Pro quip

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all,
My waterproofs have given up the ghost, don't want to spend more than £100, looking at pro Quip as pro shop sells them and under armour ones, are there any models that you think I should be looking at.
Cheers
Midnight...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of waterproofs work really well, but the real test comes in with personal fit.
I've a couple of pro Quip jackets, no leaks - the more expensive one being completely waterproof (I thinknthenother is only designed as showerproof and tends to become damp in heavy rain) and for me comfortable. It's my usual choice. Equally my pro Quip trousers do exactly what they are supposed to. Big thumbs up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got some Pro Quip trousers that are 10 yrs old now. Still keep the water out perfectly. When they eventually die I'll likely get another Pro Quip pair. They do good stuff, it's just not sexy. I don't care when it's belting down though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had several Pro quip jackets and trousers through the years and have never had any problems with them

All the ones I use at the moment would not be current versions probably

The most expensive ones I have had are Goretex bought over 25 years ago and now used in the garden and still totally waterproof.

Visit site
I was given Pro Quip waterproofs whilst marshalling at the 2010 Ryder Cup. Those that know their Ryder Cup history will know what I mean when I say that on that weekend I got to find out if they were infact waterproof or not. Pleased to report they were, so another ‘thumbs up’ for Pro Quip from me.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was given Pro Quip waterproofs whilst marshalling at the 2010 Ryder Cup. Those that know their Ryder Cup history will know what I mean when I say that on that weekend I got to find out if they were infact waterproof or not. Pleased to report they were, so another ‘thumbs up’ for Pro Quip from me.

I have some old Proquips which are this model I believe. Jacket is ok but the trousers leak really badly now. Absolutely useless in any sort of heavy rain.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Has anyone tried wearing less clothes when its raining rather than adding layers, and looking like a deckhand on a trawler, hoping to stay dry

I mean those lightweight golf shorts that dry in no time. Doesn't really matter if your legs get wet when playing golf and the shorts themselves are easy to play in even when raining
For top half I pop on a short sleeved wind/rain shirt if I don't think my golf top will dry quickly (again it doesn't really matter if my arms get wet)

I get that at this time of year its not going to give you warmth but that's not the primary function of waterproofs

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone tried wearing less clothes when its raining rather than adding layers, and looking like a deckhand on a trawler, hoping to stay dry
:D

You would have thought that by now, one of the bigger companies would have made some waterproof trousers that don't look dreadful, but that just doesn't appear to have happened yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I know it is going to rain a lot and I am committed to playing then I will not wear trousers under my waterproof trousers, it just gets too warm. My waterproof trousers look huge but on a golf course the fashion police don't seem to be too severe 🤣.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yip Scotland in January with a north easterly 35 mph wind, 0 degrees with a wind chill of -6 plus a bit of hail or driving rain lends itself perfectly to shorts!

😲

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I mean those lightweight golf shorts that dry in no time. Doesn't really matter if your legs get wet when playing golf and the shorts themselves are easy to play in even when raining
For top half I pop on a short sleeved wind/rain shirt if I don't think my golf top will dry quickly (again it doesn't really matter if my arms get wet)

I get that at this time of year its not going to give you warmth but that's not the primary function of waterproofs

If I know it is going to rain when out there , in summer I only wear waterproof trousers on my bottom half and in winter it is waterproof trousers over long johns.

I absolutely hate feeling water on any exposed part of my body.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:D

You would have thought that by now, one of the bigger companies would have made some waterproof trousers that don't look dreadful, but that just doesn't appear to have happened yet.

There are plenty of companies that do this but they manly advertise them as ski wear or other 'sports'. Just take a decko in the Blacks/ Mountain Wharehouse type shops.