TaylorMade Spider Question

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a quick question for those of you who have Spiders. I bought one second hand, it's arrived, but the shaft angle seems weird. If you had the mallet head flat to the ground, your hands would be two inches behind the ball. Are they meant to be like that or have I got a duff one or a modified one?? Please see photos attached. The full length one shows the shaft angle if the head is flat to the ground. The other photo shows how the back of the putter is off the ground if I have the shaft vertical.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617_153704_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617_153704_Gallery.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20230617_153717_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617_153717_Gallery.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 115
D

Deleted member 15344

What’s weird about it ?

That’s just a standard slant neck shaft

That grip is shocking though

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s weird about it ?

That’s just a standard slant neck shaft

That grip is shocking though
The angle just seems very extreme. Maybe it's to stop the back of the mallet head hitting the floor? I've literally never used a mallet style before so I don't know.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could always take it to a pro who has the neccessary ability to adjust the head loft, or go to somewhere that sells then and ask.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've only used a Spider for one round and can't remember how the head sat.

I'd expect that a little angle was needed to stop the back of the head grounding as it follows through but that does look a little extreme.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to putt with the putter head in the middle of stance and the ball slightly forward anyway, so it might be fine. I won't return it, I'll just give it a go and see how I get on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what you mean from the photo.

However if you mean the shaft is ahead of the face at address that is a common design feature with a lot of putters.

With some it means the shaft is actually aligned with the middle of the ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what you mean from the photo.

However if you mean the shaft is ahead of the face at address that is a common design feature with a lot of putters.

With some it means the shaft is actually aligned with the middle of the ball.
No not that at all. I mean the shaft is angled backwards. So if I hold the shaft completely vertically, the back end of the putter head is a cm off the ground.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah that looks like its bent pretty badly, i assume at set up its got negative loft. You can see damage to the slant neck paint too like its been bent. Trip to your local fitter/pro is required....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No not that at all. I mean the shaft is angled backwards. So if I hold the shaft completely vertically, the back end of the putter head is a cm off the ground.

I get what you mean. Most people putt with the ball ahead of centre which means the shaft will have a slight front to back angle rather than straight down

If you you putt with this putter centre of your stance it also means you are delofting it and you might find it initially jumps rather than rolls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that looks like its bent pretty badly, i assume at set up its got negative loft. You can see damage to the slant neck paint too like its been bent. Trip to your local fitter/pro is required....
Ah.. you've changed my mind again. I can just return it still rather than getting it altered. I think I need to go and look at a couple of new ones again and see how they compare...

D

Deleted member 1147

Looks bent to me
When the head is down flat the shaft should be straight up, about half a shaft infront of the face.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks bent to me
When the head is down flat the shaft should be straight up, about half a shaft infront of the face.
Yeah, cheers. To hit a decent putt you'd have to have your ball position about the same as a fairway wood!

I'm getting a refund from GolfClubs4Cash. I'm currently arguing that I shouldn't have to pay the postage cost because the item was not as described (absolutely no mention of being modified/bent in the item description). The first email I got suggested they were doing a free return but today they're saying £5 will come off my returned money for it. :rolleyes: Personally I think any severe modifications like that should be mentioned in the listing.