Project a replacement

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was just looking to order some Taylormade project a balls but now no longer available.

Any suggestions for something similar I could look to try before getting a bulk order in.

TIA.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I used to play the Project (a), was indeed an excellent ball at a good price. I have replaced them with the Honma TW-S, which is equally as good, and cost effective.

Recently managed to get 3 boxes at £16.99 each, an absolute steal. The Clubhouse offer linked above is as close as you'll get, and almost as good.

Springveldt

Visit site
The project a was a really good ball for me. I might have a punt on the Honma ?
I played the Project(a) a few seasons ago when I got a deal on them, they were great balls. I switched to the Bridgestone Tour B-RX which felt nearly the same and if I'm honest was a better ball for me. This year I've played the Honma TW-X as the price was too good to resist (got 4 dozen for £76) and overall I've been happy with them.
As @Orikoru has said I'm sure the Tour Response was a direct replacement for the Project(a), it has all the same characteristics of it. Urethane cover, soft and lowish spin.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was just looking to order some Taylormade project a balls but now no longer available.

Any suggestions for something similar I could look to try before getting a bulk order in.

TIA.
They are available on PremierLakeballs.com, only £41.99 plus delivery for 40 Pearl grade/A grade mix.

Drops hand grenade about lake balls and runs away :cool:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

TIA.

so annoyed with you, I was only saying yesterday that I do not need any more new golf ball but at that price for the Honma balls I just could not resisto_Oo_O

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
TaylorMade Tour Response is the direct replacement for the Project (a)
I use the Bridgestone Tour B RXS (the softer one for swing speeds under 105MPH) and am very happy with them

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to go off topic but I don't buy into the swing speed thing.

Having used both the B330s and the B330RXS I do and back a few years ago when Nike did a similar thing with the one Tour and the one Tour D the difference for me was nearly one club with irons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you hit these 1 club further than a prov1?
This data backs him up to be fair. Their 'slow' was 85mph.

8ironslow.PNG

In basic terms, the ProV1 is a firm ball so you need a good amount of swing speed to actually compress it properly. The RX, RXS & Tour Response are all lower compression 3-piece and easier to maximise distance if you have a slower swing. Lower spin as well of course.

ProV1s are not designed for amateurs with slow swings. They're not going to tell you that since 80% of them buy them anyway. :LOL:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

View attachment 44141

In basic terms, the ProV1 is a firm ball so you need a good amount of swing speed to actually compress it properly. The RX, RXS & Tour Response are all lower compression 3-piece and easier to maximise distance if you have a slower swing. Lower spin as well of course.

ProV1s are not designed for amateurs with slow swings. They're not going to tell you that since 80% of them buy them anyway. :LOL:
They’re also a damn sight cheaper!

Springveldt

Visit site

View attachment 44141

The slow 85mph swing was for driver, the 8 iron was actually at 65mph I think.
Technically it's nothing to do with compression at that swing speed (especially with irons) and more to do with spin. The ProV1 simply spins way more than the "softer" balls. Launches lower and spins more means less carry.
The only swing speed "rule" I would adhere to was if I had a driver swing speed in excess of 115mph that I would use a firmer ball. At that speed the softer balls don't transfer the energy as well as the firmer ball and will lose a bit of distance off the driver but also will not spin as well on iron shots. With that speed control is much more important than distance imho.
I always find that the softer lower spin Urethane balls like BRX, AVX and the old Project(a) were all at least 1/2 club longer off mid irons and I didn't really notice any difference off the driver (my swing speed is around or just over 100mph). The Honma TW-X I've used all year is definitely shorter off my mid irons than the BR-X/AVX I used in previous years, it took me a few rounds to notice and get used to it. It also stops faster on the greens than the AVX (1st version which was stupidly low spin).