Pushing Putts

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any tips to help prevent pushing shortish putts? 6 footers and the like.

It seems to have crept in to my recent putting, not sure if it's too much bottom hand? I have an orthodox putting grip and try to keep both thumbs vertical down the shaft.

Cheers

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is a heath-robinson rather than a proper fix, but a pro once told my mate to turn his right hand under the grip as far as it would go, then it isn't possible for it to tweak when you hit the ball.

It won't help if the problem is your shoulders or arms though.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a heath-robinson rather than a proper fix, but a pro once told my mate to turn his right hand under the grip as far as it would go, then it isn't possible for it to tweak when you hit the ball.

It won't help if the problem is your shoulders or arms though.

As in strengthen it you mean? So palm is facing up?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes. If you push putts because your right hand opens at impact, open it as much as you can before impact.

Like I said, a bit of a fudge. Bob's advice will be more useful.

Good advice to check the grip

Nope? With the idea to be more connected? Elbows in?

That's the idea.

It's either the swing path, the clubface or the aim thats at fault

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Different angle on this but are you sure you are lining up correctly on the shorter putts?

I find I have a tendency to think I'll make a short putt and therefore I don't go through my usually routine of lining the ball up - this usually results in a missed putt. I'm trying to get out of the habit before summer!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Different angle on this but are you sure you are lining up correctly on the shorter putts?

I find I have a tendency to think I'll make a short putt and therefore I don't go through my usually routine of lining the ball up - this usually results in a missed putt. I'm trying to get out of the habit before summer!

Most probably the issue.

Most golfers don't aim their putter where they think they do, just check your alignment.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any tips to help prevent pushing shortish putts? 6 footers and the like.

It seems to have crept in to my recent putting, not sure if it's too much bottom hand? I have an orthodox putting grip and try to keep both thumbs vertical down the shaft.

Cheers

as been said check alignments paying close attention to the shoulder(upper chest) line ways easy to have it all a little ways aimed right
check putter face alignment is square to the line to hole (assuming straight putt) check back of lead hand echoes putter face alignment

find a 4' straight putt set up 2 alignment sticks parallel to the line of putt that give 1/4" clearance each end of putter - start both sticks a foot from the hole to from 'track' - place ball at 4' then stroke the putt - could well be the putter had been taken back too far inside coming back from the inside ball then struck off right - could even be putter taken back outside then the brain 'compensates' by tweaking the face held open through strike ball 'cut' right - either of these 'takeback paths' with the parallel sticks will show up easy as putter will move ways to much towards or even cross over either sticks (if you have an arc based stroke the putter will move to the inside stick some but should still stay clear of it)

as been mentioned lower half (along with the head) gotta stay rock still - do the above alignment stick drill with a sand wedge handle resting against the trail leg if you have any lower movement will feel the wedge handle moving some against the leg