Range frustrations - swing opinions

MikeF86

Visit site
All, until I can get enough time for a lesson, some thoughts on the linked video if you wouldn’t mind. Range session pretty much went as video, one straight followed by a push. Another straight? Followed by a push! Poor video but best I could manage. Anything I should I be thinking about?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Strange, as you have a very strong grip.
If you release the clubface properly with that grip, I'd expect to see the ball go left, so what you are doing is holding off the release and keeping the clubface open through impact.
I would suggest you weaken your grip (turn both hands anti-clockwise) and then try and hit it left. You might be surprised

MikeF86

Visit site
Strange, as you have a very strong grip.
If you release the clubface properly with that grip, I'd expect to see the ball go left, so what you are doing is holding off the release and keeping the clubface open through impact.
I would suggest you weaken your grip (turn both hands anti-clockwise) and then try and hit it left. You might be surprised
Appreciate that! Thanks for taking the time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
May just be camera angle, but your feet seem to be aiming 10 or more degrees clockwise of where I'd expect them to. Not much hip turn on the backswing (armsy) and downswing seems rather out to in. Though the latter would likely cause a fade/slice rather than push.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
May just be camera angle, but your feet seem to be aiming 10 or more degrees clockwise of where I'd expect them to. Not much hip turn on the backswing (armsy) and downswing seems rather out to in. Though the latter would likely cause a fade/slice rather than push.

It doesn't matter where the feet point, it's where the shoulders point that's more important.
There's plenty of hip turn at the top of the swing
The downswing is not out to in.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I strongly disagree.
If the swingpath was in to out, the exit point would be above his shoulder. The video clearly shows its a touch below the shoulder

View attachment 40719
An in to out swingpath doesn't have to finish with high hands, it depends how much.
The clubface moving slightly from neutral to open would also explain why he his a mixture of straights and pushes.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
It would be interesting to see you side on. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing recently and had a lesson the other day. My occasional push was because I wasn’t always clearing my left side. Did a drill on moving my left hip back on the downswing and it really sorted me out. He did say it was a move he wouldn’t teach most of the people he coaches though!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
An in to out swingpath doesn't have to finish with high hands, it depends how much.
The clubface moving slightly from neutral to open would also explain why he his a mixture of straights and pushes.

So what advice would you give to the OP, bearing in mind his very strong grip?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

Assuming you're talking club path then you're right SocketRocket. Does anybody want to guess what the club path numbers were on this iron swing (out to in, or in to out)

Screenshot_20220124-124818__01__01.jpgScreenshot_20220124-124844__01__01.jpg

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what advice would you give to the OP, bearing in mind his very strong grip?
He's hitting straight and pushes mixed. He is probably hitting slightly in to out but is inconsistent with the way he releases the club, the pushes may be due to him holding the clubface slightly open but square to path.

It's difficult to be exact without seeing him swing when the shot shape is inconsistent but I think he needs to work on a more consistent release to start with.