Putter geeks only - angry man or does he have a point?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I choose a putter on how it "feels". I have a selection of different ones, but find my Rife ones the best and current Cayman Brac the prettiest.:)

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He's pretty much right, but consider this.

2 terrible putters are shopping for a new flatstick:

1st one buys a monstrosity high tech putter (I'm not saying the high tech ones are always ugly, but in this example it is), it salvages a few strokes over the course of a few rounds.
2nd one buys a gorgeous putter, a real head turner. He immediately wants to get home and practice with it, any excuse to roll a few at home. Who wants to pull a gorgeous putter out the bag and 3 putt every green with it? Not me that's for sure. I don't anyone would disagree that you will practice more with a club you love.

There's also a million steps between the 2 above. It's not black and white.

D

Deleted member 18588

He's pretty much right, but consider this.

2 terrible putters are shopping for a new flatstick:

1st one buys a monstrosity high tech putter (I'm not saying the high tech ones are always ugly, but in this example it is), it salvages a few strokes over the course of a few rounds.
2nd one buys a gorgeous putter, a real head turner. He immediately wants to get home and practice with it, any excuse to roll a few at home. Who wants to pull a gorgeous putter out the bag and 3 putt every green with it? Not me that's for sure. I don't anyone would disagree that you will practice more with a club you love.

There's also a million steps between the 2 above. It's not black and white.

Nice thought but in all likelihood Player B will not practise his/her putting enough to compensate.

Rolling putts on the carpet at home is IMO fun but not worthwhile practice

Pretty putters are fine, God knows I have bought enough of them over the years, but I just can't understand the resistance to tech in the club used the most often. Particularly from those who willingly acknowledge its advantages in the rest of the bag.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice thought but in all likelihood Player B will not practise his/her putting enough to compensate.

Pretty putters are fine, God knows I have bought enough of them over the years, but I just can't understand the resistance to tech in the club used the most often. Particularly from those who willingly acknowledge its advantages in the rest of the bag.

It's not all about the score.

(I've put that in my signature now so you'll be pleased to know I won't be saying it any more.)

D

Deleted member 18588

It's not all about the score.

(I've put that in my signature now so you'll be pleased to know I won't be saying it any more.)

I agree 100% but, as I said, there appears to be resistance to tech in putters from those who willingly embrace it in other clubs.

Not only that but they often proudly claim that the technology has helped improve their scores.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I will always disagree with anyone who says this. I do it often because it helps develop a consistent putting stroke. I do mess around these ball returners or any kind of putting cup, I'm not trying to make putts like I would be on a putting green. I just roll 3 10 foot putts backwards and forwards across the carpet trying to hit the last ball with the next one.

D

Deleted member 18588

I will always disagree with anyone who says this. I do it often because it helps develop a consistent putting stroke. I do mess around these ball returners or any kind of putting cup, I'm not trying to make putts like I would be on a putting green. I just roll 3 10 foot putts backwards and forwards across the carpet trying to hit the last ball with the next one.

I was perhaps a little harsh to suggested that there's no benefit to be gained as, of course, it can help with developing a repeating stroke.

It is, however, of far less benefit in learning how to judge length and pace.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was perhaps a little harsh to suggested that there's no benefit to be gained as, of course, it can help with developing a repeating stroke.

It is, however, of far less benefit in learning how to judge length and pace.

I can't argue with that, you will never learn to read putts and judge pace on your carpet. I just think the most important thing with putting is developing a repetitive stroke first, the judging pace will become easy if you hit your putt with the same stroke very time.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been using a Cure RX4 for a few months now. Very hi-tech, huge MOI, very customisable and has improved my putting enormously. I like the way it looks but the general response from people I have played with is "how big and ugly"! Until they give it a proper try (ref Maninblack). The reality in golf now is that tech rules. The putter is the final frontier.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the market for new putter.
evnroll looks similar to my Scotty Kombi are they as good as they say.
fiting in Merseyside anyone been?
any for sale 34"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what exactly is the tech in these putters?

forgiveness, counterbalance for smooth stroke, proper length and lie, weight adjustment.

am i missing any?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

forgiveness, counterbalance for smooth stroke, proper length and lie, weight adjustment.

am i missing any?

For the Evnroll and Ketsch it's all about their variable milled grooves and how this translates to consistent distances. I say this, but really I have no idea as I use a battered old Yes putter.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

am i missing any?

A lot of it is to do with how you still get a very similar roll when you don't hit it out of the middle. Weighting it in such a way that when you catch one towards the toe the putter doesn't twist as much keeping it online. Grooving it a certain way to increase the overspin so you get a better roll. Apart from that. I can't really see much else you can do with a putter.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've gotta be honest, I've never been as consistent as I am now that I've moved to a torque balance/toe up putter.

Effectively a modified blade shape, lovely insert and al the 'tech' where you can't see it.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Someone who changed from a Scotty to an Evnroll, I agree with him. But I also think they look quite nice too.