pro v1 alternative

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
any suggestions on a different ball as tell seem to not last so long with the wedges,i trying the burner tp but they dont seem to stop as quick but wear well or can i not have both in one ball

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good post as I used a prov1 the other day and was very impressed, well atleast untill i sent it in the drink, which I do alot!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Call me mad...and people have questioned my sanity on here before...but i.m.o. there simply isn't a ball out there that is a "similar" alternative. I haven't found one.
The pro v seems unique to me; I personally don't like it a great deal.....but that's because I use distance balls and putting with a pro v is totally different. If you like it, you like it, and will struggle to match it....it's a class act.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
yeah the burner tp is a superb ball it feels just as soft but does not stop as quick, i just cant jusify ripping new balls up with wedge shots like i get with a pro v1

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have tried loads and cant find anything that gives me everything that the V1x does.

Closest is the Bridgestone Tour or the Srixon ZUR-S

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didnt realise how long pro v1's where, I was always under the impression they would be short because they where soft. Out drive my 333's by a good 30 yards i wreckon!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
yeah i never played any nike balls i imagine any premium ball must be great its just how long they last,going through a dozen a month makes this game even more expensive

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is interesting, i used a pro V1 yesterday for the first time for a few holes but could'nt get it to spin at all. On the 8th i changed to my callaway tour ix, PW onto the green one bounce and stopped dead which i have found from them, i use them for a couple of rounds then they go in the bag for bounce games if their not to badly scuffed.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Used the Nike one platinum for the first time yesterday in the medal round. Even after 82 hits it still has a bit of life left in it, was very impressed by the distance and it stopped well on the short stuff. At the end of the day, if it's good enough for Tiger Woods.....................

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are other points to be addressed here:

Are we pleased if a ball lasts one single round?

After a round, would we consider teeing it up for the following medal?

Can we afford to tee up a new Pro V1 every medal?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say I used a sleeve of Z-URS which I got in our Xmas raffle and thought they were pretty damn good. They were good for length and the stop and spin wer as good as the Pro V I tend to favour (and given the limited spin etc the idiot holding the club actually imparts these days).

I have a soft spot for the Callaway HX Tour after using them last year. I also have a dozen TP Black sitting waiting for my game to them justice (courtesy of my lovely neighbour for cat sitting for her!). These seem to be getting good press and I'm keen to try them and the new Callaway ball

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my experience the V1x is similar in durability to the V1 it just feels a bit firmer and I dont spin it out of control.
On the spin thing,IMHO it is harder to control it than generate in the first place.
The big thing for me with the V1 family is the feel off the putter, to me they feel even better than the old "professional" did.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never buy pro V's as I can guarantee to find at least one a round, then use it til I lose it. can't say I can see what the fuss is but then I can't generate the control they seem to demand - any more than those who lost them in the first place.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have found the callaway Hx Tour 56 balls to be very very similar to the titleist offering (as long as I can remember I have been using titleist professional 90's and prov1's), but, durability is worse on the callaway.