Putter geeks only - angry man or does he have a point?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the market for new putter.
evnroll looks similar to my Scotty Kombi are they as good as they say.
fiting in Merseyside anyone been?
any for sale 34"
I think the pro shop at Royal Lytham do Evnroll. The pro at Wilpshire in Blackburn has a Sam lab and fitted me for mine. Quite a revelation. I travelled a fair distance to be fitted and it was worth the trip.

D

Deleted member 15344

For me it will always be the Indian that is the issue and not the arrow

A new putter will not help someone be a good putter if there is issues with their putting stroke

And vice versa a good putter will be able to putt with any putter and be good

For me putting comes down to confidence - it should be nice simple stroke and getting the feel of the greens and if you are happy with your putter regardless of what make it is then you will IMO putt well as long as you have read the putt well.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it will always be the Indian that is the issue and not the arrow

A new putter will not help someone be a good putter if there is issues with their putting stroke

And vice versa a good putter will be able to putt with any putter and be good

For me putting comes down to confidence - it should be nice simple stroke and getting the feel of the greens and if you are happy with your putter regardless of what make it is then you will IMO putt well as long as you have read the putt well.
I would have agreed had I not been fitted. The Sam Lab results showed that I was striking the ball on a much wider dispersion on the face of my Scotty compared to the Evnroll, which was pretty much dead centre on every stroke. All with what I thought was the same stroke. To be clear, the fitter was not actively trying to sell me an Evnroll but he did say the "fang" style mallet with a thick grip worked best for me by far. He did also suggest a shorter backstroke would help generally.
Since I bought it in February my putting has improved quite significantly and is much more consistent.
That is not to say that the putter is the "be all and end all". I have seen further improvement by concentrating on a shallower stroke.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting lesson revealed.
standing to far from ball so eyes not over ball.
sorted this and was better.
evnroll may make it better will have fitting to see!
Thanks for info lads.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have agreed had I not been fitted. The Sam Lab results showed that I was striking the ball on a much wider dispersion on the face of my Scotty compared to the Evnroll, which was pretty much dead centre on every stroke. All with what I thought was the same stroke. To be clear, the fitter was not actively trying to sell me an Evnroll but he did say the "fang" style mallet with a thick grip worked best for me by far. He did also suggest a shorter backstroke would help generally.
Since I bought it in February my putting has improved quite significantly and is much more consistent.
That is not to say that the putter is the "be all and end all". I have seen further improvement by concentrating on a shallower stroke.
yes this is what I am hoping for .
Better stroke and fitted putter.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the Evnroll and Ketsch it's all about their variable milled grooves and how this translates to consistent distances. I say this, but really I have no idea as I use a battered old Yes putter.

Ay-up lad.... ‘as the jus moved to Leeds? Brings our local forumers to nearer half a doz..... where yer play?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of the worlds greatest putters stuck to one putter the successful part of their careers.

Bobby Jones, Bobby Locke, Ben Crenshaw, Bob Charles, Billy Casper and Arnold Palmer for starters.

Can't think of any modern players who have followed suit.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Some of the worlds greatest putters stuck to one putter the successful part of their careers.

Bobby Jones, Bobby Locke, Ben Crenshaw, Bob Charles, Billy Casper and Arnold Palmer for starters.

Can't think of any modern players who have followed suit.
I’m pretty sure Speith has stuck to one putter, bar one tournament when he was struggling, but he went straight back to his trusted one.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aaaah, neat. Yer been there long? Played tennis match there many years ago but not Golf. My in-law is considering joining. SOrry for thread High jack 🤥

No worries. Yeah been playing there for about 6 years now. Love the place, great crack.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
(I didn't watch the video, read first page of replies and skipped the other 5.)

I did a putter fitting to get my putter, with Ed Morton. He made it clear than in his opinion, the looks of the putter are very important, alongside all the putting data that his machines produced. He said if you look down at your putter and hate what you're looking at, it will affect your putting negatively, and I could totally see the sense in that. Consequently I told him I don't like the enormous chunky putters and ended up selected a wide-ish bladed Odyssey model, which I'm still happy with a year on. It is my intention to keep this putter as long as possible, until I'm so used to it it's like an extension of my own arm. Having been fitted for it I see no point in chopping and changing putters.

So yeah, there might be some other putters out there with better tech but I don't want to look at it then I don't want to put with it. I agree with Ed on that. It's a confidence thing.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a Sam lab putter fitting to get fitted to my Scotty. Needed a heavily toe weighted putter, had a face balanced putter.

I think the vid is talking to people who already know what type of putter they need. Need face balanced and using a toe weighted? Just the right shape / design will help.

Want to get the most from your putting? Get the Evnroll version of the putter you've been fitted with (mine would be an Evnroll 7 or 8) to see improved putting. That's what I got from the video anyway.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with the principles he is portraying in that a good putter fitting for the correct putter is what is required and that one that offers you the most support for your requirements is best however the video does feel like an advert for Evnroll.

Having only briefly used one for a play around in AG I couldn’t find a great difference between the Evnroll and my current putter for hitting the hole although preferred the feel from my current wand.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the evnroll has a super high MOI. Hasn't other putter manufacturers tried this before or in the process of offering putters with increased MOI.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Would these putters not be more widely used on tour if these are the only putters that will improve your putting? Mcilroy fell out with his nike putter then went to scotty then went back to nike. Not a ping in sight.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would these putters not be more widely used on tour if these are the only putters that will improve your putting? Mcilroy fell out with his nike putter then went to scotty then went back to nike. Not a ping in sight.

POssibly someone of Rory's level doesn't need the forgiveness that the Ping, Evnroll etc offer us handicap golfers!