Rakes....where do you place it after using it?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've always been a "put it back in the bunker" ever since I hit a shot, which hit the end of the rake and fell into the bunker!

But some seems to think it should be half in, half out. Others have it laying on the ground out of the bunker.

So.....where do you place a rake after you've raked the bunker?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey, we have to suffer an Aimpoint thread every few months, why not a bunker rake one?

I believe the greenkeepers association or whatever they are called, recommend that rakes are kept in the bunker. If it is good enough for them.............

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The requirement where I play is that the bunker should be place where it is least likely to affect a ball that might run to a bunker

Placed in the direction of play with just the very tip of the handle resting on the edge of the bunker.

Laying outside bunker means that it might stop a ball from going in a bunker in the first place.

In the bunker but laying across the direction of play means a high probability of it affecting a rolling ball.

Placed whole in the bunker similar comment and it means going in to the bunker to retrieve it with the extra work of raking the bunker

We have just the handle resting on the edge because it speeds up staff times because they do not have to get off the mowers to remove the rakes plus the time they spend putting it where it should be.
Say an extra 90 seconds per bunker = about one and half extra man hours if every rake was left outside of the bunker.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mostly in (head first) with the last few inches of the handle resting on the lip of the bunker so very little rake is making contact with any part of the ground

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh no not this again... :LOL:

I normally put them so the head of the rake is in the sand, and the handle is leaning against the edge of the bunker, hence the end of it is up in the air. At least then a ball rolling past or towards the bunker won't hit the handle as it would if the rake was lying down on the outside of it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Middle of the bunker. That way, if a ball is stopped by the rake it won't be stuck right up against the lip of the bunker like it would if the rake was on the edge, it'll stop the ball right in the middle.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club's guidelines are that rakes must be placed in the middle of bunkers and pointing towards the flag, or if a fairway bunker towards the green. That does not stop some dropping rakes in the most absurd places in bunkers; partially in - partially out; or just dumped beside the bunker.

That really bugs me - but almost more irritating for me is that many players do not make any effort to move 'offending' rakes to where the club asks they should be - they will happily walk on by. But if it is their ball trapped between a rake and the back edge of a bunker they'd be cursing who had put it there, and all and sundry who had walked by and not moved it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club rule...rakes to be left in the bunkers. No further ruling on where, just in the bunker.
Reasoning being you’re in the hazard already, and it’s a hazard.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its a pet hate of mine TBH. Our club has placed a sticker on the handle of every rake on the course giving the required rake location.. Middle of the Bunker. You would be surprised the amount of times they are left at the back edge trapping the ball at the back of the bunker leaving the next visitor with no alternative but to go out backwards with their shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Middle of bunker our committee wants, nobody takes any notice.

Best I seen was head in bunker handle up against face , it wasn’t in the way of anything .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe we should start laying them flat across the entry of the bunker to stop people's balls rolling in. Help each other out a bit. :D

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That does not stop some dropping rakes in the most absurd places in bunkers; partially in - partially out; or just dumped beside the bunker.

That really bugs me

OK. I'll bite. Why is that one of 'the most absurd places'?

Honestly life is too short to get bugged by such stuff.

How many shots does it cost you a year? One? None?