I've moved club

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Good luck at the new club Robin, did you consider Stonebridge just across the road? I'm moving on myself, I'm not going to pay increased subs to a course that's planning to shut down. will probably go back to the Lickey Hills this year.

Wasn't interested in joining a "pay & play" course.

Is "the Warwickshire" too far for you fish? The earls is a gem

Wasn't interested in a "resort" style set-up, a lot of members leave the Warwickshire and come to Kenilworth and other nearby courses, again, not the set-up I was looking for.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks a good choice when looking at the website - that looks a welcoming club

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Had my first day at the new club and its going to take a little getting used to, there is no hustle and bustle, no waiting on tee's, no slow play, in fact, it was like millionaires golf and on a Saturday morning, it was simply amazing!

I got my times wrong for my start this morning believing it was 10.15 when in fact it was 10.50, so I arrived a bit too early at 9.30 and made good use of the putting green, nets and pitching range. At 9.30 there were about 12 cars in the car park, which on a glorious sunny weekend really surprised me. Anyway, as the roll-up members started to arrive at around 10.15 - 10.30, I never saw a single person arrive or drive off the 1st tee during that time, in what was at least an hour on a Saturday morning :eek:

We all ( about 15) had a 'mug' of tea, no posy posh cups and silly prices and worked out what the format was going to be and a Texas Scramble was agreed. I went off in the 1st 4-ball and was a bit anxious and knobbed it around for 4 holes, I then hit my 1st perfect drive and they took it, I then hit the next few drives miles in front of everyone and completed my 4 required drives in a row and we birdied those holes also :thup: Anyway, I then really settled down and had a great round striking the ball well.

Back to the club and the 2nd round was mine, it felt weird going behind the bar myself and pouring the beers and using the till, but hey, I think I could get used to it :cheers:

Very early days obviously but first impressions are that I'm going to be very happy, its laid back, not busy and a great track with quick greens, one of the guys I played with today played in 42 qualifying rounds last season, music to my ears :whoo:

Oh, and my 4-ball won the scramble with a gross 68 less 7 so a nett 61 :thup:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
good luck Robin - sounds a a smart move, especially given the amount of away golf you play and the quality conditions of the new club

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like you made the right choice fella, glad you enjoyed and heres to the rest of the season :whoo:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had my first day at the new club and its going to take a little getting used to, there is no hustle and bustle, no waiting on tee's, no slow play, in fact, it was like millionaires golf and on a Saturday morning, it was simply amazing!

I got my times wrong for my start this morning believing it was 10.15 when in fact it was 10.50, so I arrived a bit too early at 9.30 and made good use of the putting green, nets and pitching range. At 9.30 there were about 12 cars in the car park, which on a glorious sunny weekend really surprised me. Anyway, as the roll-up members started to arrive at around 10.15 - 10.30, I never saw a single person arrive or drive off the 1st tee during that time, in what was at least an hour on a Saturday morning :eek:

We all ( about 15) had a 'mug' of tea, no posy posh cups and silly prices and worked out what the format was going to be and a Texas Scramble was agreed. I went off in the 1st 4-ball and was a bit anxious and knobbed it around for 4 holes, I then hit my 1st perfect drive and they took it, I then hit the next few drives miles in front of everyone and completed my 4 required drives in a row and we birdied those holes also :thup: Anyway, I then really settled down and had a great round striking the ball well.

Back to the club and the 2nd round was mine, it felt weird going behind the bar myself and pouring the beers and using the till, but hey, I think I could get used to it :cheers:

Very early days obviously but first impressions are that I'm going to be very happy, its laid back, not busy and a great track with quick greens, one of the guys I played with today played in 42 qualifying rounds last season, music to my ears :whoo:

Oh, and my 4-ball won the scramble with a gross 68 less 7 so a nett 61 :thup:

Nice one Robin.. Glad you like it so much.. Hve you told them that they'll have to increase the Beer order from this week.?

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck at the new course. It sounds like a very similar setup to our track with 9 holes and 18 tees. It does make a massive difference moving a tee a small way, some holes at our place are longer, some have the tee on a slightly different angle and a couple of the tees change quite an easy hole into a pretty tricky one.
We do have staff at our place with a nice bar, the food is very good and all home cooked. At 400 notes a year it's very reasonable as well.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Good luck at the new course. It sounds like a very similar setup to our track with 9 holes and 18 tees. It does make a massive difference moving a tee a small way, some holes at our place are longer, some have the tee on a slightly different angle and a couple of the tees change quite an easy hole into a pretty tricky one.

Thanks.

1/10: 116yds longer on the 10th from the 1st drive off the 1st and now with the clubhouse in-between!
2/11: No difference in yardage between the 2nd & 11th but the angle difference is massive, behind and driving over a hedge :eek:
3/12: Not a great difference between 3rd & 12th other than a slightly further back raised tee.
4/13: Again minimal yardage difference and a slight angle variable
5/14: 20yds difference on this tough raised par 3 green
6/15: 88yds difference, very different angle and drops from a par 5 to a par 4.
7/16: 63yds difference on this Par 3
8/17: Not much yardage difference but like many holes, more fairway bunkers and hazards come into play
9/18: 185yds difference and moves from a par 3 to a par 4 with a charity bunker to the left, which I found facepalm.gif

The wispy grass is low at present to the sides of the fairways but you can already start to imagine when that gets above ankle and then knee high it will bring everything in tighter and give some great definition to the course. There are a few large vibrant yellow gorse bushes very close to the fairways, I found 1 of them and surrendered a ball to it, I saw it as losing my cherry to a new course :smirk:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Nice one Robin.. Glad you like it so much.. Hve you told them that they'll have to increase the Beer order from this week.?

I had to give an assurance to HID when she found about the honesty bar that I wouldn't kick the teethe out of it yesterday, so there's always the next day :cheers:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
How does it work where 2 groups are playing into the same green?

Can't happen, the tees are that close (visible) that your not sharing, no 2 groups can tee off at the same time down the same fairway. It really works very well, you have to play a 9 holer to understand it better.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't happen, the tees are that close (visible) that your not sharing, no 2 groups can tee off at the same time down the same fairway. It really works very well, you have to play a 9 holer to understand it better.

Does the group on the tee further on get priority if you both reach the tees at the same time ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Does the group on the tee further on get priority if you both reach the tees at the same time ?

It can't happen with 9 greens & 9 fairways, how can anyone come off the same previous green if you were playing say the 1st which is also the 10th and then moving to the 2nd/11th tees!

I think the only time there is a priority is, if a group are waiting to tee off on the 1st and we were putting out on the 9th, we would have priority as "were in play" and they haven't started, other than that, everyone tee's off the 1st only so it takes care of itself.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's quite simple really, players on the course get priority over those joining the course. If a group are teeing off on the 10th then those waiting on the first filter in after.

During competitions it is usual practise for there to be a certain amount of tee times then a gap, tee times restart as the first group are expeted to leave the course after their 18th hole.

The difference between the yellows and whites also make a difference on quite a few holes if I remember correctly

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
North Warwickshire is a cracking 9 Holer - played it many times. You'll enjoy it there Robin, I've always been made to feel very welcome whenever I've visited. The par 3 7th kills me every time I play there.

And as you said the best thing is the drainage - middle of the country and its on sand. Hope you have a great time there.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
North Warwickshire is a cracking 9 Holer - played it many times. You'll enjoy it there Robin, I've always been made to feel very welcome whenever I've visited. The par 3 7th kills me every time I play there.

And as you said the best thing is the drainage - middle of the country and its on sand. Hope you have a great time there.

There have been a number of new tees added over the last year, the 7th has a new back tee off the whites at 269yds for a tricky short par 4 which brings all kinds of problems with OOB tight down the left, the stream across the fairway, bunkers, tree's in the fairway and to the right and more, then on the turn its a par 3 at 209yds, I think its fast becoming the signature hole :thup:

Should be a few eagles on it though when I have a forum meet there as most on here should reach the green off the back 269yds blocks with their 5 irons :smirk: