Professional Rankings

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is there by any chance a LiV event this week?
Not too sure which thread this ought to go on, and just an observation really.

Last week, the three events giving out the most OWGR points were all run by the PGA Tour organisation, and all in North America.

#missionaccomplished ?
Where else in the world had events that had fields better that the ones in the US?

That's because OWGR is all about the US.....just like they think all golf is about the US.
Who is they?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The best golfers generally play in the US, so not surprising.

A mate just told me McIlroy is No.2 in the world, but closer in points to the World No. 4000 than he is to Scheffler. Not fact checked it, but it sounds like it could be true :)
aviary-image-1713852285506.jpeg
The gap is more than Rory has above zero, so Scheffler could put his feet up for a fair while!

I recall Rory saying a bit back he felt the two year cycle they use was too long - perhaps he had an feeling on what was coming!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Who’s your top 10? Doesn’t have to be in order.

I'm not sure Hovland deserves to be in there on current form (but that's over a short period rather than the two years the OWGR is using) I'd take Cantlay out possibly Harman. Rory isn't number two either - I'd have to go with Wyndham there.

BDC, Cam Smith and Niemann would all be contenders for a place in the top 10

Swango1980

Visit site
View attachment 52940
The gap is more than Rory has above zero, so Scheffler could put his feet up for a fair while!

I recall Rory saying a bit back he felt the two year cycle they use was too long - perhaps he had an feeling on what was coming!
I'm currently sitting on zero World Ranking Points. Looks like this means the gap between myself and Rory McIlroy is closer than the gap between him and Scheffler :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure Hovland deserves to be in there on current form (but that's over a short period rather than the two years the OWGR is using) I'd take Cantlay out possibly Harman. Rory isn't number two either - I'd have to go with Wyndham there.

BDC, Cam Smith and Niemann would all be contenders for a place in the top 10
The Data Golf list is interesting. They have Hatton and Niemann in the top 10, Bryson 15, but Smith is only at number 40. I guess he's been off form a little bit lately? Cantlay is actually at 6, but Harman is 23, which seems fair. He's still dining out on that Open win a little bit (plus a T2 at the Players).

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
I don’t know how Smoth can be called top 10 on current form when he isn’t one of the top 10 in LIV rankings this season.
Niemann, Rahm & Burmester are the top 3 at present.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I don’t know how Smoth can be called top 10 on current form when he isn’t one of the top 10 in LIV rankings this season.
Niemann, Rahm & Burmester are the top 3 at present.
Smith has spent most of his career outside the top 10. He had one exceptional year and one good year that catapulted him up the rankings. Now he appears to have returned to his pre 2022 form.

Decent, but not exceptional.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Smith has spent most of his career outside the top 10. He had one exceptional year and one good year that catapulted him up the rankings. Now he appears to have returned to his pre 2022 form.

Decent, but not exceptional.
I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s one of the top players. But, if basing top 10 on current form, I don’t know how you can include someone who isn’t even top 10 in LIV.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
That graphic of the OWGR with Scottie is an eye opener - I don't think I've ever seen a gap of more than 2 points between 1st & 2nd, never mind over 7 points.... maybe Tiger at his peak? Whilst I don't think the OWGR is actually relevant anymore as a metric (I get the argument that 'they' knew the situation relating to ranking points, but an 'official' ranking system that only ranks some professional golfers doesn't seem right - regardless of the format), but it is absolutely correct that Scottie is miles better than anyone else.

But it's a double edged sword, whilst he is the undisputed no. 1, the others are open to debate - McIlroy is default 2nd thanks to Rahm; Rahm is hanging around (by virtue of the fact the Zurich has no ranking points) but by the time of the next Major could be down to 8th; Fleetwood might actually be the 11th best player in the world but its all established using a metric that ignores others so it means people can reasonably speculate with regard to BDC, Niemann & even Gooch. In a very short space of time it looks like Aberg will be ranked within the top 5 - I'm usually okay with meteoric rises but in 10 tournaments (including the masters), the guy could retire but has yet to win.

There is definitely a lack of competition, but more for those ranked behind Scheffler, but the current system is underlining the point. A diluted system would at least provide some interest - like who is actually the highest ranked regular DPWT player? It's not really Pavon as he's played most of his 2024 golf in the US, so maybe Hoshino or Svensson? The reality is the OGWR ranks PGAT players only - the other 'world' tours are only an afterthought.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
That graphic of the OWGR with Scottie is an eye opener - I don't think I've ever seen a gap of more than 2 points between 1st & 2nd, never mind over 7 points.... maybe Tiger at his peak? Whilst I don't think the OWGR is actually relevant anymore as a metric (I get the argument that 'they' knew the situation relating to ranking points, but an 'official' ranking system that only ranks some professional golfers doesn't seem right - regardless of the format), but it is absolutely correct that Scottie is miles better than anyone else.

But it's a double edged sword, whilst he is the undisputed no. 1, the others are open to debate - McIlroy is default 2nd thanks to Rahm; Rahm is hanging around (by virtue of the fact the Zurich has no ranking points) but by the time of the next Major could be down to 8th; Fleetwood might actually be the 11th best player in the world but its all established using a metric that ignores others so it means people can reasonably speculate with regard to BDC, Niemann & even Gooch. In a very short space of time it looks like Aberg will be ranked within the top 5 - I'm usually okay with meteoric rises but in 10 tournaments (including the masters), the guy could retire but has yet to win.

There is definitely a lack of competition, but more for those ranked behind Scheffler, but the current system is underlining the point. A diluted system would at least provide some interest - like who is actually the highest ranked regular DPWT player? It's not really Pavon as he's played most of his 2024 golf in the US, so maybe Hoshino or Svensson? The reality is the OGWR ranks PGAT players only - the other 'world' tours are only an afterthought.
You obviously don’t remember Tiger’s dominance over everyone else.

Also, Aberg has won 4 times. One on PGA tour, one on DPW Tour, twice on the Nordic tour.

wjemather

Visit site
That graphic of the OWGR with Scottie is an eye opener - I don't think I've ever seen a gap of more than 2 points between 1st & 2nd, never mind over 7 points.... maybe Tiger at his peak?
This was just after completing the Tiger Slam:

1713876838906.png

And that wasn't even the peak!! That (total points and gap to second) came the following month after wins in Germany and at Memorial.

Attachments

• 1713877366795.png
    1713877366795.png
    58 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BiMGuy

Visit site
Under the old system, Tiger at times had (almost) 3 times as many points as second place. He was in a completely different class to everyone else.
Not taking anything away from him, but Scotty isn’t even close to what Tiger achieved.

Random week from 2000

IMG_7724.jpeg