Prize money

Bigbas

Visit site
I run a twice weekly swindle for about 20 golfers - £1 entry fee - wnner takes all. Is this effected by the new ruling that says we cannot pay out cash prizes ??

I have conflicting information

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doubt it. Isn't a swindle a private operation where you can effectively do what you want? Call the prizes 'sponsorship'. It works for Man City and FFP.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Sorry ""money" seems to have autocorrected to "MONTH!"

Re-reading the link, the £700 is prize value limit in any amateur event The later bit about scratch events, muddies the water with its use of language, but I am sure a quid in the pot and dished out to participants isn't prize money in that context, its a sweep between participants.

Of course the "Disciples of the Rules will be along shortly! :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many swindles or roll ups up and down the country run every day, certainly weekends. I wouldn't worry about it. I play in two at the weekends. The Saturday one is £3 per head, paying out for 1st and 2nd. We cut the winner 2 shots x 3 weeks and runner up 1 shot x 3 weeks. The Sunday one is winner take all but the winner must buy a round for everyone else so although its £4 a head the take home isn't usually massive once the drinks are sorted.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Totally confusing message from the golfing authorities. Keep going with your roll ups and swindles - golf is supposed to be fun, so let's keep it that way!!!!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is not prize money it is a sweepstake

Q.

Within the context of the Policy on Gambling (Appendix) and Rule 7-2, what is meant by the terms “sweepstake”, “auction sweepstake” and “calcutta”?

A.

A “sweepstake” is one of the most common forms of gambling or wagering in golf in which each player has an option of placing a sum of money on himself. The same sum of money is placed by each player and the total sum collected is normally disbursed among the prize winners (assuming they have entered the sweepstake). Sweepstakes are approved provided the amount of money involved is not excessive.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I run a twice weekly swindle for about 20 golfers - £1 entry fee - wnner takes all. Is this effected by the new ruling that says we cannot pay out cash prizes ??

Accepting a cash prize has never been acceptable under the rules for Amateur golf. However what you are deacribing appears to be a sweepstake which is and always has been ok.

LoriSanchez

Visit site
What was the prize money? I am curious to know. I am waiting for your reply and till then I will search for a site or service online through which I can borrow money instantly. I need a loan urgently because my brother is in hospital and I need a lot of money for his operation. Can you please help me, guys?

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site

No! And I very much doubt it's affected by it either! Certainly not worth the bother of policing it! It is, after all a 'private' arrangement cf one organised by the club.