Putting Statistics

Blocker

Medal Winner
Visit site
When counting putts for a round what do most people count as a putt?
I've always counted any time I use the putter from anywhere as a putt but
a few of my friends only count putts on the putting green for their statistics.

I had a magic day with the wand on Sunday and stats would be 21 putts if
counting putts on the green and 28 putts if including putts from just off the green,
a vast difference :eek:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When counting putts for a round what do most people count as a putt?
I've always counted any time I use the putter from anywhere as a putt but
a few of my friends only count putts on the putting green for their statistics.

I had a magic day with the wand on Sunday and stats would be 21 putts if
counting putts on the green and 28 putts if including putts from just off the green,
a vast difference :eek:
I think the PGA Tour statistics only count putts on the green. If off the green it's just a 'Texas wedge', i.e. another way of chipping. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I count Putts from on the green only, but also then subtract GIRs, which covers the 'just missed' etc. Any number below 27 (36 minus 'cap) is Ok.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I include the putts off the green too. If I'm on the fringe and putt well so the next putt is a tap in, I don't think it's fair to say it's a one putt - that would give a different part of my game (short iron / chipping) the credit for the tap in.

Same with bad holes - if I putt from off the green but hugely under/over estimate the putt, then take another 2 putts, I want to see it as a 3 putt for practice sake, not a 2 putt.

If that makes any sense?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I count Putts from on the green only, but also then subtract GIRs, which covers the 'just missed' etc. Any number below 27 (36 minus 'cap) is Ok.

The subtracting of the GIR makes sense, but I don't get the 27 bit? That would mean if you drop your handicap, you would expect your putts to go up? 18 plus cap would make more sense (and allow me a score of 37, which is about right!!)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I include the putts off the green too. If I'm on the fringe and putt well so the next putt is a tap in, I don't think it's fair to say it's a one putt - that would give a different part of my game (short iron / chipping) the credit for the tap in.

Same with bad holes - if I putt from off the green but hugely under/over estimate the putt, then take another 2 putts, I want to see it as a 3 putt for practice sake, not a 2 putt.

If that makes any sense?

same. although I don't tend to count my putts. ill know if I make multiple 3 putts a round. I like to count how many 1 putts if I have had a stonking round with the putter!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The subtracting of the GIR makes sense, but I don't get the 27 bit? That would mean if you drop your handicap, you would expect your putts to go up? 18 plus cap would make more sense (and allow me a score of 37, which is about right!!)

Sorry. My '36 minus cap' should have been '36 [18*2 putts] minus (18 minus 'cap)[GIR target]' still 27 for a 9-capper. In truth, 27 is the high boundary for me - anything above is a poor day or maybe a long/tough course.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
See i think tracking your stats at our standard should adapted to the normal.

even as a Cat1 golfer, i track my stats as

Fairway - am i able to hit my approach shot in the exact way i want too (regardless of fairway or first cut)
Green - am i able to use a normal putting stroke (regardless of fringe or green)

my question would be - would you seriously say you 'missed the green' when you are on the fringe 10ft from the flag?

if you did, your recovery stats will be over inflated and your putting stats will show too good.

obviously its what YOU make of your own stats, so thats all that really matters

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
same. although I don't tend to count my putts. ill know if I make multiple 3 putts a round. I like to count how many 1 putts if I have had a stonking round with the putter!

I agree, I'm not into over-analysis, sometimes I have a good round with the putter, others not. Shot 40pts on the weekend, played really well, but still managed a 4 putt on one hole!

Luckily I chipped in for birdie 2 holes later, so it rather evened out my putting stats!

D

Deleted member 1147

If I was on the fringe, under a foot from the green, and the putt wasn't made much more difficult due to being off the green (say only 6 feet from the pin) I would count it as hitting the target, and as such I would count the putts.
If the ball was a long way from the pin, or the putt was made significantly harder by being in the fringe I wouldn't count it as a hit target, and as such I would count the putt as a chip.

D

Deleted member 1147

See i think tracking your stats at our standard should adapted to the normal.

even as a Cat1 golfer, i track my stats as

Fairway - am i able to hit my approach shot in the exact way i want too (regardless of fairway or first cut)
Green - am i able to use a normal putting stroke (regardless of fringe or green)

my question would be - would you seriously say you 'missed the green' when you are on the fringe 10ft from the flag?

if you did, your recovery stats will be over inflated and your putting stats will show too good.

obviously its what YOU make of your own stats, so thats all that really matters

That's how I see it - you just worded it better.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
The important bit is this .....
its what YOU make of your own stats, so thats all that really matters

Be consistent with your analysis and no matter how you add it up then it'll be useful to you .... if you want to compare with others then you have to use similar analysis.

For putting the only things I note are 'putts per GIR', and 'putts per missed GIR' ... these should give you everything you want to know. If your putts per GIR is higher than 2 then you should do some work on your lag putting, if your missed GIR putts are closer to 2 then practise chipping from off the green too :)

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I only count putts made when on the green. But I almost never use my putter if I am not on the green.

The stats I monitor during my round are as follows; FIR, GIR, number of putts and sand saves.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
on PGA Tour & elite Cat 1 ams you'd count putts on the green only in the putting stats. putts from the fringe don't go down as a 'putt'.

PGA Tour average putts per round for 2013 was 29.27. leading the list putting average 27.51 with a one putt average conversion rate of 45.71%. tour average one putts 38.48%.

tour average 3 putts 29.6%.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can understand why people take any shot with a putter as a putt but I only count putts on the green. In fairness I sometimes use a 6 iron off the fringe depending on the grass.

Out of interest people who count putts off the fringe do you then count this a a GIR?