Putting a round together

Ross5582

Visit site
Hey guys

I am really just posting to ask any of you if you have any tips on how to put a round together. I play off 11 at the minute but feel that I should be about 8. I just can't get the round together. My driving is good my approaches are ok and my short game is ok, but just can't put it together. I always have 2 or 3 holes which ruin a good round. eg. yesterday - 3over for 15 of the 18 holes but I was 7 over for the other 3! This is happening almost everytime I play .

I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest how I could erase those stupid holes and finally get he results my rounds deserve

Thanks
Ross

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally feel that this is how you address the game mentally.

It sounds like you are conciously aware that this IS going to happen at some point, so there is no doubt that it will.

When ever you play a bad shot, the ability to let go of it and move on before the next one is vital. People say there is nothing you can do about a bad shot but thats not strictly true. You can make up for it on your next one.

I also think that you have to set goals and stick to them.

I at the moment am really trying to play to an 18 handicap, although i dont have an official one. If i make birdies then i add all the saved shots up for the hardest holes and use them there.

This really helps alot and my last two games i have played too 17 and 16.

Having extra shots on the harder holes takes the pressure off and eliminates card wreckers.

If we could all put together a decent round everytime we played though, we would all be on the tele.

Make best use of ya handicapp, thats why it is there.

Also, when you feel a little pressured or rushed after a bad shot/ hole. Take a few mins to relax, breeath deep and remember ya good holes. This usually brings confidence back quickly (for me anyway)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Ross, and welcome.

I am guessing you are a little better than me but haven't found the consistency that we (as wannabe single figure players) need to have to make the jump to regular sub-80 scoring. My rounds aren't messed up too badly these days with a few poor holes. I managed a couple of nasties playing for my card, but of late, they are mostly gone. I don't make many birdies (sadly) but frequently score no worse than a 6. I would recommend you have a think about the bad holes (later in the day, after the round) and try to see if there is a pattern emerging. For me, the most likely reason for a bad hole is the shot to the green after I have missed it in "regulation". To give you an example, I play a decent drive, bosh my second as close as possible and then leave a very difficult pitch which I either mess up (not completely) or end up 3 putting. Recently I have been thinking about where to leave the ball if I don't hit the green; avoiding disasters by conservative play is better than chasing an almost impossible par. Everyone is different, it may be other things causing the big scores, whatever it is, you need to know why before you can adjust your course management.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ross.

I promise you,the time will come.

If you can get it on the planet consistently then single figures are easier than you might imagine.

To break 80 regularly,the key is short game. Do your stats and you wil find that just a couple of putts or chips will be the difference.

Learn to think clearly and dont try to be Seve or Tiger from a rubbish situation.

Sometimes it will feel like you are a wuss or a wimp,just be strong and count their cash when the round is over!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would recommend the use of some sort of statistical software like strokesaver2 and try and record the details of as many rounds (competitive and non-competitve). One of the beauty's of SS2 is that it also lets you record part rounds so you can even put stats in if you just play nine (or paly a few and then cut in somewhere else on your course).

Over time you will get a really clear picture of exactly where your faults lie and how you perform hole by hole and round by round. That way you can form a strategy for taking out on the course to rectify these issues. If you discover a major weakness you can then go and practice or get a lesson.

By knowing your game you can learn from your experiences and I reckon you will be down really low pretty quickly