Putter shapes/designs

BigTuna

Visit site
Hi all
I don't really know much about putters if I'm honest, so just looking for some thoughts / advice on what shape or design putter I should get for someone only playing for 18 months? Blade, mallet, toe down, ones with balls on, ones with stripes on etc. etc. - what do they all mean?

Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what it looks like, what matters is that you're comfortable with it and it puts the ball in the hole.
Everything else is garnish ....it may help you, it may not.
Putters are just about the most individual things in the known universe

BigTuna

Visit site
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what it looks like, what matters is that you're comfortable with it and it puts the ball in the hole.
Everything else is garnish ....it may help you, it may not.
Putters are just about the most individual things in the known universe

Yeah I get it's individual and what is comfortable, but surely the different designs must offer different performance, blade vs mallet for instance must do different things? Or am I over thinking it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is as Imurg said, it is so personal. I've tried most shapes before settling, for now :rolleyes:, on a two pronged Ping. Through much trial and error I realise I need some weight in the head and help with stability so that the face comes back through straight. I like the look of a blade but they just don't work for me, sadly.

No one style is right for all, just see the variations in the pro game and they can really putt.

You just need to get yourself down to a shop and try out as many styles as you can to see what works for you. (the smart way is to go for a fitting so that a pro can see how you putt and show which would suit you best)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yeah I get it's individual and what is comfortable, but surely the different designs must offer different performance, blade vs mallet for instance must do different things? Or am I over thinking it?
They do different things for different people....a player that needs a face balanced putter sometimes gets on better with an excessive toe hang model...
There's no hard and fast rule..you need to try as many as you can.
And don't feel it has to be the most expensive.....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Putting is pretty much all about distance and direction. If you hit it on the right path with the right speed, it will go in the hole. People being people, have many quirks, abilities and disabilities in how their bodies move and work. Putter designs are intended to balance some of the quirks, i.e. if you have an arc putting stroke, then a putter with a heavier toe will help keep the face square. If you have a straight back/ forward swing, a face balanced putter will help more (maybe). Then there's putter weight, some prefer a heavier feel, those that grip hard and swing hard may need a lighter feel. etc. etc. Basically comes down to what has been said above, go try a load, pick the one(s) that feel better to you, when I was looking to buy a Scotty I went to 7 or 8 different stores (was in Japan at the time), multiple times, and just kept trying until I narrowed it down to 2. Chose 1, used it well for about 4 years, put it away and bought another because I liked the look, wasn't the worst putter, used it for a couple of years and then bought another purely on looks, tried it for a month or so but couldn't get on with it. Now back with the Scotty and putting as well as ever.

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Not sure what you mean by "performance" but the big difference is this:

"The mallet putter gives players forgiveness, while the blade putter gives players feedback. "

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "performance" but the big difference is this:

"The mallet putter gives players forgiveness, while the blade putter gives players feedback. "

As a player of over 40 years experience of dozens of different shaped putters I have not a single clue what you mean by that

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Once upon a time, Ping made a putter called the Anser.
Since then, practically every manufacturer has made their own copy version of it.
Here's just one example

s-l1600.jpg

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What would one do with the feed back ? Give the putt a little more oomph when its already half way to the hole ?

Kennysarmy

Visit site

What would one do with the feed back ? Give the putt a little more oomph when its already half way to the hole ?

No, teach you to hit the sweet spot as missing it is more penal in terms of energy transfer.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, teach you to hit the sweet spot as missing it is more penal in terms of energy transfer.
I think the concept of the sweet spot on a putter has been shown to be a dismissable element of a putt. Face angle and pace are effectively everything. Plus or min half an inch from the sweet spot effects the same putt.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think the concept of the sweet spot on a putter has been shown to be a dismissable element of a putt. Face angle and pace are effectively everything. Plus or min half an inch from the sweet spot effects the same putt.

That might be the case with today's very stable mallets but not with a proper blade, which is why most players use mallets or Anser styles.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
It is indeed very personal! I've probably toyed with nearly 100 - certainly over 50 - but found what suited me best (the 1st putter I bought after the starter set was the best style!) and have always returned to that style. I spent a lot of time 'testing' in American Golf stores!