Quick poll... Hatton’s hoodie: yes or no?

Are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie?

• Yes

Votes: 112 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Couldn’t care less

Votes: 80 32.9%
  • What’s a hoodie?

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I always remember a story someone posted on this forum (I think) a while back. A chap turned up at a course to play after work and was turned away for wearing a simple, smart t-shirt. He went back to his van, put on a polo shirt that was splattered with paint and/or plaster from his day job as a decorator, and that was fine because it had a collar. Where is the sense in that. :LOL:

Not to disparage Payne who was of course a legend of the game, but from these two pictures on outfits alone, which one would you say looks smart and which one ridiculous?

View attachment 32900
View attachment 32901

That is such a snobbish post.
Just because you don't like the look of Payne Stewart's outfit you suggest it's ridiculous?
Snobbery works in all directions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is such a snobbish post.
Just because you don't like the look of Payne Stewart's outfit you suggest it's ridiculous?
Snobbery works in all directions.
I don't dislike it, I think it's great. It actually shows that there can and should be some freedom over what people wear on the course, freedom to express themselves. But with some people, that doesn't extend to a simple smart hooded jumper, which to me doesn't make any sense.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I don't dislike it, I think it's great. It actually shows that there can and should be some freedom over what people wear on the course, freedom to express themselves. But with some people, that doesn't extend to a simple smart hooded jumper, which to me doesn't make any sense.

What doesn't make any sense is putting a hood on a perfectly normal jumper and then not using it. And Hatton's defence of his hoodie is frankly laughable.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...will-be-accepted-not-sneered-at-by-golf-snobs

"I think you need to move on from that. It's comfortable when you play golf in it and it looks good, then I don't see an issue. I actually love them. I mean, they are so nice to swing in. It's not like jumpers from back in the day where there's no movement. They are so stretchy and keep you really warm, so on days like this, it's perfect."

No movement in a lambswool jumper? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Everything else in that last sentence was achieved without the hood, so it wasn't necessary.

sunshine

Visit site
I bought 3 of those in the US the week they were released. They caused quite a stir when I wore them to play the weekend I returned. They weren't available in the UK for quite some time after the US release.

I even sat in a committee meeting at my club wearing one to defend myself for wearing it. My defence was it had a collar and was no different to a turtle neck which were all the rage at the time.

I even pointed out that I looked smart and a few of the friends of the people sitting in that room, whilst strictly confming to the dress code, did indeed look like they had wondered in off a farm of from a garage workshop. I also pointed out that may of the women members at the time were wearing collerles t-shirts.
The committee then decided that they were going to allow that type of t-shirt.

They really did rile a few people at the time. Being young I wore them for every game. A couple of league matches were won before teeing off due to my opponent being so annoyed with what I was wearing. There was even a few clubs that would sell you one, but wouldn't let you wear it on their course.

To this day, now I am firmly in middle age. I can't for the life of me understand why people get so upset by what other people wear to do certain activities.

I've worn my hoodies (Superdry as I'm in my 40s :D ) to play at my local 9 hole course and honestly don't even notice the hood is there, and my swing is awful. If you swing is hampered by a hood flailing around then a hoodie is the least of your problems.

Good post from bi-guy. But if you're going to wear one of those skin tight tops you need to have Tiger's physique to pull it off: #gunshow #abs ;)

Well done for standing up to the committee. I think it's hilarious that people can get so wound up by something so trivial.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What doesn't make any sense is putting a hood on a perfectly normal jumper and then not using it. And Hatton's defence of his hoodie is frankly laughable.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...will-be-accepted-not-sneered-at-by-golf-snobs

"I think you need to move on from that. It's comfortable when you play golf in it and it looks good, then I don't see an issue. I actually love them. I mean, they are so nice to swing in. It's not like jumpers from back in the day where there's no movement. They are so stretchy and keep you really warm, so on days like this, it's perfect."

No movement in a lambswool jumper? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Everything else in that last sentence was achieved without the hood, so it wasn't necessary.
I didn't watch every minute of the coverage so I don't know if it rained, but surely that's the only time you would feel the need to put the hood up? It's just there as an option. Like wearing a cap when it's not even remotely sunny, it's just wearing what feels comfortable. (Yes I know they get paid for the hats before you say it - but I don't and I still wear a hat every time I play. :LOL: )

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I didn't watch every minute of the coverage so I don't know if it rained, but surely that's the only time you would feel the need to put the hood up? It's just there as an option. Like wearing a cap when it's not even remotely sunny, it's just wearing what feels comfortable. (Yes I know they get paid for the hats before you say it - but I don't and I still wear a hat every time I play. :LOL: )

I wouldn't have that hood up if it was raining as it didn't appear to be waterproof, so it would be like putting a wet towel round your head. If it was as cold as suggested, why hot put it up? As for wearing a cap when it's not sunny, that can cut stuff out of your peripheral vision.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have that hood up if it was raining as it didn't appear to be waterproof, so it would be like putting a wet towel round your head. If it was as cold as suggested, why hot put it up? As for wearing a cap when it's not sunny, that can cut stuff out of your peripheral vision.
On the other topic about this the poster linked to it online and it does claim to be waterproof, or at least water resistant. Mostly the point is why get worked up about it. It would be like someone having long sleeves and rolling them up, would you say why have sleeves and not use them?? They're just sleeves and it's just a hood. So what.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What used to amuse me at my old club was that I could sit in the spike bar wearing a pair if spikeless golf shoes that were, to all intents and purposes, a pair of trainers but could not, in fact, wear a pair of trainers even if they looked identical save for the bobbles on the bottom. Guess, that, if these are allowed, i can sit in the bar wearing a golf hoodie but would not be allowed to wear a normal hoodie.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, imagine going to the effort of reminding all your members that hoodies are frowned upon. Bigger things to worry about in the world I think. Absolutely mind-boggling. :LOL:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is an issue with the image of golf. I am in agreement that it needs to change to meet the modern times BUT you still have to maintain some form of standard on the course. I agree with earlier post and some people I play with look like tramps in their golf clothing. I hate seeing jeans but would not have an issue with a smart golf styled hoodie aka Hatton. I can’t stand this whole white knee high sock rubbish rule. We just look stupid. Whilst it is not a uniform or kit like in football baseball etc, we need to adapt. BUT surely you have to look smart as it’s part of the tradition of the game a bit like snooker? At our awards evening the juniors have to look smart even suited and booted if they want to. There are some really nice fashion driven golf clothes on the market and pretty sure more will come. Those clubs that adapt will see the benefits. Those that don’t will live with the consequences. In this day and age change is good and is very much needed but let’s not loose the traditional values of the game.

D

Deleted member 21258

I always remember a story someone posted on this forum (I think) a while back. A chap turned up at a course to play after work and was turned away for wearing a simple, smart t-shirt. He went back to his van, put on a polo shirt that was splattered with paint and/or plaster from his day job as a decorator, and that was fine because it had a collar. Where is the sense in that. :LOL:

Not to disparage Payne who was of course a legend of the game, but from these two pictures on outfits alone, which one would you say looks smart and which one ridiculous?

View attachment 32900
View attachment 32901

Is it a trick question, both are smart in my eyes :unsure:

I would pick Payne dress, must get into buying some plus fours, will go with my long socks perfectly.

D

Deleted member 29109

Good post from bi-guy. But if you're going to wear one of those skin tight tops you need to have Tiger's physique to pull it off: #gunshow #abs ;)

Well done for standing up to the committee. I think it's hilarious that people can get so wound up by something so trivial.

I was in my early 20s then. I certainly wouldn't wear one now ?.