Pro shops, does anyone buy from them?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new driver, nothing too fancy (i.e. expensive) and have been pondering a Cobra F6. Pretty much everyone online has them at £159.

I visited Hamptworth today for a round and whilst I was checking in and paying I noticed a bag full of drivers for sale, most of the Cobras were F7's but they did have one F6 (not shrink wrapped but looked new). However I quickly put it down when I saw it was priced at £299!

I guess someone must buy from the Pro shops, else they wouldn't bother, but I could never see myself paying such a premium for the convenience of buying in my local shop.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
If I’ve not had time to get some I’ll maybe pick up the odd sleeve of balls . As for the clubs and clothing . You’d need to be crazy to pay the prices in the pro shop .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new driver, nothing too fancy (i.e. expensive) and have been pondering a Cobra F6. Pretty much everyone online has them at £159.

I visited Hamptworth today for a round and whilst I was checking in and paying I noticed a bag full of drivers for sale, most of the Cobras were F7's but they did have one F6 (not shrink wrapped but looked new). However I quickly put it down when I saw it was priced at £299!

I guess someone must buy from the Pro shops, else they wouldn't bother, but I could never see myself paying such a premium for the convenience of buying in my local shop.

We've had a new pro and assistant for about 18-20 month and they have been fantastic. The old pro was a mate of mine I'd known for many years, certainly before I joined the club and so would do me a deal, especially on my FJ's but these guys have really worked hard to get far better stock, be ultra competitive with price and will match online offers. If they had more shop space they could do more. The only gripe is a lot of their clothing has the club logo. I don't mind a few bits but I would say 80% of the clothing has it on.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, I’ll normally buy from the pro shop if I can.

Theyre part of the Foremost Group, so can get most things in within a day or two if not in stock, they match online prices, and they give an annual rebate of 3% on total spend.

Plus I like to support the pro shop at my club, they do a lot of good stuff around the club (free clinics etc), and you can always ask them for advice if needed.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ours price match where possible (actually never come across a situation where they won’t match an online price). Really good guys. They also sell off ex-demo clubs for cracking prices.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep exactly as Break says - will buy most of my stuff from the Pro Shop - for me they are an essential part of our club and even if they don’t stock what I want they will look to get it for me and will always price match. They are also part of the foremost group

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours price match where possible (actually never come across a situation where they won’t match an online price). Really good guys. They also sell off ex-demo clubs for cracking prices.

Our place is the same as well as 'Mad Friday' & other crazy-day deals...... just this week I got a lightweight Sunice waterproof with 40% off... Real-Deal!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I do if the price is right
Ours is pretty limited but he does price match if he can.
Dont mind paying a couple of quid more but not to much.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought my new irons from the pro shop. Got a good deal, good discount under RRP, used shop credit and vouchers, trusted retailer, some prov1s chucked in. No brainer really!

Last edited:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't buy anything more than a Mars bar from the pro shop then there's a good chance of losing it.

We haven't got a pro shop but I do use another local clubs shop. Every birthday and Xmas I get asked what I want so just say pro shop vouchers and I get to choose what I want when I need it.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've just realised the driver was a F6+ so would be £20 or so more anyway, £299 is the MRRP. Do online retailers (such as OnlineGolf which appears to be the online arm of American Golf) get a much better deal which allows then to undercut the locals so much?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Like any where if they find someone to pay full price Happy Days, but most Pro shops I have bought from when asked will offer a deal and price match Major internet golf sites

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve bought the majority of all my clubs and clothes from the Pro shop, even my irons I was fitted for by Titleist. He price matches mainly against Clubhouse so he’s very fair.

He’s part of Foremost.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As all my winnings go in to the pro shop the answer is yes. Plus I will always have a look around when he has a sale on. My main problem is that I hardly ever really need or want new golf stuff. I mainly buy secondhand nearly new stuff.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I'll always try to support my pro shop in the first instance. Sometimes I have AG vouchers for xmas or birthday presents so I don't when this is the case.

My pro shop is priced well in my opinion.