Qualifiers in Winter?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
My club runs loads of comps.
Normally once we move onto winter tee's (mat's) the qualifiers stop.
This year we have a properly measured & assessed winter course to continue running qualifiers throughout Winter.
Not too sure I'll bother then it gets really boggy though.

How many others on here (especially in the UK) play qualifiers throughout the Winter?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have competitions scheduled right through to the end of the year. But then again the course isn't really much shorter off the winter mat tees. Some holes are a bit longer even - it just depends where they've put the mat.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We normally play qualifiers the entire year round....ok so in December there are only 3, January 2 and February 2 but we are still able to hold them.

This winter however from Dec 12th we will not be holding any qualfiers until the first Sunday in March to allow so recovery and restoration work to be done on the tees. There will still be comps, but they will be played from yellow or temporary forward tees. Likewise, general play scores will be not allowed due to the forward placement of tees.

peld

Visit site
ours stop from tomorrow - our courses shorten significantly in winter e.g. one par 3 goes from 210+yrds to a pitching wedge, a par 5 (with a temp green) can be a driver and lob wedge.
Just match play in winter for me.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
full comps all year round. No mats, no temps (unless frozen). We have just started going off the yellows instead of the whites, which is only 150 yards difference across the whole course anyway

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Full comps all year round. No Mats, No temp greens.

We do have a few more "fun" events every few weeks in winter but all singles play comps are qualifiers still.

wjemather

Visit site
Our 'winter course' with fixed artificial tees is rated, so unless there are temporary greens, we have 'qualifying' comps every Saturday and Sunday all year round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Business as usual all year round...
White tees will be taken in tomorrow so yellows only but it doesn't make much difference..

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Qualifiers all year round for us, all off the yellows until spring now though, we have a few temporary tee boxes, but the course has been rated from the temporary tee boxes.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
We have moved off fairways from today.....any ball on the fairway needs to be moved to the first cut on the nearest side. As a result all general play and initial handicap cards have been suspended.

However, once a month the club will run one normal qualifying competition under normal rules.

We hardly ever have temporary greens being a links course, but if the weather is bad the course might be shortened to 14, although additional drainage has been installed and last winter I think all 18 remained open apart from maybe a few days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
None at mine, in fact we don't run any comps at all over winter though the other course across town does run a few non qualifying every week.

Tbh I can't think of any club up here that runs qualifying comps in winter.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Qualifying comps finished in August, finals in September, between now and next season the club have a Sunday winter 4bbb league, a Greensomes knockout and half a dozen non-qualifying Christmas comps.
Mats from now until spring, no winter greens, white tees disappeared at the beginning of the month. We are currently on the Summer course off the yellows, but as it gets wetter we will move to the winter course.
All of the courses are measured, but while many people submit GP cards in the summer, nobody in their right minds submits them in the winter, they just play so much longer despite being shorter, and consequently are actually more difficult.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
None at mine. My previous club didn't either apart from a brief 2 week experiment by the then manager. People chose to play casually, not in the competition, numbers in the comp dropped off a cliff and the experiment soon ended.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have all tees rated so it's qualifiers all year round.

We used to stop qualifying comps in Oct. but since the anti fun golf police started getting shirty that has ceased.

We're very close to the time of year where after a few days rain, the course isn't really good enough to stage qualifiers, so I won't bother with any more cards. Miss a green by more than a couple of yards you could be pitching off gooey muck.

From Saturday, a half set is going in the carry bag, and we'll just have a 4bbb for the beers. Hope that annoys the pendants sufficiently!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time our comps are non qualifiers is when there are too many temp greens. We still keep the same schedule of comps right through winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only GP 9 hole cards as major work ongoing. Normal times we finish comps and medals in October other than a November Handicap comp…though a qualifying Saturday Stableford runs every Saturday through the winter period. None of that this year though the Nov Handicap is being held but this year is not a qualifier.