Range/Distance Finder Question

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies if this one has come up before but I need clarification for an in-club magazine article.

I know that players cannot use wind/gradient measuring devices in competitions but can use the likes of Sky Caddies etc for distance.

But are these only for the use of the player in question? Or can a player pass on yardage information to other players in the competition if asked or without asking?

Cheers guys.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies if this one has come up before but I need clarification for an in-club magazine article.

I know that players cannot use wind/gradient measuring devices in competitions but can use the likes of Sky Caddies etc for distance.

But are these only for the use of the player in question? Or can a player pass on yardage information to other players in the competition if asked or without asking?

Cheers guys.

Can pass on the information. The information is available to all so can be shared, unlike say what club someone hit

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as Fundy says, the distance information is considered factual information rather than advice and can be both requested, and provided.

a player is not required to provide it, and can choose not to. he can't knowingly provide false information.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As Fundy says. Distance is a question of fact so it's not against the rules to give yardages if asked. Whether you would be happy to do so for someone who hasn't bought his own DMD that's another matter!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing to point out is that distance measuring devices can only be used if the committee has made a local rule to permit their use. There's still no general freedom to use them under the R&A rules.