Project a replacement

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The slow 85mph swing was for driver, the 8 iron was actually at 65mph I think.
Technically it's nothing to do with compression at that swing speed (especially with irons) and more to do with spin. The ProV1 simply spins way more than the "softer" balls. Launches lower and spins more means less carry.
The only swing speed "rule" I would adhere to was if I had a driver swing speed in excess of 115mph that I would use a firmer ball. At that speed the softer balls don't transfer the energy as well as the firmer ball and will lose a bit of distance off the driver but also will not spin as well on iron shots. With that speed control is much more important than distance imho.
I always find that the softer lower spin Urethane balls like BRX, AVX and the old Project(a) were all at least 1/2 club longer off mid irons and I didn't really notice any difference off the driver (my swing speed is around or just over 100mph). The Honma TW-X I've used all year is definitely shorter off my mid irons than the BR-X/AVX I used in previous years, it took me a few rounds to notice and get used to it. It also stops faster on the greens than the AVX (1st version which was stupidly low spin).
Yeah, the 85mph was relative to driver swing speed, not 85 with the actual 8 iron. ?

You are also right to say there was not as much difference on the driver distances with those balls I listed. But I selected iron as that was relevant to what Jim said about being a club longer/shorter. Personally using Tour Response as I've mentioned, so I'm happy I'm getting good iron distance so I can hopefully be hitting 7 iron instead of 6 iron and so on. Every little helps. A few years ago I tried those Inesis Tour 900 balls and I really did notice them being a club shorter - the data on MGS backs that up as they have one of the highest spin ratings. Personally don't think I'd benefit from lots of spin around the greens, I'm more comfortable playing chip and runs with a PW or 8i anyway. Would rather take the distance.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Inesis balls are awful!
I prefer a lower spinning ball as I spin it too much with driver.
The proV1 does not spin high with a driver. I also like the AVX for the same reason.
I have no issue stopping any of those on the green.
My driver swing speed is about 90 mph.

Springveldt

Visit site
The Inesis balls are awful!
I prefer a lower spinning ball as I spin it too much with driver.
The proV1 does not spin high with a driver. I also like the AVX for the same reason.
I have no issue stopping any of those on the green.
My driver swing speed is about 90 mph.
I’m surprised by the AVX as you play a links course as well. Last season during the summer I noticed the AVX roll out quite a bit more than the Tour BX, especially on pitch shots from around 60-90 yards. Like I said though, the AVX was the 1st generation ones supposedly the newer ones have more spin on those shots.
When the greens are a bit softer the AVX would stop with no issues.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m surprised by the AVX as you play a links course as well. Last season during the summer I noticed the AVX roll out quite a bit more than the Tour BX, especially on pitch shots from around 60-90 yards. Like I said though, the AVX was the 1st generation ones supposedly the newer ones have more spin on those shots.
When the greens are a bit softer the AVX would stop with no issues.
Links greens get watered well so not any harder to stop the ball on.

Larry long dog

Visit site
I bought some project a last week from premier lake balls as I have always been a fan. 60 for £70 (split between me and a mate) and all but 2 are mint. I preferred the original project a as opposed to the red marking on the ball (there’s probably very little difference but in my head there was ?)

I’ve played the tour response too and they are as good (if not better) but a little pricier. Also played the Honma TWS which are great. Still haven’t got around to trying the TWX but will try keep an eye out for a deal on them.