Putting is Driving me Mental

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guys, need a bit of help.

Recently, probably over the past 4-6 weeks my putting stroke has just done a runner.

I used to have a nice smooth, straight back and forth stroke. Maybe 1 3-putt every 2-3 rounds.

Now I'm not actually sure what kind of stroke I'm going to put on the putt. I have no feel for distance. The ball hardly ever seems to find the middle of the putter. I'm now 3 putting 2-3 times a round.

I follow the same setup and practice swing as before. I haven't conciously changed anything.

My stroke now just feels 'false' if that makes any sense.

I've spent time practicing, but it all feels very mechanical and no real flow to the putt. And if anything practicing has made it worse.

The only time I seem to be able to get any kind of smooth stroke is if I just step up and hit the putt and don't think about what I'm doing. But, I usally hit a smooth putt, but distance control and line can be a bit variable as I haven't thought the putt out properly.

I'm sure this must be a mental thing. Too much going on in my head when I'm putting.

Any tips, ideas ?

This is typical timing for me. The rest of my game has started to come together but I'm being killed by my putting.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people will say that putting is at its best when it's natural, free from thought.
Others practice and become better putters.
The ability to offer up the putter face to the ball in the direction and speed you require is indeed an art to do consistently.
Even good putters have problems every now and then.

I played recently at Thetford where I putted badly in my eyes. I realised afterwards most of my missed putts were on the left. It was then I realised my hips were moving a touch on the downswing. 2 mins later, problem solved.
So it may be something simple that has changed in your putting stroke
Have you ever had a putting lesson?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mines gone AWOL too mate. I bloke, who won on Saturday, was telling us about his putting woes. He was a bit wristy, like me, and had one o' them monster grips 2 thumb grips put on his putter and claimed that it is now virtually imp[ossible for him to move his wrists. I've got one on order with our pro now!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stop worrying about it, and you will soon return to normal. The more you stress about it, the worse it will get. Just look at Sergio.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Bob, I had a putting lesson about 6 months ago and the pro basically said all my fundementals were pretty good. He said I could maybe be a little more agressive on the uphill putts but that was about it.

Murph, you may have something there. My putting improved after readin rotella's book. And the thing I tookm away from that was putt as if you don't care if you miss, my purring improved considerably just by thinbking that way. I actually think I've stopped doing that. So good catch.

I think also I'm going to have a check up with the pro and make sure my fundementals are ok as well.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing I found most helpful from Rotella's book, is to 'show' your brain the line you want to hit and the distance to the hole with any uphill/downhill parts, then let it figure out how hard to hit it.

I know that sounds very strange, but it works for me.

As well as pick my line, I take a look at the putt from the side to get a feel for the distance and see the slopes along the line.
Then all I do is see the hole in my mind while I'm looking at the ball, and make the stroke.

It feels really strange at first and you think it's crazy to not concentrate on how hard to hit the ball, but you'd be surprised what you can do when you just let it happen.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing I found most helpful from Rotella's book, is to 'show' your brain the line you want to hit and the distance to the hole with any uphill/downhill parts, then let it figure out how hard to hit it.

As well as pick my line, I take a look at the putt from the side to get a feel for the distance and see the slopes along the line.
Then all I do is see the hole in my mind while I'm looking at the ball, and make the stroke.

It feels really strange at first and you think it's crazy to not concentrate on how hard to hit the ball, but you'd be surprised what you can do when you just let it happen.

I'm going to try this bad boy! Cheers Gaz! :cool:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ah the 'Use the Force' putting technique :D

I'll give this a go. I think anything that stops me thinking too much when I get over the putt is what I need.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
just finished two of rotella's book and have easily cut 4-5 shots of my total putts a round! i have much more confidence on the greens in general.

his books are very good for the rest of your game too. i must have in my opinion.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I could have started this thread - last few rounds have been 34 - 36 - 36 - 33 and 36 putts per round.

Im still socring well but have lost it on the greens so i have a poutting lesson tomorrow and Bob I have just ordered a V-easy from your site, please please send it quickly!! :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Exactly. Put it this way, when you throw a ball to someone you don't spend 5 mins thinking how hard to throw it...it just happens.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Exactly. Put it this way, when you throw a ball to someone you don't spend 5 mins thinking how hard to throw it...it just happens.

Never actually thought about it like that, but that makes perfect sense!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I could have started this thread - last few rounds have been 34 - 36 - 36 - 33 and 36 putts per round.

Im still socring well but have lost it on the greens so i have a poutting lesson tomorrow and Bob I have just ordered a V-easy from your site, please please send it quickly!! :)

Just got home. Your V-Easy will be in the post first thing tomorrow morning :)

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
thanks bob, I will be test driving it this week and will let you know my putts this sunday :) :)

Just on the throwing similarities, i get that but surely there is a lot of margin for error when u thow someone a ball. If you threw someone a ball and had to land on the palm of their hand, then you would probably spend a bit longer getting it right ???

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks bob, I will be test driving it this week and will let you know my putts this sunday

You will feel a little silly when everyone looks at you thinking, "what the hell is he doing"... but you won't regret your purchase. You'll be amazed at how simple a product it is and how well it works.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
thanks bob, I will be test driving it this week and will let you know my putts this sunday

You will feel a little silly when everyone looks at you thinking, "what the hell is he doing"... but you won't regret your purchase. You'll be amazed at how simple a product it is and how well it works.

You'll have to get used to explaining what it is to your mates as most of them will probably have never seen it before.

Check out daven stockton, prob the best putting coach around, anyone who can go 960 holes on the trot without a single 3 putt knows what he's talking about, he uses some instinctive stuff as well and doesn't get bogged down mechanically.
As he said, "if I was to tell you to write your signature on a piece of paper and then make an exact copy underneath, you'd struggle to do it, it's just about impossible, especially under pressure"

Works for me, average 36+ putts per round, last 3 weeks average 27 :cool:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think over thinking is one of my biggest problems when I'm playing.

By nature I'm very analytical. I like to know how everything works. Why some things work better than others etc.

I know I play my best golf when I can almost switch off my brain and just hit the ball rather than think about what I'm doing.

The same apply s to my putting. So when my putting has been going south, I start to over-think things, and just make it worse.

So all I need to do is find a way to remove my brain before a round and put it back afterwards :D Easy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Over analysing is a problem with some people as they have so many swing thoughts in their head at once.
This obviously can lead to a phrase most of us have heard before...paralysis by analysis.
Being able to empty out all the rubbish and let the body do it's thing naturally is preferable but you have to have a repeatable natural swing in the first place.
And in my opinion, that takes practice.

Like walking or throwing a ball etc it has to be learned.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Frankly, my putting has been killing me recently. I set out with high hopes of acheiving par only to consistantly miss from inside 10 feet. I keep telling myself that all you can do is give the putt a chance. More often than not however, I know the putt isnt going in from the moment I hit it.

I have brought a custom fit putter, which is on the upright side. So now I cant blame my equiptment.

I have also got a V Easy. First note with the V Easy is that I hole everything inside 10 feet with it. So my alignment and judgement etc cant be bad.

What I have done is practice in doors (I would get interupted too much at our club) setting up a ramp at the end of a putting mat so the ball returns to me. No hole, just concentrate on the stroke and rythm. After say 50, hit a few without it, trying to replicate the stroke. What I noticed was the position of my left arm, which was not tucked in.

Now its early days but on Saturday I holed more putts inside 10 feet than I missed. I was par without feeling that I played too well. The same as ever from tee to green and just holing those putts that I would hope to hole and missed the week before.

Give the V easy a go, although like all training aids, its not so much the aid itself, its how you use it.