Quick poll... Hatton’s hoodie: yes or no?

Are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie?

• Yes

Votes: 112 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Couldn’t care less

Votes: 80 32.9%
  • What’s a hoodie?

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So on a calm day you'd be happy to see jeans on the course..?
Jus' askin'....:whistle::p
No problem, for me, if others wear them. I simply never would - purely because of the wind factor. In this country (and most others, there's always going to be some sort of breeze in over 4+ hours!

Diamond

Visit site
I own several hoodies.
I wouldn’t want to play golf in any of them because in the summer and when the weather is mild they are too hot for swinging a golf club and hiking for 4 hours. When it is wet they offer no protection, when it is windy they offer no protection and when it is cold they are not much use either.
Hattons top was made of fleece so it was a fleece jacket with a hood. It was also fitted so looked very smart indeed.
Having spent time playing golf in the US he must have been nesh this week and went for the fleece jacket.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That appears to be more about being “shouted” at by older members than having to wear golf attire to play - the juniors we have when at group lessons etc all wear whatever they want and it’s the same with any club I have seen juniors at. But it also needs context -are they talking about junior members who are already playing the sport ? New people trying to take it up - will be amazed at any club who has a dress code for kids turning up for lessons etc

Nope quite clearly states they don't want to change their clothing. Its there in black and white. It doesn't state the kids don't like getting shouted at. Lawrie mentions clubs living in the past.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again Rick shiels hits nail on head

Shouldn't be an issue in 2020
Used example of a dad and his son who sees golf as kinda cool maybe once the dress changes ... Has a hoody and some trainers in his wardrobe .. pair of chinos and suddenly he doesn't need an entire new outfit to give the game a go..

And once again spot on
Plenty of people within the dress code who look like a sack of rubbish.

People who have worn the same washed out shift for 10 years .. shoes always covered in mud .. I'll fitting trousers

But their fine ofc

We have same at work when we pushed for own clothes

Uniform looks awful ..own clothes people look so much smarter .. trailered shirt .. but by same some will always wear uniform and look a sack of ....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again Rick shiels hits nail on head

Shouldn't be an issue in 2020
Used example of a dad and his son who sees golf as kinda cool maybe once the dress changes ... Has a hoody and some trainers in his wardrobe .. pair of chinos and suddenly he doesn't need an entire new outfit to give the game a go..

And once again spot on
Plenty of people within the dress code who look like a sack of rubbish.

People who have worn the same washed out shift for 10 years .. shoes always covered in mud .. I'll fitting trousers

But their fine ofc

We have same at work when we pushed for own clothes

Uniform looks awful ..own clothes people look so much smarter .. trailered shirt .. but by same some will always wear uniform and look a sack of ....
I always remember a story someone posted on this forum (I think) a while back. A chap turned up at a course to play after work and was turned away for wearing a simple, smart t-shirt. He went back to his van, put on a polo shirt that was splattered with paint and/or plaster from his day job as a decorator, and that was fine because it had a collar. Where is the sense in that. :LOL:

Not to disparage Payne who was of course a legend of the game, but from these two pictures on outfits alone, which one would you say looks smart and which one ridiculous?

im-109438.jpg
tyrrell.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember a story someone posted on this forum (I think) a while back. A chap turned up at a course to play after work and was turned away for wearing a simple, smart t-shirt. He went back to his van, put on a polo shirt that was splattered with paint and/or plaster from his day job as a decorator, and that was fine because it had a collar. Where is the sense in that. :LOL:

Not to disparage Payne who was of course a legend of the game, but from these two pictures on outfits alone, which one would you say looks smart and which one ridiculous?

View attachment 32900
View attachment 32901

People will deny it until their blue in the face but it's entirely a class issue.

Anything that is traditionally associated with the working class.... Jeans ... Hoodies ...trainers .. are a disgrace

Loud normal trousers? Fine

Hoodies should and will become acceptable just how trainer style golf shoes have become fine ..and now you can bet people just turn up in trainers and don't worry

Golf has come a long way but there is a long way to go whilst their are still snobs involved

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People will deny it until their blue in the face but it's entirely a class issue.

Anything that is traditionally associated with the working class.... Jeans ... Hoodies ...trainers .. are a disgrace

Hoodies should and will become acceptable just how trainer style golf shoes have become fine ..and now you can bet people just turn up in trainers and don't worry

Golf has come a long way but there is a long way to go whilst their are still snobs involved
That's absolutely where it originated, and you'd expect golf to have moved on a hundred years later wouldn't you?? Mad really.

I agree with you, the golf clothing manufacturers continue to push the boundaries which is good for the game in my opinion.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's absolutely where it originated, and you'd expect golf to have moved on a hundred years later wouldn't you?? Mad really.

I agree with you, the golf clothing manufacturers continue to push the boundaries which is good for the game in my opinion.

GettyImages-1142622727.jpg

If it's good enough for the goat it's good enough for Joe blogs

D

Deleted member 15344

Let’s be careful not to judge all golf along the same standards - there are lots of clubs that have worked hard to remove any class boundaries and allow a more relaxed atmosphere

Trainers , Jeans etc - there are many clubs that have no issues with people wearing these at the club and some also whilst on the golf course

Golf isn’t full of snobs - there will always be the small minority stuck in the past but many have moved on

Golf manufacturers constantly make clothing that is better and more relevant to the current fashion and it seems the aim is more about “Street to course” in regards the shoes especially , a hoodie is a fashion thing currently and no doubt some clubs will say they aren’t allowed , the same with cargo shorts , but many will have no issues at all

D

Deleted member 29109

View attachment 32902

If it's good enough for the goat it's good enough for Joe blogs

I bought 3 of those in the US the week they were released. They caused quite a stir when I wore them to play the weekend I returned. They weren't available in the UK for quite some time after the US release.

I even sat in a committee meeting at my club wearing one to defend myself for wearing it. My defence was it had a collar and was no different to a turtle neck which were all the rage at the time.

I even pointed out that I looked smart and a few of the friends of the people sitting in that room, whilst strictly confming to the dress code, did indeed look like they had wondered in off a farm of from a garage workshop. I also pointed out that may of the women members at the time were wearing collerles t-shirts.
The committee then decided that they were going to allow that type of t-shirt.

They really did rile a few people at the time. Being young I wore them for every game. A couple of league matches were won before teeing off due to my opponent being so annoyed with what I was wearing. There was even a few clubs that would sell you one, but wouldn't let you wear it on their course.

To this day, now I am firmly in middle age. I can't for the life of me understand why people get so upset by what other people wear to do certain activities.

I've worn my hoodies (Superdry as I'm in my 40s :D ) to play at my local 9 hole course and honestly don't even notice the hood is there, and my swing is awful. If you swing is hampered by a hood flailing around then a hoodie is the least of your problems.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

I wore golf shirt, shorts and flip flops for my whole time at the Machrie (normal golf shoes on the course with WHITE ankle socks). No issues with it there. I couldn’t do it at certain places though and wouldn’t dare try it either.

Each venue is different and they have the right to be that way. So just use common sense and check before you go. If the hoodie is acceptable at one place doesn’t mean it’s fine at another.