New to the forum, and have a dream

D

Deleted member 15344

Good luck - think you are going to need it and buckets more

The seniors tour is a very closed shop , not many cards available but you can get on some events via qualifying

I play Pro Am's with a pro who had the odd start on the ET and regualry qualfies for the PGA Seniors but he has been a pro since the age of 16

Whilst dreams are admirable if you aren't scratch by now and even in plus figure HC and with age catching up its one massive task - good luck with it but I hope it doesn't take over the enjoyment of the game

S

Snelly

Good luck with your endeavours and welcome to the forum.

I think that the biggest challenge won't be getting to a level where you can compete with the best senior golfers. I think with a lot of practice and dedication, a Cat 1 player can become a scratch player or perhaps better. Not easy by any means but certainly possible.

No, the really, really difficult part will be if you get to that level, can you really and truly produce your best when it counts? When you have got to play well, can you do it? For example, to make a cut or win some money or a local tournament. It is this very rare mental strength, rather than the capability to hit good golf shots, that separates the men from the boys.

Golf clubs across the country are full of excellent players who can hit 300 yard drives, laser like irons and have terrific short games when they are on their mettle. But can they do it when the chips are really down? In most cases, probably not. Just ask around your local area and you will find plenty of stories of amazing young kids with plus handicaps that everyone believes will make it and you will find that in all but a few rare cases, they have unhappy endings.

I wish you well though.....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
To give you some context about how good the seniors Tour players are...

Gordon Brand Jr is a member at my club, last year he made pretty much every cut (i just checked) on the seniors tour. At our place he shoots around 60 on our second course pretty much everytime he tees it up.

The best players at our club (around scratch) shout about 67 on it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope you stick around and share your journey with us. You've set yourself a very big target, but you're clearly a talented golfer playing off as low a handicap as you do, so with the right discipline and organised practice there's no reason you can't do it. Simon Thornton took to the game late, and after dedicating himself to getting on Tour, and within 10 years of turning professional won on the European Tour.

[video=youtube;Ge0grfUq3z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge0grfUq3z8[/video]

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got to love some of the positive responses on here!

Go for it mate. You'll never know if you don't try. I have a similar dream of trying to play in the open. I've given myself 5 years to go for that one.

AP_DREAMCHASE

Visit site
Again I'm under no illusion as to how big the task is in front of me, I think the comment about the seniors tour has been taken a little out of context. I'm almost 20 years away from being old enough to play on the seniors tour as I'm only 33 just now. I used that sentence as an example that if it takes that long for me to get good enough to turn pro then that's how long I intend on sticking at it.

I am now in it for the long haul in my effort to improving my golf game and spending more time playing this enjoyable and frustrating game. As I say I know it's going to be extremely difficult but it wouldn't be as rewarding if it was easy.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
AP_dreamchase....I have dreams of breaking 100 this year, breaking 90 next.

My 1st round in feb saw me walk away with an awful score that looked like 2020 would be more likely for breaking the 100. However, a change of weather & focus saw me walk off the 18th last weekend with 108, and that was after losing 2 balls in a lake.

My point being, if you set mind to it anything is possible. Just don't get disheartened on the way if you hit some bumps along the road.

Good luck!

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can play as a pro off a hc of 4 can't you? I believe Ian Poulter started that way. The difficult part comes in getting up out of the lower leagues so you can earn money rather than spending money to compete. That's going to need a hc of at least +2.

D

Deleted member 1147

My club's old head pro, Paul Wesselingh, wasn't a tour player as far as I'm aware but is now very successful on the Seniors.

So get down to 4, turn pro and anything is possible...

... hopefully!

Best of luck!

D

Deleted member 15344

My club's old head pro, Paul Wesselingh, wasn't a tour player as far as I'm aware but is now very successful on the Seniors.

So get down to 4, turn pro and anything is possible...

... hopefully!

Best of luck!

He turned pro in the 80's and played in the regionals and even the Open a few times

Played on the same circuit as the Pro we play with.

Was winning local pro events throughout the 00's before going seniors

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can play as a pro off a hc of 4 can't you? I believe Ian Poulter started that way. The difficult part comes in getting up out of the lower leagues so you can earn money rather than spending money to compete. That's going to need a hc of at least +2.

your statement is correct, but the whole poulter turning pro off 4 thing is a bit of a farce. He was a significantly better player than that prior to turning pro but just never played in comps.

Also the requirement to turn pro off 4 is purely to become a PGA pro, a touring pro could turn pro whenever he wanted.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best of luck to you sir, Better to dream and try than not try at all.

We get one life to do what makes us happy, do what ever that is. At least you'll never luck back with regret.

I hope you enjoy the journey, whatever the destination.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How is the OP planning to get down to be good enough for the Seniors tour. Honest question. Will he be using a teaching pro (and is he a club pro or someone who coaches at a good level) or is he going to plough a lone furrow. What emphasis is he putting on the short game and in from a hundred yards vs the long swing

AP_DREAMCHASE

Visit site
As I said in a previous reply I'm not actually aiming for the seniors tour, I'm 20 years too young for that just now. I have hardly played over the last 2-3 years 6 medal rounds last year and 3 the year before and still managing to chip away at my handicap of 5. I'm now in a position that I can play more golf and have a renewed enthusiasm for the game and I am going to see if I can achieve a goal of competing in a professional tournament as a professional golfer at some point in my life. I am not a pro at the moment or have any coaching experience. I am going it alone to see what I can achieve. Main focus is short game, mental approach to complete game and fitness.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
As I said in a previous reply I'm not actually aiming for the seniors tour, I'm 20 years too young for that just now. I have hardly played over the last 2-3 years 6 medal rounds last year and 3 the year before and still managing to chip away at my handicap of 5. I'm now in a position that I can play more golf and have a renewed enthusiasm for the game and I am going to see if I can achieve a goal of competing in a professional tournament as a professional golfer at some point in my life. I am not a pro at the moment or have any coaching experience. I am going it alone to see what I can achieve. Main focus is short game, mental approach to complete game and fitness.

Where abouts to you live out of interest?

If you are local to Leeds/West Yorkshire I would love to meet you and discuss your mental approach further. Maybe offer a few free sessions and blog your progress.