Pro shops, does anyone buy from them?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just looking at Gamola prices and most multi-compound grips appear to be around the £9 -£10 plus p&p, so I don't think your pro is over charging especially if he fitted them for you. The cost of grips do seem to have increased since last year, probably due to fluctuations in the pound against other currencies. Yes, you can buy grips cheaper off the internet, but there are a lot of fakes out there.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just bought 13 golf pride mcc4 align grips on eBay for 40 quid. Plus a few quid on grip tape.

These are from a reputable seller and are legit.

My local pro is selling them for 11.99 each...

I personally have never really seen the value in using a pro exclusivly. though I admit that that it is obvious people have Experienced differently on here.

Suppose it’s swings and roundabout though as I have had a couple of bargains recently.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The problem with pro shops is: no one really appreciates them until one day they are suddenly gone. As in almost any line of business, it is impossible for a small store to compete with internet prices. But we all want the pro shop to be there when we roll up at the club and suddenly notice that we don't have any balls left or that we need a new glove. Or when we want a club regripped.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I just bought 13 golf pride mcc4 align grips on eBay for 40 quid. Plus a few quid on grip tape.

I personally have never really seen the value in using a pro exclusivly. though I admit that that it is obvious people have Experienced differently on here.

Suppose it’s swings and roundabout though as I have had a couple of bargains recently.

Do you have a link please?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302658525793

Noticed the price is actually £48. Still a considerable saving over rrp. Looking at adore grips the same would have cost me around £155

I fitted these myself last week and I am very happy with them. Really tacky and soft.

Your link doesn’t work for me on my phone
But I’d suggest at £48 for 13 grips, new Align model, then you’ve bought fakes

Can’t buy them direct at that price....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is a joke. Members try to use him, well they have no choice really as any comp winnings go in to the shop to be spent there!!! Anything that is ordered takes WEEKS to arrive, which I have had experience of, so by the time it arrives (in my case) it was no use to wear until the following season. He's only still there because he get paid very poorly for the hours he does.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your link doesn’t work for me on my phone
But I’d suggest at £48 for 13 grips, new Align model, then you’ve bought fakes

Can’t buy them direct at that price....

Links working for me.

Search for

X13 GOLF PRIDE MCC PLUS 4 ALIGN GRIPS Grey/Black [X13 BRAND NEW]

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302625131667

Seller has is UK based, has 100% feedback over 500 sales and lots of feedback specifically for these items.

I already had one of these grips fitted to my driver (fitted by my pro incidently) and it is absolutely identical in terms of font size, font style, feel, exact grip pattern, stitching for the cord grip, length etc

I am pretty confident these are not fakes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I just bought 9 x Golf Pride MCC grips on ebay for £27.95, my pro fitted them same day for £2 each, saved 50% on the price he charges to supply and fit. I could have fitted them myself, but having done it before, his fee to fit far out weighed my desire to do the work myself.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just bought 9 x Golf Pride MCC grips on ebay for £27.95, my pro fitted them same day for £2 each, saved 50% on the price he charges to supply and fit. I could have fitted them myself, but having doen it before, his fee to fit far out weighed my desire to do the work myself.

yeh, you just mostly Baught fake grips btw. £3 a grip? they are £9 in the shops and £5/6 at trade. in fact I'd guarantee they are fake

more the reason to by them from a pro shop

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
yeh, you just mostly Baught fake grips btw. £3 a grip? they are £9 in the shops and £5/6 at trade. in fact I'd guarantee they are fake

more the reason to by them from a pro shop

The thought did occur to me. Did look at the difference between the ones supplied and the ones in the pro shop, side by side couldn't tell them apart, even the pro couldn't. The only obvious difference was the label on the supplied grips states made in Taiwan, whilst the ones in the pro shop doesn't. They feel fine, if they last me a season (mostly play 4 times a week through the summer), they've done their job. If they don't last that long, then I've lost out, but not end of the world.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thought did occur to me. Did look at the difference between the ones supplied and the ones in the pro shop, side by side couldn't tell them apart, even the pro couldn't. The only obvious difference was the label on the supplied grips states made in Taiwan, whilst the ones in the pro shop doesn't. They feel fine, if they last me a season (mostly play 4 times a week through the summer), they've done their job. If they don't last that long, then I've lost out, but not end of the world.

i have two fake grips thay are still going strong too

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem with pro shops is: no one really appreciates them until one day they are suddenly gone. As in almost any line of business, it is impossible for a small store to compete with internet prices. But we all want the pro shop to be there when we roll up at the club and suddenly notice that we don't have any balls left or that we need a new glove. Or when we want a club regripped.

Playing devils advocate a bit here but surely most of what you say could be sold from a vending machine. One with a few gloves, tees and tubes of balls would do he job. Only emergency item that I have needed that could not be sold from a vending machine is when I forgot my shoes but even then I was tempted not to play rather than pay the sky high pro shop prices.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Playing devils advocate a bit here but surely most of what you say could be sold from a vending machine. One with a few gloves, tees and tubes of balls would do he job. Only emergency item that I have needed that could not be sold from a vending machine is when I forgot my shoes but even then I was tempted not to play rather than pay the sky high pro shop prices.

Never thought about a ball and glove vending machine, but you might be right. Quite a few smaller golf clubs I know don't have a full pro shop anymore, just sell balls, tees, gloves etc. from their reception/office area, and that is sufficient for most occasions. Still, I like our pro shop and wouldn't want it to close for good.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never thought about a ball and glove vending machine, but you might be right. Quite a few smaller golf clubs I know don't have a full pro shop anymore, just sell balls, tees, gloves etc. from their reception/office area, and that is sufficient for most occasions. Still, I like our pro shop and wouldn't want it to close for good.

I can see the point. Guess much depends on your relationship with the pro and the shop. Had some pros who I did not hit it off with at a couple of clubs early on and so never got into the habit of using the club pro for anything and I guess that has continued. I would not miss it if there was no pro shop at my club or most of my previous clubs but do appreciate that some clubs have a good one that is worth hanging on to.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm more than happy to buy from our pro. She'll price match the likes of Clubhouse and AG and often has great deals on things like gloves, balls and clothing. In fact, my last few major purchases have all been from club pros - irons, fairways and hybrid from one 18 miles away, first person to properly fit me into some irons.

Galvin Green waterproof, windproof and pullover from previous club pro and Galvin waterproof pants and bushnell from current pro.

I also have the option of buying from my teaching pro who has recently taken over as head pro at another local club and will also price match.