Putters

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My putting this year has been poor and my focus for the winter is to really look at that aspect of my game. I had an attack of the GIBBOs the other night and bought a new putter off ebay but, to be honest, I bought it because I liked the look of it - I don't really understand the difference between all the different putters that are available.

I want to be sure that I'm using something that suits me, so can anyone explain succinctly what the benefits are of different types of putter? e.g. face-balanced v toe-balanced, mallet v blade, 35" v 32", or centre-shafted v 'traditional'?

I asked my pro but he said "There's no difference, really - it's just what you prefer." I don't believe him...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Plenty of great info about Styles etc here http://www.best-putter.com/choosing-a-putter.html

Best thing to do, if you can, is try loads out at your nearest Golf Superstore.

A couple will simply feel right and it's likely these are the ones that will work best too.

Length is important as well. Many stores have a fitting Putter - and these work well. 35" is 'standard' but is rarely right imo. Rumour has it that that was the best length to have them visible in the huge Golf Bags that was how they were displayed eons ago - when they weren't deemed important!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I asked my pro but he said "There's no difference, really - it's just what you prefer." I don't believe him...

Well, to a certain extent he is probably right. You need something you like the look and feel of.

But it is probably worth considering some of the fitting issues suggested by foxholer. There is no good having a putter that you like the look and feel of, but which you can't hole anything because it doesn't suit your stroke.

I really like the look and feel of the old 8802 style putters (like Nicklaus used) and the Del Mar (Odyssey 9) style but I can't putt very well with them.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What sort of stroke do you use. Straight back and through or back on an arc

I'd say it most closely resembles a chimp having a seizure but iPing reckons it's a 'slight arc'

Plenty of great info about Styles etc here http://www.best-putter.com/choosing-a-putter.html

Best thing to do, if you can, is try loads out at your nearest Golf Superstore.

A couple will simply feel right and it's likely these are the ones that will work best too.

Length is important as well. Many stores have a fitting Putter - and these work well. 35" is 'standard' but is rarely right imo. Rumour has it that that was the best length to have them visible in the huge Golf Bags that was how they were displayed eons ago - when they weren't deemed important!

Cheers for the link - very interesting. My current putter is 35" but feels too long. The one I just bought is 32" and feels much more comfortable. Haven't used it in anger yet but I'd be amazed if it was any worse than its predecessor.

Well, to a certain extent he is probably right. You need something you like the look and feel of.

But it is probably worth considering some of the fitting issues suggested by foxholer. There is no good having a putter that you like the look and feel of, but which you can't hole anything because it doesn't suit your stroke.

I really like the look and feel of the old 8802 style putters (like Nicklaus used) and the Del Mar (Odyssey 9) style but I can't putt very well with them.

Yeah, I should have clarified that I'm willing to believe that preference will have something to do with it, it's more the comment that "there's no difference" that I struggle to believe.

Thinking about the ones I like, I used to putt quite well with an old Ping Anser 3 but have moved away to mallet heads on the recommendation of AG. Might be worth looking at an up to date version...

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
When the head fell off my £19 putter I turned to my pro.
He talked me through all the different styles and then gave me half a dozen or so to practice drills on the green (outside his window!) for as long as I needed.
I quickly eliminated all but two that I could not differentiate between so I chose the cheaper.
It then took about two weeks for me to feel fully comfortable with it.
(Odyssey Versa # 7 White)

Last edited:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off topic somewhat but if a pro lets you take several putters onto the putting green outside his window are these not now classed as second hand, surely irons and woods would be if they had been hit without being taped up. Just a thought.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off topic somewhat but if a pro lets you take several putters onto the putting green outside his window are these not now classed as second hand, surely irons and woods would be if they had been hit without being taped up. Just a thought.

No different to trying them out in AG.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can certainly recommend the iPing app; it taught me way more about my putting stroke than I ever knew.

There are loads of elements to consider with putters, for example:

- head shape
- toe hang
- length
- weight
- offset
- lie / loft
- etc.

Head shape in simple terms can be separated into blade vs. mallet. Mallets tend to have higher MOI (resistance to twisting) so, theoretically, should be less influenced by off centre contact.

Face balanced putters (putter face points to the sky) apparently favour straight-back-straight-through putter strokes, with 30 / 60 / 90 toe hang favouring those with progressively stronger arcs. I have a mid arc but still get on well with my face balanced putter.

Length IMO is more of a feel thing; if 32" feels the right length for you, then stick with it.

Weight is somewhat individual in my opinion. Heavier putters tend to reduce the ability of your small hand muscles playing a part in the stroke so can be more accurate for some of those shorter knee-tremblers, but heavier putters can often make distance control from longer distances more difficult. Heavier putters may also be better for those who play slower greens.

Offset is a personal thing as well. I've tried zero offset, centre shaft putters in the past with zero success; they just didn't suit my eye and I struggled to aim accurately and consistently.

Lie is potentially important. I understand the lie (combine with length) should allow you to stand comfortably over the ball with your eyes on the target line.

Loft I've never got my head around. I can understand how it influences the putt, but I don't know whether 2* or 4* is better for a particular stroke.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site

Nice try!
Tapping half a dozen balls?
That's all it took for me to eliminate most of them.
I was just feeling the weight and swing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers for the link - very interesting. My current putter is 35" but feels too long. The one I just bought is 32" and feels much more comfortable. Haven't used it in anger yet but I'd be amazed if it was any worse than its predecessor.

Yeah, I should have clarified that I'm willing to believe that preference will have something to do with it, it's more the comment that "there's no difference" that I struggle to believe.

Thinking about the ones I like, I used to putt quite well with an old Ping Anser 3 but have moved away to mallet heads on the recommendation of AG. Might be worth looking at an up to date version...

If a Putter feels too long (or short) then I would be 99.99% sure that it is. Shortly after the 2-ball came out (about 2003 from memory), I tried a standard length one and didn't really get on with it. The Pro Shop had another that just felt much better - at 33" - and I eventually bought that even though the (Shop) Pro described it as a 'Ladies' one! Just shows how much Customer and Pro awareness has moved on since then!

I'm very dubious about 'recommendation of AG', even from their Pros. I've had too many simple 'sales patter only' conversations with them, at least my local one, to truly believe their 'advice'. They do stock a very good range though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
don't rule out any putter length / model until you have tried it! that's my tip! sometimes the feeling and weight is "just right" at a certain length.

I used to always putt with short putters, now im happy with slightly longer ones. both are fine, just depends on how im feeling!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a Putter feels too long (or short) then I would be 99.99% sure that it is. Shortly after the 2-ball came out (about 2003 from memory), I tried a standard length one and didn't really get on with it. The Pro Shop had another that just felt much better - at 33" - and I eventually bought that even though the (Shop) Pro described it as a 'Ladies' one! Just shows how much Customer and Pro awareness has moved on since then!

I'm very dubious about 'recommendation of AG', even from their Pros. I've had too many simple 'sales patter only' conversations with them, at least my local one, to truly believe their 'advice'. They do stock a very good range though.

Nothing like customer service, eh!

It's actually a 35" 2ball that I have and I just feel a bit...cramped with it. Thinking back to the chat with the guy in AG, it wasn't exactly a forensic breakdown of my stroke.

The 32" feels a lot more comfortable, so I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Might have to spend some more time with the iPing too.

Cheers for all the replies :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take your putting stance, then without changing height etc hold a ball on the bridge of your nose and drop it! That should be a good indication of where the ball should be in your set up.

Use your current putter at that 'dropped' spot, does it feel too long, too short or comfortable? I'll warrant it feels too cramped for you and 33" might be bang on based on your posts.

I love the look of blade putters.
I love the solid contact you get with mallets, however, the issue with mallets is they are nearly all face balanced and a face balanced putter is fighting to open its face on the backswing! To test that take your normal left hand grip (for right handers) and replace your right grip by holding a tee behind the shaft just below the grip, now take your backswing and see what happens:rolleyes:

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take your putting stance, then without changing height etc hold a ball on the bridge of your nose and drop it! That should be a good indication of where the ball should be in your set up.

Use your current putter at that 'dropped' spot, does it feel too long, too short or comfortable? I'll warrant it feels too cramped for you and 33" might be bang on based on your posts.

I love the look of blade putters.
I love the solid contact you get with mallets, however, the issue with mallets is they are nearly all face balanced and a face balanced putter is fighting to open its face on the backswing! To test that take your normal left hand grip (for right handers) and replace your right grip by holding a tee behind the shaft just below the grip, now take your backswing and see what happens:rolleyes:

I did the bit in bold last night with the new putter and you may just have saved my putting! :eek: I dropped the ball from the nose and then hit some putts from where it landed, which was probably a ball or two further back in my stance than I had been putting from before. The result was a much more consistent line.

I have really struggled this season with pulling putts. So after doing the above, I'm guessing (and excuse the luddite explanation) that my stroke goes on an arc and, because the ball's so far forward in my stance, by the time I hit it my putter is arcing round to the left of my target line, hence the pulls.

I need to get out and practise this on the putting green but thanks very much for the tip - it could be a lifesaver :thup:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did the bit in bold last night with the new putter and you may just have saved my putting! :eek: I dropped the ball from the nose and then hit some putts from where it landed, which was probably a ball or two further back in my stance than I had been putting from before. The result was a much more consistent line.

I have really struggled this season with pulling putts. So after doing the above, I'm guessing (and excuse the luddite explanation) that my stroke goes on an arc and, because the ball's so far forward in my stance, by the time I hit it my putter is arcing round to the left of my target line, hence the pulls.

I need to get out and practise this on the putting green but thanks very much for the tip - it could be a lifesaver :thup:

Just to kind of reverse what you did, when i had my session with DH. he placed the ball in the optimum position in my stance and made me change my posture and position until the ball dropped where it the putting ball was. How i read what you have done is the opposite, move the ball to where it dropped. not saying that wont work,i have no idea! just sharing my experience from spending 3 hours on a putting green with a tour pro...

PS. when i first dropped the ball from my eye, it almost hit my toe! thats how upright i was! and that had an effect on my swing, it was all torso, not just shoulder rock so i "twisted" my whole upper body to putt.. I am now very much over the ball and the only moving part is my arms rocking from shoulder joint....

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think personally that youhave to work out if you are a feel or technical putter. There is no right or wrong way in my opinion but if look at Nickalaus's and Palmers style back in the day.....there didnt seem to be a lot of technical going on there..... Once you have done that then work out which type of putter plus the size fits you and your stroke best. Id say putting is the most individual of things and although some advice is always helpful its normally what feels good wins. I know good putters that look like their having a seizure over the ball!

Ive always been a feel type of guy ;) Ill have a few putters hanging around in the garage and if one goes cold its get "red carded" for another. I dont think its a bad thing to try and experiment with new things regularly! Grab a few cheapos off the bay, spend a few hours on the green and you might be surprised how it goes. :thup:

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to kind of reverse what you did, when i had my session with DH. he placed the ball in the optimum position in my stance and made me change my posture and position until the ball dropped where it the putting ball was. How i read what you have done is the opposite, move the ball to where it dropped. not saying that wont work,i have no idea! just sharing my experience from spending 3 hours on a putting green with a tour pro...

PS. when i first dropped the ball from my eye, it almost hit my toe! thats how upright i was! and that had an effect on my swing, it was all torso, not just shoulder rock so i "twisted" my whole upper body to putt.. I am now very much over the ball and the only moving part is my arms rocking from shoulder joint....

Thanks for that, man. The bit in bold interests me - I often have the feeling that I've turned through a putt and, as you can imagine, the results are never good. I might experiment with this approach too. Can't be a dead loss if it works for Howler...