I've moved club

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After a decent interview and chat on Friday night I have committed myself to a new club and completed my farewells to members at my existing club today.

The choices around me were quite restrictive with the large majority still well over £1k a year along with large joining fee's and some courses that I preferred (Beau Desert) had restrictive membership due to waiting lists, so, it made my decision a little tougher but I didn't want another year at my existing track at over £1050.00 a pop with too little qualifying comps for my liking and almost six (6) months of social golf from October onwards and I didn't want to travel too far either!

As such I have chosen to move to North Warwickshire Golf Club (link in signature), its a 9 hole Heathland course but with 18 tee's, so its not a case of going around the same 9 twice, it really does make a huge difference to most if not all the holes. Its almost the same mileage (5 miles) I'm used to but takes half the time through the back roads from my house :D

It isn't as 'grand' for want of a better expression than my existing clubhouse and track, but, I will more than double my qualifying rounds to close on 40+ from a miserly 19-21 which is very important to me at my stage of playing. It hasn't used a forward mat or a temp green in over 2.5yrs due to the excellent drainage and hasn't been closed at all over the wettest winter we've ever seen in this country, the only thing that closes this course is snow!

It runs an honesty bar where we serve ourselves so costs and overheads are massively saved by not having stewards and bar staff and that extra money saved is invested in the course consistently. I would say its a no frills very friendly, family-ish club with an excellent course.

I've been given courtesy immediately so I'm playing in a roll-up on Saturday morning to meet a few people and then on my 1st official new membership day (Tuesday), I'm playing at home in their B-team :thup: I've even got myself a locker already :thup:

I'm happy with this move, it will suit me with where I am in my game currently as I can throw myself at as many qualifiers as I want and more importantly, their spread out over 12 months. I recently picked up an injury and suddenly thought, if I'm out for 2 months and then we shorten the course at the end of September, I've paid £1200 for 4-5 months competitive golf :eek: This recent injury really made me think and move quicker in making this decision.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm getting all that and saving £400 also, £792 with no joining fee, it was a no brainer :cheers:

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with the new club.

Have only played one 9 hole course with 18 tees, was very interesting how much difference slightly moving the tee made.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice one Robin. I know you were frustrated by the lack of qualifiers at your old place..
I've played at a similar place a few times (Southport Old Links). 9 holes, but 18 separate tees. There is a sizeable difference on each hole, more than enough to keep the interest..:thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I couldn't add the link as once again I can't edit my signature since the forum changes were implemented :angry:

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck at the new club Robin, did you consider Stonebridge just across the road? I'm moving on myself, I'm not going to pay increased subs to a course that's planning to shut down. will probably go back to the Lickey Hills this year.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sounds like a good set up Robin. If I found a club locally that had Qualifiers throughout the year I'd certainly be looking into it.
Its always been a gripe of mine that I'm paying all my Subs towards 7 months of golf a year April-oct. I rarely play there over winter.

I take it Youll be pulling a few pints this weekend :cheers:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will be interested to see what your feedback is after a while being there. Especially interested to find out how it works with shared greens, but different tees. The Racecourse track which is run by my club is doing this, 9 greens, 18 tees. I just cant see it working well on a busy day, who has priority to the green? i assume there are rules in place to dictate this etc, but will be interested to hear how you are enjoying it after the busy season has kicked in.

I agree why you are moving, while your place was a great track, it didn't seem to be run that well from what you said with minimal qualifiers etc, also intrigued to see how quickly your handicap will come down! As we know, Kenilworth was a tough track, so i can not see you staying in the high teens for very long at all, my money is down to at least 14 by the end of the season. you are a much better player than your current 20 handicap! IMHO ;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds great Robin. My old club was a 9 hole with 18 tee's and played very differently both 9's. Cost is very important I think for most of us these days and the fact you have comps all year is good aswell

Enjoy :thup:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Interesting, as I may well be making a similar kind of move to a closer nine-holer which is also a heathland track this year, but for different reasons...

Haven't quite decided yet, but 90% made up my mind

G

guest100718

There is a 9 holer with 2 tees down my way. Mount Pleasent in Stondon, its pretty decent and seems to work well.

G

guest100718

its on our reciprocal list, never heard anyone recommend it before, may have to have a look in the summer

It's worth a knock. greens are usually in good nick, I prefer an 18 holer though.