Putting woes!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing yesterday I realised I have been an idiot with regards to putting (not the only thing I'm sure). Since coming back from lockdown and playing at my new course where the greens are really difficult, I have been tinkering with my putting grip trying to 'improve' it. Last night I went back to how I was gripping last year and it felt more comfortable and better. I think I just need to learn the greens and be patient, and stop messing about. ?

sunshine

Visit site
Sounds almost completely psychological!

Some questions:
1. Could it be the course? Some courses have very tricky greens and it's normal to take more putts. If the greens are poor and inconsistent it would also be normal to take more putts. Maybe it's not just you!

2. Do you putt the ball on the line you intended? I've seen people practising this by drawing a chalk line on the green and putting along it, you could use a piece of string on the carpet at home.

3. When the ball comes off the putter face, do you feel you've hit it with the pace you intended? (Ignoring whether the ball finished close to the hole or not). You can practise this by trying to putt to the same spot and seeing if you can repeat the stroke to get the ball to travel the same distance several times in a row.

Obviously you could have all sorts of technical issues, but the mechanics of putting are so basic that you can get away with poor technique as long as your stroke is repeatable.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My number one tip if you are struggling to get the ball to the hole is to imagine you are putting to a hole a few feet past the actual hole.

I do this all the time.

If the greens are slow.
If I'm putting up a large slope.
If downhill I'll look at an imaginary hole feet infront of the actual hole and putt to that.

I'll line up my putt. Take aim. Take one last look at whatever imaginary hole I want to putt to and try to burn that distance into my head and take the stoke as soon as I can when I finally look back at the ball.

That distance is the last thing im thinking about.