RBC Heritage - Playoff Buggy Usage

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why is it that during a playoff, the players are transported to the tee on a buggy, but not to their next shot?
Especially as the weather was about to take a turn for the worse.

Or at other tournaments when often the light is fading fast.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up :confused:

I don't particularly care, because I will never find myself in the same position, but I asked the question as I am curious as to whether there is a reason or rule around the situation.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Especially as the may have to walk 500 yards back to the 18th tee..
Quicker by buggy

Yes, I get that, but my question is why not continue to use the buggy through the hole.
The tee shot may go 300+yds - it would save time and if inclement weather is on the horizon, surely it would make sense to progress as quickly as possible.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I get that, but my question is why not continue to use the buggy through the hole.
The tee shot may go 300+yds - it would save time and if inclement weather is on the horizon, surely it would make sense to progress as quickly as possible.
Didnt think pro's were allowed to do anything but walk when on the course for play?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose it's because walking is considered partner the game. They had a pretty good line on when the storm was coming in and reckoned they had enough time. Playoffs rarely go more than 2 or 3 holes.
It's also, probably, in the Tour rules that buggys can only be used for transport on and off the course for bad weather breaks and playoffs.
Bending that sets a precedent they probably don't want.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buggies are frequently used in playoffs to get them to the required tee quickly.

and as Val says they are often used to get a player back to the tee for a reload.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn’t rain tho was it, well not just rain. A tropical storm with tornado warnings

Well that kind of weather may be ok and possibly fading light. American rain tends to be floods so they may need to get a move on.

Normal wind and rain I would say no. stick it out and play on as you were.

D

Deleted member 15344

The buggy isn’t used “because of the rain”

They mainly always use buggies to ferry the players around when it’s a playoff - instead of getting everyone waiting whilst they walk back up the 18th again or spend 10 minutes to walk from the 18th to the 6th for example - it’s happened in majors and even in the holy Masters - just to help speed up the playoff that’s all

Again that dirty phrase - common sense

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Common sense quite often lacking though.

I was looking for a article on a US junior competition where two players were excluded from the comp for using a buggy to get to a bathroom during play. Couldn't find it but found this ridiculous one from 2001 when Gustafson was deemed to lose a play off hole and therefore the match when her caddy used a buggy to get to a toilet. Would have been fine I think if he had walked and play was just delayed slightly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...-Gustafson-out-after-caddie-seeks-relief.html