years and for at least 3 months at a time when they're in. It's at a stage now where I just can't take anymore as they dominate me when I'm stood over the ball.

Unless you've gone through it I don't think you can understand how annoying it is. I'm absolutely gutted and surprised that golf can make you feel like this.

I've had lessons that seem to give it a temporary fix and I do actually put a lot of time into my practice and am a model student. I just now don't think I'm good enough not to hit them regularly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rest of your game must be tremendous :D, 8 blimey. Walk away, have a break. Leave the clubs alone until the sun comes out again and the flowers are out.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Off 8 with the shanks... Sorry to be rough on you but... My heart bleeds.

You can be as harsh as you like. You’ve clearly never had them though.
When I don’t have them I’m good – when I do I literally cannot enter the course. This lasts for months so what is the point?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
The rest of your game must be tremendous :D, 8 blimey. Walk away, have a break. Leave the clubs alone until the sun comes out again and the flowers are out.

I’ve tried a break from the game several times. 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, nothing works.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
What did you learn in your lessons?

Several causes:

· Too much out to in path
· Closed club face throughout
· Hands coming too far in front
· Not turning through the swing and sometimes not turning at all and just freezing at the top of the swing causing casting

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I seem to get relatively fixed in the pro's presence and go away to work on it for a few weeks, but the first range session after on my own tends to be disastrous.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We play sport for enjoyment. When the fun stops, take up another sport. I was obsessive about cricket for years, developed a techincal fault with my batting which messed me up. At the end of a cold and miserable season I decided enough was enough. I packed in and never played club cricket again. Maybe you need to do the same with golf. Take up tennis, badminton, something else.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for your game but maybe your love affair with golf is over. Pack it in, remove the weight from your shoulders.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
LT - that is my thought and I'm gutted about it as I desperately don't want to. I love the game and am still pretty new to it.
However, I've lost count of the time I've been determined to resolve this but this latest episode is killing me and I think I'm out of puff.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Several causes:

· Not turning through the swing and sometimes not turning at all and just freezing at the top of the swing causing casting

Lots of people have those problems but dont shank.
You have to find out what the real problem is.
Then you find a swing thought which stops the shank
And lastly, build that swing thought into your pre shot routine so you won't forget.
Good luck

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Several causes:

When I don’t shank it, it’s a massive hook too.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of people have those problems but dont shank.
You have to find out what the real problem is.
Then you find a swing thought which stops the shank
And lastly, build that swing thought into your pre shot routine so you won't forget.
Good luck

Thanks Bob, but where do I even start to find out what the real problem is?
I’ve tried everything. Lessons have stopped me in the past and my swing thoughts have helped with it at the time but it’s came back.
I’ve listened to and read so many books, psychology and swing wise.
I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles on my causes but nothing. Probably detrimental in the end as I’ve tried so many different things.

Any advice on how I find out the real problem?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob, but where do I even start to find out what the real problem is?
I’ve tried everything. Lessons have stopped me in the past and my swing thoughts have helped with it at the time but it’s came back.
I’ve listened to and read so many books, psychology and swing wise.
I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles on my causes but nothing. Probably detrimental in the end as I’ve tried so many different things.

Any advice on how I find out the real problem?

where you based? if its anywhere near the midlands spend a couple of hours with Bob