Psychology

Tobyamu

Hacker
Visit site
Played at my local club today and was 1 over thru 7 holes, which is pretty good for me as I'm a 18 handicapper, stood on the 7th tee which is a stroke index 4 a monster of a 4 par and completely bottled the drive, hooked it straight into the rough but found it and ended up with a 7 and my round completely collapsed after that.
has anyone got any reading material or advice on golf psychology?

Thanks in advance

Tobyamu

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it may not be totally psychological but merely a lack of experience. It is a bit like a relatively small time pro suddenly getting into a winning position in a big event (think Andrew Oldcorn at the BMW a few years back). you haven't been in that position so did not have the experience to play to your capabilities. If you had been unaware of your score you would in all likelihood carried on doing what had got you to the position in the first place. Even allowing for the odd bad hole your handicap indicates you have you would still have shot maybe 10-12 over.

It is only by getting into these positions, particularly in things like club matches that you actually gain the practical experiences to deal with them. It has a lot to do with course management. Play every hole as a par five and you shoot 90 (nett 72) which will see you in contention in most medal events. You just need to learn that you don't have to force a score. Similarly you don't need to protect it either which causes the swing to slow and quitting on shots.

You prove you have the skills to do it so next time you start playing well and scoring, just go with the flow. Keep the same pre-shot routine and just play one shot at a time. I was in a similar position yesterday. Level par for the first nine (playing off 14) with an easy hole at 10. Hit the fairway and then pulled a six iron trying to play to the middle of the green. I bogied it and the next 4 holes because I started to try. Ended up +6 which was a course record for me but if I had just remained focussed I wouldn't have lost a couple of shots through a tense swing.

Either way, whether you read the books or not (both recommendations are great choices) just enjoy the fact you played so well and don't be scared next time. Keep up the good shooting

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'll try save you a few quid here - don't buy any books!

As Homer says, just enjoy it when you do play well. None of us will play well all the time - we just have to accept that there will be more trash than perfect played.

I'm still working on the attitude myself and it's not 'not caring' but just accepting what happens and not beating myself up has certainly changed my psychology on the course.