Price of new irons

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the price of a new set of irons is on the increase?
Titleist's new 718 MB are now running at £150 per iron so a set of 8 irons is now £1200. The new Taylormade P730's are expected to be over a £1000.
And Mizuno's new MP-18 are around £900. Clearly these are retail prices but I still don't see them offering much discount and as the 3 models chosen are all blades the manufacturers can't say it's the technology involved like the Callaway Epic Pro's and they're £1500!!

I haven't bought a new set for few years so was very surprised when I started hunting around for my potential new set. Have I missed something, price of metal, exchange rates etc?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the price of a new set of irons is on the increase?
Titleist's new 718 MB are now running at £150 per iron so a set of 8 irons is now £1200. The new Taylormade P730's are expected to be over a £1000.
And Mizuno's new MP-18 are around £900. Clearly these are retail prices but I still don't see them offering much discount and as the 3 models chosen are all blades the manufacturers can't say it's the technology involved like the Callaway Epic Pro's and they're £1500!!

I haven't bought a new set for few years so was very surprised when I started hunting around for my potential new set. Have I missed something, price of metal, exchange rates etc?

falling value of the pound against the dollar

brexit.

D

Deleted Member 1156

falling value of the pound against the dollar

brexit.

The pound has dropped about 10% against the dollar but prices have risen much more than that. Manufacturers are cashing in and trying to take us for a ride.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got a full set of MP4 (3=PW)when they came out, what 3 years ago. less than £800, new set same spec £1000. with no significant gain of any sort. that sort of increase isn't the weakness of the pound

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
you can get the titleist irons for £128 but £150 does make your post sound better.

they are charging it because people are paying it. only 1 hour ago my friend just bought the Taylormade p770 4 to pw for £470 on eBay that are only a few rounds old. just goes to show what you can still pick clubs up for. if your the type of person that loves the new stuff then its gonna cost you. otherwise, just wait 6 months and its business as usual

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rich man's sport - people will and can afford these clubs. I personally am not on the bread line but I also don't drive a Bentley either!

I generally buy a set that's a year old - you can normally still get fitted and the clubs are normally cheaper.

Also I spoke with my pro when I upgraded to the 2016 EZ Forged and set up a direct debit payment and it cost me £75 over the course of a few months.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm glad I got my clubs when I did

When I got my first adult set at 15 I got Texan classics.. £150 complete set job

When I was 25 I got ping g15s now at the time g20s were out so last year model.. £399 I paid for 4-SW

Just before my 30th (in line with the double trade in deal) I decided to treat myself to a current model set.. before prices went sky high.. that years models

So titleist ap1 716s £559 however got £225 for the pings (not bad for their age at the time!)

Got brand new 3 wood and driver again used trade ins

However when I got new wedges I saved a bit got all sm5s rather than sm6.. 2 off eBay brand new and one off this forum

my plan is (which having kids will make it almost unable to not stick to) is nothing else until im 41 ish... when I get my £500 vouchers from work for 25 years service.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I generally buy a set that's at least thirty years old.

Much better than today's stuff and the most I've paid is £35 for 3 to SW, the least £15.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you can get the titleist irons for £128 but £150 does make your post sound better.

they are charging it because people are paying it. only 1 hour ago my friend just bought the Taylormade p770 4 to pw for £470 on eBay that are only a few rounds old. just goes to show what you can still pick clubs up for. if your the type of person that loves the new stuff then its gonna cost you. otherwise, just wait 6 months and its business as usual

I just went with the price on the Titleist web site and I'm sure you can buy used clubs for a lot less but that's not really the point is it?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was trying make the point about the price of new irons rather than how cheap you can buy an old set for.

I thought it might be brexit/exchange rates or the cost of the metals involved (apparently they have increased significantly in Japan) or is it because one of the manufacturers have increased their prices and the rest have followed?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just went with the price on the Titleist web site and I'm sure you can buy used clubs for a lot less but that's not really the point is it?

The point is you can buy them brand new for less than £150 per iron. Plenty of places have them for sale for less than that.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes that's true but they're still around £900, prices just seem to have been slowly creeping up.

My point is if you're gonna talk about price increases then use the actual prices they are generally for sale at rather than the RRP, which was also the point previously made by another poster which you seemed to have confused with the prices of 2nd hand equipment or end of line stock.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My point is if you're gonna talk about price increases then use the actual prices they are generally for sale at rather than the RRP, which was also the point previously made by another poster which you seemed to have confused with the prices of 2nd hand equipment or end of line stock.

The previous poster commented on his MP4's being under £800 3 years ago and the new replacements being a £1000.
I wasn't going to look at every price on the net but was just making the point of the increases that's all!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The previous poster commented on his MP4's being under £800 3 years ago and the new replacements being a £1000.
I wasn't going to look at every price on the net but was just making the point of the increases that's all!

Another poster also made the point that you can get this year's brand new MB irons for less than £150 a club.

But we're going round in circles and as we're now agreed that they are generally available for less than £150 per club then it's over and out from me...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought some Vokey wedges a couple of years back for around £75 each now they're about £125 i believe

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought some Vokey wedges a couple of years back for around £75 each now they're about £125 i believe

vokeys always seem to be £120 now for brand new unless you shop around

my mate can do SM6 for example for £80 each I think he said but thats mates rates no profit kinda thing

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it's also worth checking what your golf insurance equipment limit is. If drivers are about £400, fairway woods £150 each, iron sets £900+ and wedges £120 each + a putter and bag and you're knocking on the door of £2k.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

my MP 4 came in at £99 per club and were 3-pW the new ones are £130 plus for the same spec

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Trouble is, labour rates in China have gone up markedly in the last few years. Now we can no longer exploit foreign workers to the extent we were , we have to pay the price.