Stroke and distance

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup I managed to hit a long putt into a bunker located near a pin recently on a wickedly sloping fast green only to find I ended up in PP's footprint (who'd just played out & hadn't raked yet)
Being realistic I didn't fancy my chances of exiting first time with any measure of control with a very possible 3-putt looming, so took stroke and distance option and took the putt again (still needed 2-putts)
Painful penalty but definitely the lesser evil

Sorry for OT post
Similarly - fearsome 3ft downhill putt back to a hole cut at the front of green - rolling off green and down a steep slope if slightly overhit - leaves a very difficult chip or pitch back up. Pitch up too long and I am likely to have a longer putt back down green slope to the hole - if I am too cute with my pitch I leave it short of the hole and chances are high that it's back at my feet and I am faced with the same problem. So I take S&D and put ball back on the green from where I putted it. I now know line and length. Is always an option I consider.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
so after that, I’m still a little confused ..Just need to clear things up.
You can tee the ball up as a result of taking S&D, technically with it just being 3 off the tee. (With no need to search for the 1st ball )

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You can tee the ball up as a result of taking S&D, technically with it just being 3 off the tee. (With no need to search for the 1st ball )
I thought that this had been explained previously?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have just played your tee shot. If for any reason you don't like the outcome, you may simply play another from the teeing area. You don't have to say anything to anyone. You may play the ball from anywhere in the teeing area and may place it on a tee or on the ground. That will be your 3rd stroke.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

... there is no compulsion to search for the ball - just thought it was worth stating specifically even though it can be inferred from the previous answers.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
... there is no compulsion to search for the ball - just thought it was worth stating specifically even though it can be inferred from the previous answers.

Moreover the 1st ball doesn't even have to be out of sight, it could be one yard in front of the tee peg or sitting pretty in the middle of the fairway ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
As the others have said, yes. If you played a provisional, you'd have teed it up and that would have been your 3rd off the tee had to original not been found. So, by that logic, had you not played a provisional but didn't find your original, you'd need to take stroke and distance by going back to the tee and play your 3rd. Would be a bit harsh if you couldn't tee it up, given you would have done had you taken a provisional in the first place.

And, as others have said, any time you play a shot from the teeing area on the hole being played, you can tee it up in any location within that teeing area. The teeing area is not to be confused with the tee box, as the teeing area is defined as being from a line between the 2 tee markers, and up to a distance 2 club lengths behind this. So, even if you top your drive a few inches, and it doesn't get past the tee markers (and remains between them), you can tee the ball up again anywhere in the teeing area and play your second shot (i.e. you don't have to play it as it lies)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As the others have said, yes. If you played a provisional, you'd have teed it up and that would have been your 3rd off the tee had to original not been found. So, by that logic, had you not played a provisional but didn't find your original, you'd need to take stroke and distance by going back to the tee and play your 3rd. Would be a bit harsh if you couldn't tee it up, given you would have done had you taken a provisional in the first place.

And, as others have said, any time you play a shot from the teeing area on the hole being played, you can tee it up in any location within that teeing area. The teeing area is not to be confused with the tee box, as the teeing area is defined as being from a line between the 2 tee markers, and up to a distance 2 club lengths behind this. So, even if you top your drive a few inches, and it doesn't get past the tee markers (and remains between them), you can tee the ball up again anywhere in the teeing area and play your second shot (i.e. you don't have to play it as it lies)

And this is one very good reason for NOT teeing up bang on, or very close to, the front limit of the teeing area. I always tee up a good bit back as this also means I don't run any risk of teeing up in front of the front limit by mistake...

Swango1980

Visit site
And this is one very good reason for NOT teeing up bang on, or very close to, the front limit of the teeing area. I always tee up a good bit back as this also means I don't run any risk of teeing up in front of the front limit by mistake...
Although, I'd probably say a golfer who tees up a little further back, because they can re-tee it if they top it a few inches, doesn't have the most positive mindset to begin with.