Putter trouble

TheChamp

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've noticed the odd time that i'm catching the ground with the putter on the way through the ball. I'm guessing this has something to do with the toe/heel angle.

Anyone any thoughts?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think your putter is too long for you and you are standing too far away from the ball at address.

How tall are you and how long is your putter?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do that sometimes, and most times realise I've looked to see where the ball is going before I've hit it.

I seem to find it hard to focus on the ball and not move my eyes when I know the ball is going to move, so I leave a little gap between the ball and putter and focus on the grass inbetween.
Because I know the ground isn't going to move, I find it easier to keep my focus there until I've hit the putt.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to do that because I toed up the putter and it was too far away from me. When I got my V-Easy it evened out my putter head and moved the ball under my eyes more.

My lag putting has improved no end!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to do that because I toed up the putter and it was too far away from me. When I got my V-Easy it evened out my putter head and moved the ball under my eyes more.

My lag putting has improved no end!

:D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I do that sometimes, and most times realise I've looked to see where the ball is going before I've hit it.

Correct. It's the same with chipping. If I hit a duff chip I can guarantee it's because I've got a little keen to see where it's gone before I've actually hit it. And it only has to be a fraction of a second. A fraction of a fraction in fact.
;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

I cannot make your head any bigger can I bob?

You did play your part in turning mid 90s into mid to low 80s for me by reducing 3 putts. I did find out to my cost that the player still has to concentrate and take their time to hole 1 footers... oops :D lesson learnt I hope.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get this sometimes, but when I used the V-Easy it seemed to pull the putter away from me. It now doesn't feel as though my eyes are above the ball. It has improved my putting stroke but just feel too far away from it.

I am just shy of 6ft and have a 35" putter. I also find that when I wear my waterproof jacket the top of the grip sometimes gets caught in the jacket a little.

Any ideas Bob??

TheChamp

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies lads. Very interesting.

Bob - i'm 5ft 11" and my putter is 34" long. I previously used a 35" and the problem was probably worse with it.

I also have a 32 inch putter kicking around which i should possibly try, although i don't like the weight on it near as much as my 34".